Wheels and Tires

Shop where wheels are less likely to get scuffed?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2020 7:20 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2014
307 posts
119 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Shop where wheels are less likely to get scuffed?

I’m in the market for a new set of winter tires. I’m looking for a shop in West GTA where I can buy them and have them installed where my nice alloy wheels are less likely to get scuffed. I heard some shops use some special equipment designed to minimize the chances of this from happening.
21 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13980 posts
8387 upvotes
Toronto
I had my new winter tires installed a few weeks ago at Active green and ross on Evans Ave. I was pretty impressed.

Just checked, it's software called autoserve. The tech will take photos of your rims and stuff before installation. It will point any imperfections in the rims. Cost was $182
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 4, 2006
737 posts
366 upvotes
Ottawa
Costco. Their techs are trained well, and they do tires ALL DAY LONG. I am a teacher, and can do my own tires in the shop on a new machine and balancer. For the last set of 20s I bought... I took them to Costco. Not a mark, balanced perfectly.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
13980 posts
8387 upvotes
Toronto
Here OP, took a screen shot of their software. I'm not advocating for it but just thought it was really cool. I've never had a dealership or other services like this. I'm going to be bringing my other rims and tires there too. FYI, I did not buy the tires from them, I got them from Canadian Tire on clearance hence the $182 install/balance ect.. fee.

canadian-tire-michelin-x-ice-xi3-winter-tires-2396621/

Capture.JPG
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1271 posts
582 upvotes
Ontario
Lots of shops have old equipment and techs that only know the basics on balancing. Shops don't like spending a ton of money on equipment that will do the job right but cost 5x more when they know the majority won't have an issue...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27606 posts
12668 upvotes
Toronto
I bought new OZ rims and tires from Braiden last year and not a scratch on all of them.

I cannot say the same for a few other shops, joy city and ceo tires in recent years.
Jul 13, 2008
19684 posts
4325 upvotes
GTA
booblehead wrote: I bought new OZ rims and tires from Braiden last year and not a scratch on all of them.

I cannot say the same for a few other shops, joy city and ceo tires in recent years.
Yeah, stay away from CEO Tires. I did a write up about my experience with them scratching up my wheels a few months ago: tire-buying-install-simply-vs-ceo-vs-ot ... #p32298164

I'll probably end up going to Braiden myself the next time I need a swap done.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27429 posts
7754 upvotes
Sanforized wrote: Yeah, stay away from CEO Tires. I did a write up about my experience with them scratching up my wheels a few months ago: tire-buying-install-simply-vs-ceo-vs-ot ... #p32298164
Yeah that sucks but them's the breaks when people have to touch your car (which is basically always when you want tyres removed/installed unfortunately). My anxietey goes through the roof when I have to get tyres, trust me.

The good news is, don't know if you've fixed those by now, but looks like those can all be fixed with wetsanding at worst.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10748 posts
2614 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Go to a dedicated tire shop that deals with nice expensive wheels they will have the proper equipment.

For example,

SimplyTire
Tires23

I have been to both & never had any issues with them as they work on cars with expensive wheels.
Jedi14 wrote: I’m in the market for a new set of winter tires. I’m looking for a shop in West GTA where I can buy them and have them installed where my nice alloy wheels are less likely to get scuffed. I heard some shops use some special equipment designed to minimize the chances of this from happening.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18323 posts
2181 upvotes
Woodbridge
I've seen what happened, the shop blamed the Powdered Coating peeling. This is why I only deal with tires23.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5450 posts
3025 upvotes
Toronto
sickcars wrote: Go to a dedicated tire shop that deals with nice expensive wheels they will have the proper equipment.

For example,

SimplyTire
Tires23

I have been to both & never had any issues with them as they work on cars with expensive wheels.
Unless things have changed, Simply Tire uses old machines and hand tools, which is more likely to scratch, plus look at some of the recent reviews.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10748 posts
2614 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I have gone there a few times in the past few years and never had any issues. They also work on high end wheels from cars on Lambos and Ferrari's, so I highly doubt they are using anything thats going to scratch the wheels. I know they never scratched any of my aftermarket wheels.
BeaverLiquor wrote: Unless things have changed, Simply Tire uses old machines and hand tools, which is more likely to scratch, plus look at some of the recent reviews.
0_o
<_<
>_>