Expired Hot Deals

Shoppers Drug Mart

1.54 L Tropicana Orange Juice for $0.99 (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2021 10:48 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1187 posts
310 upvotes
henrik112 wrote: The Walmart near me is terrible with taking expired items (dairy items included) off the shelf. I’ve had to point it out to their staff so many times but it seems they just don’t care 🤷‍♂️
When you come to know that Costco pay their staff nearly 80% more of what Walmart pay their staff after 10 years of work. I since then realize and come to not expect much from Walmart employees lol.

In terms of the deal, I usually go on Saturday and Sunday when there's 20x the points, and I would add certain grocery items like this to get further discount to make it even more worthwhile. Just this past Sunday, we got a bag of 4L milk expiring in 6 days for $2 + 20x the points. We drink a lot milk so it worked out for us.
Apr 7, 2011
872 posts
409 upvotes
Toronto
Paigne wrote: Those stickers generally means its about to expire (or even expired in some cases).
From experience, Orange juice can last at least two months after their best before date with no change in taste. (Assuming it is unopened and it is stored in the fridge) Orange juice is too acidic for most bacterial to grow in, so you're safe. Plus during processing they kill a lot of the bacteria in the juice.
I'm sure it can last a few months but the longest was 2 months for me when I bought a whole bunch of 2L for $0.50 on clearance. Face With Tears Of Joy

scholar80 wrote: "After this date, not the best, but still pretty good." -- Mr Kim Face With Tears Of Joy
Pretty much. Face With Tears Of Joy
Aug 17, 2021
19 posts
17 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Juice, like many other products, don't "expire". It's a best before date. The taste will be at its best the longer you are before that date but the product will be consumable for still many months if unopened.
yes. I know what you mean. I live in Calgary. Some groceries near my home will have such discount when products have close best-before date. For example, if the milk have 4 days to best before day, there will be a 50% off or 2-dollar off sticker on it. I often go to hunt these discount milk since 4 days are actually enough for my family to finish it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6662 posts
2795 upvotes
Canada
Andrew4Life wrote: From experience, Orange juice can last at least two months after their best before date with no change in taste. (Assuming it is unopened and it is stored in the fridge) Orange juice is too acidic for most bacterial to grow in, so you're safe. Plus during processing they kill a lot of the bacteria in the juice.
I'm sure it can last a few months but the longest was 2 months for me when I bought a whole bunch of 2L for $0.50 on clearance. Face With Tears Of Joy

Pretty much. Face With Tears Of Joy
You live dangerously. :)

I could see that with tetra-pack ones, but plastic bottle ones? I'm surprised, but interesting to know.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
4372 posts
2916 upvotes
Vancouver
muffin4life wrote: Go to T&T. You'll shake your head.
I assume you are thinking old T&T. T&T started a program to get customers to find expired products. Find one expired in their store and they will give you a non-expired of the same product for free. Since then, i havent noticed anything expired in their store (tho i rarely buy anything with an expiry date there in the first place).
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
2575 posts
3606 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote: Ugh.. 1.54L . Used to be 1.89L when did they reduce the size that much? I've not bought OJ in many many years.
Dont forget 2L and 1.75L.
Its gotten to the point Orange juice costs more than gaz.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7718 posts
12981 upvotes
Montreal
wuke340 wrote: yes. I know what you mean. I live in Calgary. Some groceries near my home will have such discount when products have close best-before date. For example, if the milk have 4 days to best before day, there will be a 50% off or 2-dollar off sticker on it. I often go to hunt these discount milk since 4 days are actually enough for my family to finish it.
We agree but milk is one thing I look for the furthest Best before date I can find because (contrary to many products) milk close to (or past) its Best before date by even a few days can be sooooo God awful! One month past for yogurt is nothing but milk...

As an experiment, I keep a pack of unopened sliced ham in the fridge that is over 7 years old (you read that right) to see how long it will go before changing color or bloating. Believe it or not, It still looks normal! I won't taste it but it shows that Best before dates are relative.
Dec 2, 2020
181 posts
270 upvotes
YMMV and near expired -- next up in hot deals, picking garbage
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14439 posts
5040 upvotes
RFD
muffin4life wrote: Go to T&T. You'll shake your head.
T&T used to do this pre Loblaws now it doesn't happen as often.

You'll have to go to any other smaller Asian grocery stores and may find expired items still on the shelves, depends on management.

Make it a habit to check the expiry anywhere because it also happens in non Asian grocery stores like Sobeys and Metro (my first hand experience). So it could happen anywhere but I do find Asian stores are worse offenders.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14439 posts
5040 upvotes
RFD
wuke340 wrote: yes. I know what you mean. I live in Calgary. Some groceries near my home will have such discount when products have close best-before date. For example, if the milk have 4 days to best before day, there will be a 50% off or 2-dollar off sticker on it. I often go to hunt these discount milk since 4 days are actually enough for my family to finish it.
Some Giant Tiger does this markdown discount even to the day of expiry/best before. They usually start at least two days before said date and then on the day of expiry/best before. Sometimes 4L milk is priced down as low as $1 I've seen, other items as low as 50 cents.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
10211 posts
7170 upvotes
Toronto
The stickers mean it's very close to expiry, no deal here.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
2575 posts
3606 upvotes
WeimarRepublic wrote: YMMV and near expired -- next up in hot deals, picking garbage
What expired...the deal or the orange juice? Face With Tears Of Joy
Nov 26, 2015
404 posts
747 upvotes
Winnipeg
If your that worried about it Just peel the sticker off and give it your kid or something