• Jul 22nd, 2019 10:33 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 19, 2019
4 posts
1 upvote

Shoplifted. Guilty. Need help.

Hi All,

I was in Sephora (Canada) the other day and don’t know what went into my mind but I picked up a perfume around $100 and left. No one caught me or stopped me.

Now I am guilty why I did it as I don’t even need it. What should I do now. I am probably on the security cameras. Can the police approach me now. What is the their procedure. My guilt is killing me.
Share:
34 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15079 posts
16027 upvotes
Oakville
Hubabc1 wrote: Hi All,

I was in Sephora (Canada) the other day and don’t know what went into my mind but I picked up a perfume around $100 and left. No one caught me or stopped me.

Now I am guilty why I did it as I don’t even need it. What should I do now. I am probably on the security cameras. Can the police approach me now. What is the their procedure. My guilt is killing me.
Mail it back with a note apologizing and take a photo of it as proof.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2744 posts
1943 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Hubabc1 wrote: Hi All,

You can take the cowards' route and mail it in with a letter. Assuming that you've been caught on video and police are trying to identify you, this will do NOTHING to help you avoid getting charged.

If you're truly feeling sorry for your crime, you should suck it up and face whatever consequences there may be. Go to the store, speak to the manager (not a supervisor, but THE manager) and tell them that you took this item but are returning it because you did a bad thing and apologise, then leave the store. Do NOT say what day/time you took the item. DO NOT answer any other questions. Now, the chances of them detaining you are IMO close to zero because you have not been 'caught' taking anything from the store. Indeed, you have nothing in your possession, and even if they did detain you and call the police, all you have to do is not say anything. Don't make a statement to the police. Don't make further statements to the store. No video evidence from that day would show you stealing an item, and they're certainly not going to go over days of tape to try and find you stealing the first time. IMO the most they can do is tell you you're banned from the store.

Now...of course, you could always do the reverse theft thing. :D Go into the store, do some browsing, take the item out of your pocket, and put it back on the shelf...do some more browsing if you'd like and then leave.

Lastly, you could walk into the store, do a lap around the store and maybe even do some browsing, then walk up to the checkouts to pay for the item. Cashiers aren't gonna know anything because they're only focused on their job. Then you pay for the item that you stole, and it's all good. Sure...doesn't undo the fact that you stole the item, but it's better than keeping stolen merchandise, right?

So...if you're truly regretful, the only way out is to do what I said. There may be some consequences if you go with the first option, but that's the way it is. To do anything else - keeping the item, 'donating' it, throwing it away, whatever - does NOT remedy or reverse the situation that you are a thief.

Oh...and don't do it again. :)
Last edited by ALLCAPS on Jul 22nd, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Penalty Box
Jul 14, 2014
1365 posts
347 upvotes
You got away with it. Enjoy.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13538 posts
8498 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
kalani13291 wrote: You got away with it. Enjoy.
Great advice! Do you tell that to your kids too?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5114 posts
493 upvotes
Do nothing. Take it as a lesson. The guilt is your lesson. If you mail it back or return it you chance getting in trouble. It's possible nobody has even noticed. Just don't go back to the store ever
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1364 upvotes
Stores do not shelf back items that are returned (lawfully), unless they are not opened. I doubt they will accept merchandise that was unlawfully taken from their premises and put it back on the shelf. Going in and telling them "you stole, but here's your stuff back", is sufficient for their security (if present) to make a citizen's arrest.

I think the best solution is to surreptitiously go back to the store with the stolen item, and pay for it.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Feb 23, 2017
12 posts
4 upvotes
I know a guy who can get you some fake papers and sneak you across the border. PM me for details.
Banned
Nov 21, 2009
2465 posts
1041 upvotes
RedFlagTay wrote: I know a guy who can get you some fake papers and sneak you across the border. PM me for details.
Can i PM?
Nov 25, 2014
369 posts
381 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ALLCAPS wrote: You can take the cowards' route and mail it in with a letter. Assuming that you've been caught on video and police are trying to identify you, this will do NOTHING to help you avoid getting charged.

If you're truly feeling sorry for your crime, you should suck it up and face whatever consequences there may be. Go to the store, speak to the manager (not a supervisor, but THE manager) and tell them that you took this item but are returning it because you did a bad thing and apologise, then leave the store. Do NOT say what day/time you took the item. DO NOT answer any other questions. Now, the chances of them detaining you are IMO close to zero because you have not been 'caught' taking anything from the store. Indeed, you have nothing in your possession, and even if they did detain you and call the police, all you have to do is not say anything. Don't make a statement to the police. Don't make further statements to the store. No video evidence from that day would show you stealing an item, and they're certainly not going to go over days of tape to try and find you stealing the first time. IMO the most they can do is tell you you're banned from the store.

Now...of course, you could always do the reverse theft thing. :D Go into the store, do some browsing, take the item out of your pocket, and put it back on the shelf...do some more browsing if you'd like and then leave.

Lastly, you could walk into the store, do a lap around the store and maybe even do some browsing, then walk up to the checkouts to pay for the item. Cashiers aren't gonna know anything because they're only focused on their job. Then you pay for the item that you stole, and it's all good. Sure...doesn't undo the fact that you stole the item, but it's better than keeping stolen merchandise, right?

So...if you're truly regretful, the only way out is to do what I said. There may be some consequences if you go with the first option, but that's the way it is. To do anything else - keeping the item, 'donating' it, throwing it away, whatever - does NOT remedy or reverse the situation that you are a thief.

Oh...and don't do it again. :)
The Best advice given here. I am sure OP would have followed one of your suggested approaches. Waiting for the next part of the incident and see what OP did.
[OP]
Jul 19, 2019
4 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the advice. I might probably go back. Still thinking though.
Have you heard of any cases that were charged with shoplifting after the fact ?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13171 posts
2211 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Sephora is owned by luxury conglomerate LVMH.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5180 posts
1960 upvotes
Toronto
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: I think the best solution is to surreptitiously go back to the store with the stolen item, and pay for it.
I agree. And if you're honestly concerned that they're watching for you, you could get someone to trust to do it for you.

It really depends on you, though, and how you feel. Speaking entirely honestly, I personally wouldn't go in and confess, but maybe you need to do that based on how you feel.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8577 posts
1517 upvotes
Hubabc1 wrote: Thanks for the advice. I might probably go back. Still thinking though.
Have you heard of any cases that were charged with shoplifting after the fact ?
If you're more concerned about what will happen after the fact, do nothing. Chances are they'll only be on the lookout should you ever comeback. I'm sure people steal from that store everyday and that you were not the only one making a bad decision that day.

With this being said, a loss prevention guy that I hang around with used to tell us that if you steal from his store, you have to be lucky 100% of the time. For him, he only needs to be lucky once. So think about this the next time you get the urge. Don't put yourself through all this grief.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!