• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2020 12:11 am
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3949 posts
3570 upvotes
Markham

Shop for prescription eye glasses

Is there a eStore to shop for prescription eye glasses?

Would it be over all cheaper to buy precipitation eye glasses on line and go to a store to buy a spectacle frame and pay for the glass installation fee?

Has anyone such an experience?
14 replies
Feb 6, 2013
267 posts
224 upvotes
Mississauga
to be honest, unless the frame itself is the same it would be difficult to buy the glass online and get it installed instore.

I know that buying glasses online is scary but sites like zennioptical have good quality 3d imaging now that can help you find if the glasses would work on your face. In addition to the imaging, the pricing of online glasses are significantly cheaper than in store.

I purchased 3 pair of glasses, 2 regular and 1 sunglasses and I paid ~120 - 130 Canadian. This is splurging a bit and buying the better lens too.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27755 posts
27762 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I am still in the camp that glasses & most clothing
Needs to be bought in person / tried on
So we continue to do that
When it comes to Bricks & Mortar Stores for eyeglasses
We find Costco Canada to be good value

I also know some folks who buy their glasses when they are in the USA
Beyond just Costco
There are many discount optical stores stateside
But the folks who do this ... are either living near the border
Or in the US for extended periods of time (vacations / snowbirds)
Feb 6, 2013
267 posts
224 upvotes
Mississauga
PointsHubby wrote: I am still in the camp that glasses & most clothing

Beyond just Costco
If youre in the camp with people who need to go to a physical store, some stores like bon look and clearly contact have physical stores in Toronto. You can try on the glasses you like there and purchase it online for a relatively cheap price.

Honestly, I have purchased 5 pairs of glasses online now and it has been super easy and simple.

I know in the states, there is some companies that will let you order 4 - 5 pairs of glasses to try on at home and return if you dont like it.
Apr 25, 2019
376 posts
204 upvotes
i buy from google4u . cost around 50 cad for 2 pair of glasses delivered in canada. ask live chat for coupon.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27755 posts
27762 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ThomasTran03 wrote: If youre in the camp with people who need to go to a physical store, some stores like bon look and clearly contact have physical stores in Toronto. You can try on the glasses you like there and purchase it online for a relatively cheap price.

Honestly, I have purchased 5 pairs of glasses online now and it has been super easy and simple.

I know in the states, there is some companies that will let you order 4 - 5 pairs of glasses to try on at home and return if you dont like it.
Ya ok... but we don’t all live in Toronto or the GTA
:rolleyes:

As for buying online from the USA
Returning items is a potential headache
Due to the Customs issues ... due to Shipping, Duties & Taxes

I am sticking with Costco Canada for now
But taking a serious look at buying in the USA
Either while I am there on vacation
Or ... maybe using a parcel drop
A parcel drop would make these “try before you buy” glasses possible
And easier returns from in the USA than Canada for ones I wouldn’t want to keep
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2012
1273 posts
591 upvotes
Cambridge
PointsHubby wrote: I am still in the camp that glasses & most clothing

Beyond just Costco
How much do single vision prescription glasses typically cost at Costco (without exam)? I understand cost will vary by frame you choose but just trying to get an idea. Also, does Costco carry branded frames like Ray Ban?

Have been buying glasses online since few years now.. while it works ok, it's not a perfect fit. Just received wife's order of prescription Ray Ban sunglasses from Clearly but they are going back. They were about $200 bucks at Clearly, wondering how much will something like this be at local shops.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1654 posts
1225 upvotes
London, On
My optometrist has a pretty large selection of frames in his clinic and they are usually pretty well priced. I wonder if I would be able to find frames I like and find the same ones online for less. I've always been tempted to try online, but glasses have been one of those things I have stuck to in person so far. I think the fact I have coverage and so does my spouse, so I basically don't ever pay out of pocket for glasses, has furthered my reluctance to shop around as much.
Jan 17, 2013
778 posts
379 upvotes
For a store with reasonable prices or a store that you are confident that won't rip you off, check out Walmart Optical or Loblaw Optical. You get to earn PC Optimum points if it is from Loblaw Optical. Loblaw Optical can be found inside Real Canadian Superstore.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1654 posts
1225 upvotes
London, On
stack21 wrote: For a store with reasonable prices or a store that you are confident that won't rip you off, check out Walmart Optical or Loblaw Optical. You get to earn PC Optimum points if it is from Loblaw Optical. Loblaw Optical can be found inside Real Canadian Superstore.
My current pair I got from Superstore and didn't get points because I didn't have an offer on my account. But it was also during the 50% off sale so that was a better deal anyway.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2014
1051 posts
201 upvotes
Ajax
What are the best online sites to order prescription eyeglasses? Looking for a glossy/shiny black finish rectangular frame (decently branded) and standard lenses. Budget is $430.

I looked at the following sites but didn't really see what I was looking for:

SmartBuyglasses
Clearly
Framesdirect
Oct 20, 2018
302 posts
135 upvotes
Try Warbyparker

They have website and iOS/android app. Once you order once they keep your prescription so follow up orders are easy. Price is very decent and styles.

I ordered a pair recently and maxed everything out - frame/coatings/color change for UV and high index lens (thinner lens) came to $420. My insurance covers 400$ of it and I used Drop to earn 50k points on top!
Banned
Nov 3, 2020
112 posts
95 upvotes
Whatever you do, don’t buy from Clearly.ca

Extremely deceived with the quality of lenses.

Going back to Costco.
Veteran RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
3151 posts
3640 upvotes
Toronto
My wife is ordering from eyebuydirect Canadian site, getting not the basic but the one up Preferred lens (most popular, best value lenses) which is UV, anti reflective, anti scratch lenses. Wife buying 4 pairs (3 glasses, 1 Sunglasses) from $45 & $48, $62, $130 (sunglasses) each depending on what frames she has selected..and case included ($8) in that price...so reduce by $8 if you do not wish cases.

There is a code you can put in 'Friday' they mention on their website (buy 1 get 1 free plus 25% off). Makesure to apply the coupon code before paying.
Total price is under $196 for all four pairs with coupon code applied which I think is outstanding plus expedited shipping selected for $10 included in the under $200 price

Wife decided to go to this site as a co-worker has bought from this site a couple of separate times with 5 pairs so was a good reference.

****prior to confirming her order she has changed some things up adding a 5th pair or reading glasses to the mix.
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10192 posts
5514 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Broke my spec frame a few weeks ago. Went to RCSS and couldn't find anything that fit (arms too short, the integrated nosepiece on the frame don't work for me, and the price was rather high). Ended up buying a couple of Image Optical Groupon deal (~$59.95 - 25% special) last week after I found that they had frames from the designer/brand of the old frames. Used a 3.4 y.o. prescription (had the pupil distance somewhere) and filled in. Got one Rx for distance and one for computer. Additional $9.98 or 10 for shipping each. Both arrived today in the same package. Fit nicely. 2 pairs for ~$110 isn't too bad (one eye is -7 something).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)