Expired Hot Deals

Shoppers Drug Mart

Apple TV 4K 32GB (2nd Generation) ($161 After Points Earned) (Plus 5K Extra Points w/ PC Financial)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2022 12:10 am
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 29, 2017
883 posts
905 upvotes
Ontario
S0lidus wrote:
There’s a points event coming up on the 27th. That might help?
That event is also for earning more points on your purchase, I need the bonus redemption event to come back :)
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
10927 posts
8164 upvotes
Toronto
YasirAli wrote: If you pay through points, will you still get 20x?
Only on the portion you pay after points, not including tax. Better to wait for bonus redemption days.
Newbie
Feb 13, 2013
72 posts
64 upvotes
Can someone explain the math on this one? $230 x 10/$ pts on MC = 2300. 2300x20x=46000. Even adding the bonus 5000 pts how does it come to 63 000 optimum pts? I rounded up some numbers but I don't see where that extra 12000 or so pts comes from.

Also a refurbished one, same warranty is available on the apple store for $213 tax in.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2018
1180 posts
774 upvotes
Nocontact2 wrote: Can someone explain the math on this one? $230 x 10/$ pts on MC = 2300. 2300x20x=46000. Even adding the bonus 5000 pts how does it come to 63 000 optimum pts? I rounded up some numbers but I don't see where that extra 12000 or so pts comes from.

Also a refurbished one, same warranty is available on the apple store for $213 tax in.
Because it’s 15 points per dollar regularly not 10.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2018
1180 posts
774 upvotes
Nocontact2 wrote: On a regular PC mastercard it's 15pts/$?
Doesn’t matter which credit card you pay with. PCO members earn 15 points per dollar regularly at Shoppers Drug Mart on eligible purchases.
Newbie
Feb 13, 2013
72 posts
64 upvotes
zylonite wrote: We are now adding potential Points Earned deducted from the final price? You are still paying $230 for the item so I am missing the point how this is a deal?
$260 after tax in ontario no less.
Newbie
Feb 13, 2013
72 posts
64 upvotes
phoenix_bladen wrote: I definitely would have jumped on this offer had I not already have the 64 GB version…….wow
Apple sells a refurbished one for $213 after tax. Is this really a wow for $20 less?
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2015
1727 posts
1248 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
YasirAli wrote: If you pay through points, will you still get 20x?
You don’t get points from redemption
And if you want to use your points, it’s better to wait till the bonus redemption comes back, which will give you 1.5X of the base value of your points
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2015
1727 posts
1248 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
This deal is actually quite the same as the deal from Apple earlier, but you get $70 Apple gift card instead
However, just be aware of these deals that you have to pay taxes on the full price, and you only get back pts/gc on the net spent
With SDM, maybe it’s better to get it through bonus redemption if you have enough points
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2002
1479 posts
847 upvotes
earthpetal wrote: This deal is actually quite the same as the deal from Apple earlier, but you get $70 Apple gift card instead
However, just be aware of these deals that you have to pay taxes on the full price, and you only get back pts/gc on the net spent
With SDM, maybe it’s better to get it through bonus redemption if you have enough points
Actually for the Apple BF sale, the way Apple did the transaction was to subtract the value of the $70 GC from the pre-tax amount and you only ended up paying tax on the discounted price. Then they added the price of the GC (not taxed). For example, in Toronto, it was $229 - 70 = $159 + 13% = $179.67. Then add the $70 GC for grand total of $249.67.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3722 posts
1228 upvotes
Belle River
blyndfyre wrote: I choose it because of its higher quality video output to my TV when compared to Chromecast. It’s also a seamless experience with the rest of my Apple products.

Not even fair to compare this against the Chromecast. A better comparison would be the Nvidia Shield TV Pro.
Do you mean the menus are higher quality?

I figured Firestick 4K, the latest Chromecast, Shield, or Apple TV would all be pretty much the same quality when videos of the same formats/resolutions/sources are playing. I do realize that some can handle stuff others cannot, such as Dolby Vision from a certain service etc., but if we put that aside is there actually a difference in video quality?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1665 posts
5529 upvotes
Calgary, AB
hystavito wrote: Do you mean the menus are higher quality?

I figured Firestick 4K, the latest Chromecast, Shield, or Apple TV would all be pretty much the same quality when videos of the same formats/resolutions/sources are playing. I do realize that some can handle stuff others cannot, such as Dolby Vision from a certain service etc., but if we put that aside is there actually a difference in video quality?
ArchZeratul wrote: ChromeCast with Google TV has Dolby Vision though?
They all require processing of the compressed stream. I’m far from an expert but I assume it depends on the hardware and algorithms used. From my research Apple TV 4K comes ahead in picture quality. Nvidia Shield Pro destroys the competition in upscaling lower resolution content and handling of audio codecs.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 9, 2003
17816 posts
831 upvotes
Why not just get a refurb from apple for 180? Isn’t that easier?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1665 posts
5529 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Super strokey wrote: Why not just get a refurb from apple for 180? Isn’t that easier?
We’ll refurbished is $189 so it’s not brand new. Yes Apple refurbished store is great, but it’s still used vs new.

Not sure what you mean by easier, they are both a few clicks to purchase online and have shipped to your door.
Sr. Member
Dec 24, 2012
762 posts
1109 upvotes
Terrebonne
chongsen wrote: I thought people invest Nvidia Shield for nostalgia emulation games.

Could one run emulation on Apple TV ? Is it worth in a non-apple environment ?
That's one reason. You can also buy it for GeForce Now. For Dolby Vision. For the wide codec support for apps like Plex. For DTS-HD/ATMOS passthrough. For the great remote. For it's UI speed. For supporting Kodi out of the box. For Chromecasting. For Google Assistant.

And the AI upscaler is awesome on lower quality stuff if you watch downloaded media/streams.

For me (a non apple user except ipads) a shield is a MUCH MUCH better buy than the AppleTV.

And FYI the AppleTV app is now supported on the Shield and most other streaming boxes and SmartTVs...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1665 posts
5529 upvotes
Calgary, AB
KarlDag wrote: For me (a non apple user except ipads) a shield is a MUCH MUCH better buy than the AppleTV.
All depends on what you need. I’m a fan of the Shield but the seamless experience with the Apple TV suits my family members much better as they aren’t tech savvy. Little things like access to your keychain stored passwords and being able to type with your phone instead of using the remote for text fields. Also, using my AirPods or beats with the Apple TV when the kids are sleeping but I want to watch a loud movie. The Apple TV also serves as my Home Hub.

Do I miss not having the best upscaled media, or DTS decoding and TrueHD pass through on the Plex App? I sure do. You can’t have it all in one box, not today at least.
Newbie
Feb 13, 2013
72 posts
64 upvotes
blyndfyre wrote: We’ll refurbished is $189 so it’s not brand new. Yes Apple refurbished store is great, but it’s still used vs new.

Not sure what you mean by easier, they are both a few clicks to purchase online and have shipped to your door.
It still holds the same one year warranty from apple and lots of their 'refurbished' products are unopened returns.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)