Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17494 posts
1009 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON

Shopify PERMANENTLY moves to WFH (work from home) model

Following in the footsteps of Facebook, Twitter (so far), another one is Shopify.
If the entire tech industry moves to WFH en masse, there will definitely be ripple effects, but that's beyond the scope of this thread.

Also FYI, Shopify is Canada's most valuable company by market cap.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/s ... -1.5578614
71 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1997 posts
699 upvotes
Toronto
I heard about this but I'm confused as to why there needed to be an article about this.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1138 posts
441 upvotes
DT Calgary
ds2chan wrote: I heard about this but I'm confused as to why there needed to be an article about this.
LOL. OP is bored.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1997 posts
699 upvotes
Toronto
FreshCo wrote: LOL. OP is bored.
lol.. No no.. not a thread. An article from CBC and Bloomberg. Would this affect the general public or the tech sector somehow?

[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17494 posts
1009 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
ds2chan wrote: Would this affect the general public or the tech sector somehow?
well yes, like I said, a large chunk of the high-tech industry will move in this direction, which will have dramatic ripple effects in many other ways.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1997 posts
699 upvotes
Toronto
konfusion666 wrote: well yes, like I said, a large chunk of the high-tech industry will move in this direction, which will have dramatic ripple effects in many other ways.
Sorry, I meant why did anybody even need to write this article in the first place? Without the article, would the general public or tech sector be affected in some way? Since somebody felt that the article should be published then maybe it's only because somebody thought that this was interesting only?

I don't think the tech industry would rush to keep everybody working from home. It's easier to collaborate in the office. For the near future I think most would work from home just because of the pandemic. But once everybody feels safe we'll all slowly trickle back into the office.

Dec 11, 2013
360 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
I don't see it lasting long term once real-estate comes down after this mess. Productivity is going down and to be honest, meetings are a mess.
Jun 27, 2006
803 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
It's interesting. The companies will save a lot on real estate costs but impacts the culture of the company. But if it means no more pot lucks, I am ok with that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5108 posts
977 upvotes
Toronto
Like I've pointed out before, the more that companies move towards WFH, the more they will realize they can just outsource those positions to cheaper countries. Particularly as the quality of internet in developing countries increases, along with english fluency. This may be temporary good news for those looking to avoid long commutes, but in the long term its likely very bad news.
Sep 7, 2009
618 posts
246 upvotes
gei wrote: Like I've pointed out before, the more that companies move towards WFH, the more they will realize they can just outsource those positions to cheaper countries. Particularly as the quality of internet in developing countries increases, along with english fluency. This may be temporary good news for those looking to avoid long commutes, but in the long term its likely very bad news.
Just give me my Freedom dividend and I’m gucci.
Jan 12, 2011
195 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
gei wrote: Like I've pointed out before, the more that companies move towards WFH, the more they will realize they can just outsource those positions to cheaper countries. Particularly as the quality of internet in developing countries increases, along with english fluency. This may be temporary good news for those looking to avoid long commutes, but in the long term its likely very bad news.
Have you tried working with a team in another office? What about when they are other side of the world? You need those personal relationships in order to get people to work together. The reason why wfh is working so well right now is because people already built those relationships in the office. That won't be the case if everyone was hired remote and nobody knows each other.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5108 posts
977 upvotes
Toronto
cnfjti3 wrote: Have you tried working with a team in another office? What about when they are other side of the world? You need those personal relationships in order to get people to work together. The reason why wfh is working so well right now is because people already built those relationships in the office. That won't be the case if everyone was hired remote and nobody knows each other.
And that also won't be the case if no one goes in to an office any more. Relationships will fall apart and as more staff are hired and let go (and move on to other companies), those relationships will become moot.

Yes I have tried working with teams in other offices. The issue is never that they are in a different country, it's simply that they are remote. That was the biggest negative factor. It doesn't really matter if they are in another office in Halifax or another office in Bangalore.

It doesn't matter how well employees get along with each other - what matters to a company is the bottom line. If they can save money by hiring abroad and still maintain productivity then I assure you they will.
Jan 12, 2011
195 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
gei wrote: It doesn't matter how well employees get along with each other - what matters to a company is the bottom line. If they can save money by hiring abroad and still maintain productivity then I assure you they will.
If productivity is maintained then yes they will. Lots of companies have already been offshoring for the past two decades for jobs that are simple to offshore.

The problem in the technology sector that's been preventing mass offshoring is that the sector is driven by innovation. Innovation isn't driven by a bunch of people remotely working with others they barely know. Innovation has been driven mostly in technology hubs where there is a high concentration of people building their ideas together.

You won't try to build a startup with someone on the other side of the world. You would with friends. Apply that on a much bigger scale and that will shed some light on why there still such a high demand for people in tech in north america instead of in eastern europe or asia.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
42361 posts
5788 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
maple1 wrote: It's interesting. The companies will save a lot on real estate costs but impacts the culture of the company. But if it means no more pot lucks, I am ok with that.
Oh you're probably the guy that just brings in a costco rotiserie chicken and call it a day.
Then theres bag of chips + 2 litre pop guy.
And 5 ladies who bring in some super crappy cake that taste like nothing but icing sugar.
There will be one ethnic food thats way too spicy and all the white peeps be like 'aw daymn thats spicy'
'spicy? that is only half the spice i usually use!'

just kidding... always a hidden foodies who does something nice and it makes up for everyone else. With a few decent salads, pasta, rice dishes... it works out in the end.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
13264 posts
6262 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
It's not even outsourcing to cheaper countries... try outsourcing to cheaper cities! In the US, pay in a region for in demand jobs is often dictated by salary surveys across various geographical areas and the groupped together into 19 different salary zones so the same job can be at vastly different salary scales depending on where you live - ie a programmer with a particular skill set in SFO might get $150,000 per year while that same programmer in Boise, ID, might get $110,000 or less.

FB's Zuck basically said as much when he stated that if any one who is working from home moves out of the region that they were working at the office in may get their wages CUT due to the differences in wages of the region. I suspect this has less to do with offices but more to do with trying to cut the salary expenses.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)