• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2019 5:33 pm
[OP]
Dec 29, 2014
195 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Shoppers Drug Mart 20x Points

SDM's flyer states that if you spend $75 on most items in their store tomorrow (Dec 2) you'll get 20x points. Does this include SDM gift cards?
15 replies
[OP]
Dec 29, 2014
195 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I think I found the answer.

https://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/opt ... vent-nov30

*Points are issued according to the net pre-tax purchase total of eligible products after redemptions and discounts and before taxes using a valid Shoppers Optimum Card®. Excludes prescription purchases, Shoppers Optimum Bonus Points®, products that contain codeine, non-pointable items, tobacco products (where applicable), lottery tickets, passport photos, stamps, transit tickets and passes, event tickets, gift cards, prepaid phone cards, prepaid card products and Shoppers Home Health Care® locations. Offer applies to photofinishing services that are picked up and paid for on the day of the offer only. Not to be used in conjunction with any other Shoppers Optimum Points® promotions or offers. See cashier for details. ® 911979 Alberta Ltd.

I had thought that the 20x points applied to SDM gift cards but I guess I'm wrong.
Nov 12, 2018
9 posts
4 upvotes
Striker60 wrote: I think I found the answer.

https://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/opt ... vent-nov30

*Points are issued according to the net pre-tax purchase total of eligible products after redemptions and discounts and before taxes using a valid Shoppers Optimum Card®. Excludes prescription purchases, Shoppers Optimum Bonus Points®, products that contain codeine, non-pointable items, tobacco products (where applicable), lottery tickets, passport photos, stamps, transit tickets and passes, event tickets, gift cards, prepaid phone cards, prepaid card products and Shoppers Home Health Care® locations. Offer applies to photofinishing services that are picked up and paid for on the day of the offer only. Not to be used in conjunction with any other Shoppers Optimum Points® promotions or offers. See cashier for details. ® 911979 Alberta Ltd.

I had thought that the 20x points applied to SDM gift cards but I guess I'm wrong.
Did you confirm whether it actually applies to SDM gift cards?
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11733 posts
8982 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
@Striker60 & @acegreen
FYI ...

NO POINTS ARE ISSUED ON GCs Under the PCO Program

UNLESS there is a promo in the flyer for that store chain

BTW ... Info is beginning to surface about SDMs Black Friday Week Specials
There will be some GCs that will be giving out BONUS POINTS with purchase

See the RFD BLACK FRIDAY & CYBER MONDAY FORUM
For those related SDM Threads

black-friday-cyber-monday-deals-2017-f149/

As well... remember there is the ongoing RFD Gift Card Promos / Sales & Bonuses Thread that is constantly being updated over in the RFD HOT DEALS FORUM

various-retailers-gift-card-deals-disco ... 8-2161518/

Best resource on RFD for everything GC

PS... for future reference... check out / post in the Official RFD PCO Optimum Thread
And it too is searchable
pc-optimum-discussion-thread-formerly-pc-plus-2040084/
(Probably where the mods are going to move your post to anyhow)
Nov 12, 2018
9 posts
4 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: @Striker60 & @acegreen
FYI ...

NO POINTS ARE ISSUED ON GCs Under the PCO Program

UNLESS there is a promo in the flyer for that store chain

BTW ... Info is beginning to surface about SDMs Black Friday Week Specials
There will be some GCs that will be giving out BONUS POINTS with purchase

See the RFD BLACK FRIDAY & CYBER MONDAY FORUM
For those related SDM Threads

black-friday-cyber-monday-deals-2017-f149/

As well... remember there is the ongoing RFD Gift Card Promos / Sales & Bonuses Thread that is constantly being updated over in the RFD HOT DEALS FORUM

various-retailers-gift-card-deals-disco ... 8-2161518/

Best resource on RFD for everything GC

PS... for future reference... check out / post in the Official RFD PCO Optimum Thread
And it too is searchable
pc-optimum-discussion-thread-formerly-pc-plus-2040084/
(Probably where the mods are going to move your post to anyhow)
I was hoping to do the following: Buy $550 worth of SDM GC on the 20X days, use the card when black Friday deal comes to buy an Xbox One X. That way I get both the deal offer and 20X points.

Also apparently you can't even buy SDM GCs with points.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11733 posts
8982 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
acegreen wrote: I was hoping to do the following: Buy $550 worth of SDM GC on the 20X days, use the card when black Friday deal comes to buy an Xbox One X. That way I get both the deal offer and 20X points.

Also apparently you can't even buy SDM GCs with points.
That is also correct

All came about cause of the giant GC / Stolen Points Scam that happened to both PC+ Program in 2016, and then again to PCO Program in 2018
Nov 12, 2018
9 posts
4 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: That is also correct

All came about cause of the giant GC / Stolen Points Scam that happened to both PC+ Program in 2016, and then again to PCO Program in 2018
So the idea of using 20x combined with black friday holiday / seniors discount / bonus redemption days, is not possible right?
Last edited by acegreen on Nov 15th, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4743 posts
1564 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: That is also correct

There used to be a workaround talked about here (long before PCO) where if you purchased an item using points (including on bonus redemption days) and then returned it, they would give you a SDM gift card for the full value of the item, rather than returning your points to you, which people used to "cash out" their points into SDM gift cards. Of course that was on a totally different system and is probably not how the PCO program has been set up.
Oct 4, 2016
186 posts
156 upvotes
Can I use a shoppers gift card for purchase and still get 20x the points back on a 20x day
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11733 posts
8982 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
NeverMSRP01 wrote: Can I use a shoppers gift card for purchase and still get 20x the points back on a 20x day
YES... Shoppers Gift Cards are treated as Legal Tender, same as CA$H when they are redeemed
Jan 15, 2017
25 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote: YES... Shoppers Gift Cards are treated as Legal Tender, same as CA$H when they are redeemed
Just had personal offer 20x if spend $75 and more purchased $150 SDM gift card but didn't get 20x points.
contacted to customer care for missing points , they said no points for GC also SDM GCAngry Face
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11733 posts
8982 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
phil1505 wrote: Just had personal offer 20x if spend $75 and more purchased $150 SDM gift card but didn't get 20x points.
contacted to customer care for missing points , they said no points for GC also SDM GCAngry Face
Two different things ...

You are talking about EARNING PCO POINTS on the purchase of a SDM Gift Card
That RARELY HAPPENS... only when SDM has a Promotion on specific to that
(Advertised in their Flyers ... most famous one being around Black Friday)
Otherwise PCO Points ARE NOT EARNED on the purchase of GCs
It’s in the T&Cs, Section 7 = Earning & Redeeming Exclusions
https://www.pcoptimum.ca/company-policy ... conditions

In this case you bought a SDM Card for $ 150
Let’s say that’s all you bought
SUB TOTAL = $ 150
PCO Points Earned = Base = 0
20x Bonus = 0

The post I was replying to (you quoted)
Was for someone REDEEMING / CASHING IN a SDM Gift Card (using it as a payment method)
In that instance, a GC is treated the same as Cash or any other form of payment
So yes, then one is able to EARN PCO POINTS on the entire purchase

So Customer Y bought $ 200 worth of goods
SUB TOTAL = $ 200
Paid with $ 150 GC + $ 50 Cash (or Debit, or CC)
PCO Points Earned = Base + Bonus = $ 200 x 15 x 20 = 60,000

Likewise, when you REDEEM / CASH IN your $ 150 SDM Card
You will earn PCO Points too
Jan 15, 2017
25 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote: Two different things ...

You are talking about EARNING PCO POINTS on the purchase of a SDM Gift Card
That RARELY HAPPENS... only when SDM has a Promotion on specific to that
(Advertised in their Flyers ... most famous one being around Black Friday)
Otherwise PCO Points ARE NOT EARNED on the purchase of GCs
It’s in the T&Cs, Section 7 = Earning & Redeeming Exclusions
https://www.pcoptimum.ca/company-policy ... conditions

In this case you bought a SDM Card for $ 150
Let’s say that’s all you bought
SUB TOTAL = $ 150
PCO Points Earned = Base = 0
20x Bonus = 0

The post I was replying to (you quoted)
Was for someone REDEEMING / CASHING IN a SDM Gift Card (using it as a payment method)
In that instance, a GC is treated the same as Cash or any other form of payment
So yes, then one is able to EARN PCO POINTS on the entire purchase

So Customer Y bought $ 200 worth of goods
SUB TOTAL = $ 200
Paid with $ 150 GC + $ 50 Cash (or Debit, or CC)
PCO Points Earned = Base + Bonus = $ 200 x 15 x 20 = 60,000

Likewise, when you REDEEM / CASH IN your $ 150 SDM Card
You will earn PCO Points too
thanks for reply , if I will use this GC in pharmacy at the 20x day . , will I get 20x points ?
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11733 posts
8982 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
phil1505 wrote: thanks for reply , if I will use this GC in pharmacy at the 20x day . , will I get 20x points ?
Generally... NO to PCO Points given on prescriptions
But YES to most other things including OTC (over the counter) meds

Again, you should read Section 7, of the PCO Program T&Cs (link in my last post) to understand Exclusions

Here’s the bit on Prescriptions
The laws applicable to the earning and redeeming of PC Optimum points on prescription, medication and other pharmacy or health care-related products and services vary in each province. Other limitations may be imposed by prescription plans. Please see your pharmacy at a Participating Store to learn whether PC Optimum points can be earned or redeemed on these types of products and services and whether any limitations or restrictions apply.
Jan 15, 2017
25 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote: Generally... NO to PCO Points given on prescriptions
But YES to most other things including OTC (over the counter) meds

Again, you should read Section 7, of the PCO Program T&Cs (link in my last post) to understand Exclusions

Here’s the bit on Prescriptions
got it , thx ,
so the is no benefit to buy GC at 20x days , as then I'll use them after anyway need to buy on required amount (ex.$50 or $75) to get 20x .
I'm correct ?