• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2016 5:03 pm
[OP]
Jul 12, 2006
423 posts
28 upvotes

Shoe Repair options?

I have a pair of shoes, which I was getting comfortable wearing. They had been sitting around for over 5 years. I find them nice to walk around in this weather, they handle the road hardness well. My other shoes have soles which are either too hard or soft.

Anyway, one of the pair has a peeling sole. It appears an easy repair. Should I take it to a shoe repair shop or are there DIY options which are cheaper and as likely to succeed as a pro?

I doubt there are proper cobblers in Scarborough who will take sow the sole on. Can't I just glue the thing on and have the repair last? What I am afraid of is to repair it, and find myself shoeless on the road, far from home.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21199 posts
10689 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
if it's a goodyear welted shoe then take it to a cobbler and get a new sole put on. If it's a cheaper shoe then just buy some shoe glue (higher end stuff that the shoe repair establishments would use) and glue that 'ish on yourself.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
402 upvotes
Are these shoes expensive? For fear of ruining a good pair of shoes, I would take it to a shoe repair. If the sole is old/peeling off/cracking (since it has been sitting around for a while), you can just replace the entire sole.

For DIY, I would only know to do it by hot glue or super glue. Hot glue will not stick to leather materials and I'm afraid super glue will cause permanent damage to your shoe. If you don't care when the soles are gone and wouldn't replace it anymore, then i guess gluing it is fine.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6077 posts
1696 upvotes
The mall at Steeles Ave & Don Mills has a shoe repair place that can re-glue the sole for you but I think you should buy better quality shoes for the long run.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1337 upvotes
kmarcie wrote: Are these shoes expensive? For fear of ruining a good pair of shoes, I would take it to a shoe repair. If the sole is old/peeling off/cracking (since it has been sitting around for a while), you can just replace the entire sole.

For DIY, I would only know to do it by hot glue or super glue. Hot glue will not stick to leather materials and I'm afraid super glue will cause permanent damage to your shoe. If you don't care when the soles are gone and wouldn't replace it anymore, then i guess gluing it is fine.
Use only premium contact cement with high solids for gluing shoes !
[OP]
Jul 12, 2006
423 posts
28 upvotes
These are faux leather shoes, nice looking, the last is stable, and they're quite comfortable. I saw Shoe Goo and read some good reviews.

The sole is fine, this pair sat around, and I guess the glue dried up or something. I don't know if @EdT586 was serious about the contact cement.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2503 upvotes
Just repair it yourself and then wear it on short trips to test your glue job.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)