Expired Hot Deals

[shop.ring.com] $99/$89 USD - Ring PoE Stick Up Cam (Indoor/Outdoor)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2019 11:12 am
[OP]
May 14, 2013
509 posts
754 upvotes
RFD

$99/$89 USD - Ring PoE Stick Up Cam (Indoor/Outdoor)

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
45% Off
Retailer:
shop.ring.com
This deal isn't for everyone, and I'm not here to debate home security systems. I've done my research, have tried Vivint and Nest, and ultimately found Ring was the best for me.

AFAIK, this is the lowest price these 2nd gen stick-up cameras have been. If you are a Ring Protect subscriber, you receive an additional 10% off for a total of $89 USD each, which works out to about $120 CAD/camera shipped, which is a great price for a PoE Outdoor Camera.

YMMV: If you aren't already a protect subscriber, try using promo code: "protectsubscriber "for 10% off.

This is the SECOND GENERATION Wired Stick Up Cam (with Power over Ethernet capability) - same camera as the Elite Cam ($200 USD) minus the PoE Injector.

There is a new "Elite" Stickup Cam at $200, which is basically the same camera (but includes a PoE Adapter). I don't need the PoE adapter, because I took some ideas from Vivint and purchased some Zinwell G.hn Powerline Ethernet Adapters (PLS 8141 and 8171) on ebay for cheap, and have been getting really good speeds through the Powerline connection.

**Just to be clear, the 3rd Gen Stick-Up Cams have always been cheaper than the 2nd Gen, but they do NOT have PoE capability. This is only hot if you are looking for PoE (1 ethernet cable providing power and ethernet, which is also low voltage wire so it can be passed through walls and still be up to electrical code. This bypasses the need to have or install an electrical outlet nearby.

Free international shipping to Canada, about 5 business days.
Last edited by TheAccountant on Dec 5th, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thread Summary
This is a 2nd Gen Wired Stick up camera (same camera as the current Stick Up Cam Elite).

"Ring rebranded Gen 2 Ring Stick Up Cam Wired into the Ring Stick Up Cam Elite. The cameras are literally the same, just a new name. Oh, and the Elite one now comes with a PoE adapter.

And instead of the Gen 2 Ring Stick Up Cam Battery, Ring offers the All-New Gen 3 Ring Stick Up Cam Battery/Plug-In/Solar. All three Gen 3 Ring Stick Up Cams are pretty much the same camera with different power options. They all have a compartment for the battery pack and a Micro USB port for either a plug-in adapter or solar panel. It’s just if you buy the Ring Stick Up Cam Solar, you get a solar panel with it, and if you get the Ring Stick Up Cam Plug-in, you’ll get a micro USB charging cable instead. You get the idea.

The Short Version:
Ring Stick Up Cam Elite/Wired Gen 2 = dual-band (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz), better field of view (150°H x 85°V), advanced motion detection, custom motion zones, Power over Ethernet support, Micro-USB AC Plug.
Ring Stick Up Cam Gen 3 Battery & Plug-in & Solar = 2.4 GHz only, smaller field of view (110°H x 57°V), standard motion detection, no motion zones, battery/solar/Micro-USB AC Plug powered."

This link provides a good overview of the differences between all the cams:

Stick Up Cam Differences

Common PoE Setups
98 replies
Nov 25, 2017
678 posts
471 upvotes
isn't this 129 on amazon canada with free echo dot for latest gen?
[OP]
May 14, 2013
509 posts
754 upvotes
RFD
Shawnies wrote: isn't this 129 on amazon canada with free echo dot for latest gen?
The latest gen does not have PoE. They took out the PoE capability to be able to produce and sell the stick-up camera cheaper and separated the PoE into a new product named the Stick Up "Elite" cam with PoE features.
Mar 17, 2015
131 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Shawnies wrote: isn't this 129 on amazon canada with free echo dot for latest gen?
Ring.com is free of tax and shipping so still cheaper even after exchange
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2006
1021 posts
394 upvotes
2nd gen also have 5G wifi which is a must for me.
and different sensors
150° horizontal, 85° vertical 2nd gen
vs
110° horizontal, 57° vertical 3rd gen
Jul 7, 2003
509 posts
209 upvotes
milkshake321 wrote: 2nd gen also have 5G wifi which is a must for me.
and different sensors
vs
Good to know, that's a pretty big difference. Didn't even notice there was a Gen2 and Gen3 camera as I'm only just jumping onto the Ring system and have ordered the alarm starter kit and doorbell 2. I was holding off buying the cameras but sounds like it's worth jumping on the Gen2 cameras at this discounted price.
Mar 17, 2015
131 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto, ON
milkshake321 wrote: 2nd gen also have 5G wifi which is a must for me.
and different sensors
vs
Good spot, will get 2 x 2nd Gen for sure.
Jul 7, 2003
509 posts
209 upvotes
Is the adaptor a universal type? I don't have anywhere to plug the camera in the backyard so thinking of going with the battery version for now. May try to figure out the power situation at a later time and then pick up an adaptor then. I see there are 3rd party vendors for them.

My alarm system just shipped out via UPS. Prior threads say they used FedEx. Now I'm a bit worried that I may be dinged for duties and brokerage fees.
[OP]
May 14, 2013
509 posts
754 upvotes
RFD
audiohs wrote: Is the adaptor a universal type? I don't have anywhere to plug the camera in the backyard so thinking of going with the battery version for now. May try to figure out the power situation at a later time and then pick up an adaptor then. I see there are 3rd party vendors for them.

My alarm system just shipped out via UPS. Prior threads say they used FedEx. Now I'm a bit worried that I may be dinged for duties and brokerage fees.
Not sure what you mean with universal adapter, but comes with a micro USB inline adapter plug to NA 120V outlet.

Basically, what is pictured here on the right:

I'd have to check the box, I'm not sure if I received the USB adapter on the left. I didn't really pay close attention because I power mine through Ethernet, which is fished through the external wall, about a 1/2 inch hole filled with caulking.
Jul 7, 2003
509 posts
209 upvotes
TheAccountant wrote: Not sure what you mean with universal adapter, but comes with a micro USB inline adapter plug to NA 120V outlet.

Basically, what is pictured here on the right:

I'd have to check the box, I'm not sure if I received the USB adapter on the left. I didn't really pay close attention because I power mine through Ethernet, which is fished through the external wall, about a 1/2 inch hole filled with caulking.
What I was trying to figure out if it's worth buying the battery powered camera now and adding the adapter later. If it's just a micro-USB port then I imagine that there are 3rd party adapters that would work instead of paying $39 for Ring's adapter. Or maybe I figure out a way to do PoE.
[OP]
May 14, 2013
509 posts
754 upvotes
RFD
audiohs wrote: What I was trying to figure out if it's worth buying the battery powered camera now and adding the adapter later. If it's just a micro-USB port then I imagine that there are 3rd party adapters that would work instead of paying $39 for Ring's adapter. Or maybe I figure out a way to do PoE.
I get you, I think we are a little confused here on the version of the Stick Up cam itself though. AFAIK the battery powered (Gen 2) cannot be used while the removable battery is charging. I'm not even sure if it has a PoE slot (i'm guessing it doesn't). So you'd likely have to replace the whole camera if you wanted a wired solution unless you were extremely good at DIY.

"Ring rebranded Gen 2 Ring Stick Up Cam Wired into the Ring Stick Up Cam Elite. The cameras are literally the same, just a new name. Oh, and the Elite one now comes with a PoE adapter.

And instead of the Gen 2 Ring Stick Up Cam Battery, Ring offers the All-New Gen 3 Ring Stick Up Cam Battery/Plug-In/Solar. All three Gen 3 Ring Stick Up Cams are pretty much the same camera with different power options. They all have a compartment for the battery pack and a Micro USB port for either a plug-in adapter or solar panel. It’s just if you buy the Ring Stick Up Cam Solar, you get a solar panel with it, and if you get the Ring Stick Up Cam Plug-in, you’ll get a micro USB charging cable instead. You get the idea.

The Short Version:
Ring Stick Up Cam Elite/Wired Gen 2 = dual-band (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz), better field of view (150°H x 85°V), advanced motion detection, custom motion zones, Power over Ethernet support, Micro-USB AC Plug.
Ring Stick Up Cam Gen 3 Battery & Plug-in & Solar = 2.4 GHz only, smaller field of view (110°H x 57°V), standard motion detection, no motion zones, battery/solar/Micro-USB AC Plug powered."

Stick Up Cam Differences...
Jul 7, 2003
509 posts
209 upvotes
TheAccountant wrote: I get you, I think we are a little confused here on the version of the Stick Up cam itself though. AFAIK the battery powered (Gen 2) cannot be used while the removable battery is charging. I'm not even sure if it has a PoE slot (i'm guessing it doesn't). So you'd likely have to replace the whole camera if you wanted a wired solution unless you were extremely good at DIY.

The Short Version:

Stick Up Cam Differences...
Thanks for the info. Their FAQ is very confusing and I assumed that all battery cameras had the option of dual power. I guess if I want a 2nd gen camera, I either figure out to run power to it, live with having to recharge the battery occasionally or get the solar power add-on. Hmmmm.....
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2006
1021 posts
394 upvotes
audiohs wrote: Thanks for the info. Their FAQ is very confusing and I assumed that all battery cameras had the option of dual power. I guess if I want a 2nd gen camera, I either figure out to run power to it, live with having to recharge the battery occasionally or get the solar power add-on. Hmmmm.....
Do not buy the 2nd gen Battery version which has an inferior sensor (i think it's the same that used in all 3rd gen) + no advanced detection.
I have the 2nd gen wired version, the ethernet port is built in. there is no ethernet adapter.
Last edited by milkshake321 on Apr 22nd, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.