Wheels and Tires

Shop where wheels are less likely to get scuffed?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2020 7:20 pm
[OP]
Member
Aug 23, 2014
372 posts
160 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Shop where wheels are less likely to get scuffed?

I’m in the market for a new set of winter tires. I’m looking for a shop in West GTA where I can buy them and have them installed where my nice alloy wheels are less likely to get scuffed. I heard some shops use some special equipment designed to minimize the chances of this from happening.
21 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
15038 posts
9439 upvotes
Toronto
I had my new winter tires installed a few weeks ago at Active green and ross on Evans Ave. I was pretty impressed.

Just checked, it's software called autoserve. The tech will take photos of your rims and stuff before installation. It will point any imperfections in the rims. Cost was $182
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1029 posts
737 upvotes
Ottawa
Costco. Their techs are trained well, and they do tires ALL DAY LONG. I am a teacher, and can do my own tires in the shop on a new machine and balancer. For the last set of 20s I bought... I took them to Costco. Not a mark, balanced perfectly.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
15038 posts
9439 upvotes
Toronto
Here OP, took a screen shot of their software. I'm not advocating for it but just thought it was really cool. I've never had a dealership or other services like this. I'm going to be bringing my other rims and tires there too. FYI, I did not buy the tires from them, I got them from Canadian Tire on clearance hence the $182 install/balance ect.. fee.

canadian-tire-michelin-x-ice-xi3-winter-tires-2396621/


Capture.JPG
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2016
2055 posts
1052 upvotes
Ontario
Lots of shops have old equipment and techs that only know the basics on balancing. Shops don't like spending a ton of money on equipment that will do the job right but cost 5x more when they know the majority won't have an issue...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 13, 2008
21778 posts
10872 upvotes
GTA
McLaren__F1 wrote: Not in the west end but Markham Alignment uses touchless machines.
https://markhamalignment.com/index.html#services
I believe that's the sister shop to iGarage. Also nearby is Braidan Wheel & Tire. I've never been so I can't comment on any personal experiences but I believe they use a touchless machine.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
30193 posts
16317 upvotes
Toronto
I bought new OZ rims and tires from Braiden last year and not a scratch on all of them.

I cannot say the same for a few other shops, joy city and ceo tires in recent years.
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 13, 2008
21778 posts
10872 upvotes
GTA
booblehead wrote: I bought new OZ rims and tires from Braiden last year and not a scratch on all of them.

I cannot say the same for a few other shops, joy city and ceo tires in recent years.
Yeah, stay away from CEO Tires. I did a write up about my experience with them scratching up my wheels a few months ago: tire-buying-install-simply-vs-ceo-vs-ot ... #p32298164

I'll probably end up going to Braiden myself the next time I need a swap done.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
29909 posts
10622 upvotes
Sanforized wrote: Yeah, stay away from CEO Tires. I did a write up about my experience with them scratching up my wheels a few months ago: tire-buying-install-simply-vs-ceo-vs-ot ... #p32298164
Yeah that sucks but them's the breaks when people have to touch your car (which is basically always when you want tyres removed/installed unfortunately). My anxietey goes through the roof when I have to get tyres, trust me.

The good news is, don't know if you've fixed those by now, but looks like those can all be fixed with wetsanding at worst.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
11910 posts
3569 upvotes
Ontario
Go to a dedicated tire shop that deals with nice expensive wheels they will have the proper equipment.

For example,

SimplyTire
Tires23

I have been to both & never had any issues with them as they work on cars with expensive wheels.
Jedi14 wrote: I’m in the market for a new set of winter tires. I’m looking for a shop in West GTA where I can buy them and have them installed where my nice alloy wheels are less likely to get scuffed. I heard some shops use some special equipment designed to minimize the chances of this from happening.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2006
18894 posts
2614 upvotes
Woodbridge
I've seen what happened, the shop blamed the Powdered Coating peeling. This is why I only deal with tires23.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 1, 2005
5879 posts
3546 upvotes
Toronto
sickcars wrote: Go to a dedicated tire shop that deals with nice expensive wheels they will have the proper equipment.

For example,

SimplyTire
Tires23

I have been to both & never had any issues with them as they work on cars with expensive wheels.
Unless things have changed, Simply Tire uses old machines and hand tools, which is more likely to scratch, plus look at some of the recent reviews.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
11910 posts
3569 upvotes
Ontario
I have gone there a few times in the past few years and never had any issues. They also work on high end wheels from cars on Lambos and Ferrari's, so I highly doubt they are using anything thats going to scratch the wheels. I know they never scratched any of my aftermarket wheels.
BeaverLiquor wrote: Unless things have changed, Simply Tire uses old machines and hand tools, which is more likely to scratch, plus look at some of the recent reviews.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3432 posts
3443 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
sickcars wrote: I have gone there a few times in the past few years and never had any issues. They also work on high end wheels from cars on Lambos and Ferrari's, so I highly doubt they are using anything thats going to scratch the wheels. I know they never scratched any of my aftermarket wheels.
Since the ownership changed a while back the reviews have gotten pretty brutal and I personally had a few bad customer service experiences, so I've stopped going there or recommending them.

I went to Burning Rubber Tire and with an appointment they were over an hour behind schedule. I was pretty annoyed and I don't think ill go back, but I had 0 issues with their work/prices.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
11910 posts
3569 upvotes
Ontario
I never went to Burning Rubber before but have talked to them over the phone once about getting a bunch of parts installed & they quoted me something stupid, basically some of the parts I wanted installed had to drop the subframe and for each part install they quoted me removing and installing the subframe which greatly increased the cost. Also had a friend go there to install a front lip & it took them something like 3-4 hours because they would continuously go work on other cars. If the appointment is for 11am then at 11am you should be working on my friends car, not working on other ppls car and going back and forth. I'll never go to Burning rubber seems very poorly managed.
Ecsta wrote: Since the ownership changed a while back the reviews have gotten pretty brutal and I personally had a few bad customer service experiences, so I've stopped going there or recommending them.

I went to Burning Rubber Tire and with an appointment they were over an hour behind schedule. I was pretty annoyed and I don't think ill go back, but I had 0 issues with their work/prices.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
29909 posts
10622 upvotes
sickcars wrote: I never went to Burning Rubber before but have talked to them over the phone once about getting a bunch of parts installed & they quoted me something stupid, basically some of the parts I wanted installed had to drop the subframe and for each part install they quoted me removing and installing the subframe which greatly increased the cost. Also had a friend go there to install a front lip & it took them something like 3-4 hours because they would continuously go work on other cars. If the appointment is for 11am then at 11am you should be working on my friends car, not working on other ppls car and going back and forth. I'll never go to Burning rubber seems very poorly managed.
Meh this is typical "speed shop" type stuff if you ask me. Places like this stay in business because far too many people mod their cars without actually having the skill, knowhow to do anything themselves or at least the patience and discipline to learn. These are like people that just want to "floor it" and "go faster"; just make asinine exhaust noise like idiots, "gotta be hella loud bro!"; or "get slammed" so they can put some lame kiddie sticker on their car about fat chicks and rubbing or have some hastags about "stance" on instagram or whatever the kids are using these days :rolleyes:

Because these ppl basically know nothing about cars they can/will easily spend like 3x the money they need to be spending on said "mod".

Now this is just my own personal take on it but if I had to pay some hack monkey "mechanic" to do stuff in order to modify my car, I'd get absolutely zero satisfaction out of having done so. I don't even understand the point TBH--I'd sooner leave the car bone stock than do that. That's just my $0.02 on that I'm sure other people have very different ideas, but I just don't get where the satisfaction is of doing whatever and having had someone else do it for you and had to pay them to do it.

Now granted there are some things that most regular people aren't going to be able to do like mount tyres or do alignments not really because they're hard to do, but because they require at a minimum a few thousand dollars of equipment to perform. I mean there are some ways of DIYing an alignment for cheap I guess but tyre mounting not so much unless you want to scratch things up and stuff. Fair enough, but this does not seem like the place I'd go to for those things anyway.

Anyway yeah not all, but a lot of these "speed shops" or "tuner establishments" are a lot of fluff, shitty service, snobbery (esp. if you go in there and you're not dropping at least $5k on something or buying some nonsense catch can for $400 that cost all of like $37.50), etc. You can tell what losers these guys are right on their main page--the main things to click on on their homepage are just how to "place your deposit" :facepalm: Are these guys joking?!? Like seriously? $200, $500, $1000, and $2000 buttons. What for? Who the heck knows but hey you're visiting their webpage so time to just leave random deposits for the privilege for some unknown future services I guess :lol: What about some prices of the parts of the brands they plaster all over the site, or the services they offer? Nahh bro, just leave a deposit 'cause cost better be no object if you shoppin' here! That $2000 is just a deposit fam, 'cause you best be spenin' many timez that, yo!

With that kind of pompous and arrogant display on their website, the only next step I'd be taking is to close the tab and hope to never hear of them again. I mean I don't mean to condemn the place without any personal experience but your own story is not surprising and it's right up the alley of other similar places I've been to--Total. Waste. Of time.

Sometimes I wonder how a lot of these places stay in business in this day and age you can buy parts online so easily, but then it goes back to the beginning of this post--the fact that put the parts in the hands of most people having these mods done and they would barely understand which way points upwards, so yeah.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
11910 posts
3569 upvotes
Ontario
I only contacted them was because a bunch of people recommended them but I quickly noticed a lot of these people must be getting ripped off lol. But yes it does depend on the mod ideally if you can do it yourself great & even maintenance, in this case I was doing, Lower Control arms, sway bars, deadset stiffening kit, & a few other things. Doing this in a driveway on jack stands forget it, it would take forever and I probably would not have all the tools. Also the other issue is I daily my car for work, I can't just park my car because I need a tool or something broke so for things I cannot do at home I dont have much choice.

As for the shop, I got a bad first impression from them when my friend went there & I got an even worse impression from them when I asked for a quote. I have no plans to ever go there when they treat customers like they did. I'll stick to my regular mechanic which is much better.
ES_Revenge wrote: Meh this is typical "speed shop" type stuff if you ask me. Places like this stay in business because far too many people mod their cars without actually having the skill, knowhow to do anything themselves or at least the patience and discipline to learn. These are like people that just want to "floor it" and "go faster"; just make asinine exhaust noise like idiots, "gotta be hella loud bro!"; or "get slammed" so they can put some lame kiddie sticker on their car about fat chicks and rubbing or have some hastags about "stance" on instagram or whatever the kids are using these days :rolleyes:

Because these ppl basically know nothing about cars they can/will easily spend like 3x the money they need to be spending on said "mod".

Now this is just my own personal take on it but if I had to pay some hack monkey "mechanic" to do stuff in order to modify my car, I'd get absolutely zero satisfaction out of having done so. I don't even understand the point TBH--I'd sooner leave the car bone stock than do that. That's just my $0.02 on that I'm sure other people have very different ideas, but I just don't get where the satisfaction is of doing whatever and having had someone else do it for you and had to pay them to do it.

Now granted there are some things that most regular people aren't going to be able to do like mount tyres or do alignments not really because they're hard to do, but because they require at a minimum a few thousand dollars of equipment to perform. I mean there are some ways of DIYing an alignment for cheap I guess but tyre mounting not so much unless you want to scratch things up and stuff. Fair enough, but this does not seem like the place I'd go to for those things anyway.

Anyway yeah not all, but a lot of these "speed shops" or "tuner establishments" are a lot of fluff, shitty service, snobbery (esp. if you go in there and you're not dropping at least $5k on something or buying some nonsense catch can for $400 that cost all of like $37.50), etc. You can tell what losers these guys are right on their main page--the main things to click on on their homepage are just how to "place your deposit" :facepalm: Are these guys joking?!? Like seriously? $200, $500, $1000, and $2000 buttons. What for? Who the heck knows but hey you're visiting their webpage so time to just leave random deposits for the privilege for some unknown future services I guess :lol: What about some prices of the parts of the brands they plaster all over the site, or the services they offer? Nahh bro, just leave a deposit 'cause cost better be no object if you shoppin' here! That $2000 is just a deposit fam, 'cause you best be spenin' many timez that, yo!

With that kind of pompous and arrogant display on their website, the only next step I'd be taking is to close the tab and hope to never hear of them again. I mean I don't mean to condemn the place without any personal experience but your own story is not surprising and it's right up the alley of other similar places I've been to--Total. Waste. Of time.

Sometimes I wonder how a lot of these places stay in business in this day and age you can buy parts online so easily, but then it goes back to the beginning of this post--the fact that put the parts in the hands of most people having these mods done and they would barely understand which way points upwards, so yeah.

Top