Expired Hot Deals

Shoppers Drug Mart

Apple TV 4K 32GB (2nd Generation) ($161 After Points Earned) (Plus 5K Extra Points w/ PC Financial)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2022 12:10 am
Mar 23, 2017
549 posts
485 upvotes
Canada
Nocontact2 wrote: It still holds the same one year warranty from apple and lots of their 'refurbished' products are unopened returns.
Then buy refurbished one. Who is stopping you? Don’t post same thing again and again
Mar 23, 2017
549 posts
485 upvotes
Canada
KarlDag wrote: That's one reason. You can also buy it for GeForce Now. For Dolby Vision. For the wide codec support for apps like Plex. For DTS-HD/ATMOS passthrough. For the great remote. For it's UI speed. For supporting Kodi out of the box. For Chromecasting. For Google Assistant.

And the AI upscaler is awesome on lower quality stuff if you watch downloaded media/streams.

For me (a non apple user except ipads) a shield is a MUCH MUCH better buy than the AppleTV.

And FYI the AppleTV app is now supported on the Shield and most other streaming boxes and SmartTVs...
Well most of the ppl like me just stream Netflix, Amazon prime etc. plus I am heavily invested in Apple ecosystem. I am currently using shield 2017 and Gonna upgrade to Apple TV 4k. Nvidia 2017 doesn’t support Dolby vision or atmos, doesn’t support hdr on YouTube etc plus it has started to become buggy. I was torn between ATV and nvidia pro but for my use case ATV is fine.
Dec 24, 2012
787 posts
1156 upvotes
Terrebonne
blyndfyre wrote: All depends on what you need. I’m a fan of the Shield but the seamless experience with the Apple TV suits my family members much better as they aren’t tech savvy. Little things like access to your keychain stored passwords and being able to type with your phone instead of using the remote for text fields. Also, using my AirPods or beats with the Apple TV when the kids are sleeping but I want to watch a loud movie. The Apple TV also serves as my Home Hub.

Do I miss not having the best upscaled media, or DTS decoding and TrueHD pass through on the Plex App? I sure do. You can’t have it all in one box, not today at least.
Depends what ecosystem you're in. With the shield, I can type from my phone, access my Chrome stored passwords, I can use Bluetooth headphones (up plug wired headphones in their gaming controller if you have it) and it can serve as a smartthings hub with a USB dongle.

For a Apple user that doesn't use the advanced playback capabilities of the Shield, I agree the AppleTV 4K is a nice device. But there almost nothing the AppleTV does that the Shield can't do, except YouTube HDR (which is a choice of of codecs by YouTube issue, not a box issue) and Apple ecosystem stuff. On the other hand, there are many things Apple won't let you do or haven't included in their box.

In the end, 2 good but overpriced boxes aimed at different people.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2002
1486 posts
864 upvotes
KarlDag wrote: Depends what ecosystem you're in. With the shield, I can type from my phone, access my Chrome stored passwords, I can use Bluetooth headphones (up plug wired headphones in their gaming controller if you have it) and it can serve as a smartthings hub with a USB dongle.

For a Apple user that doesn't use the advanced playback capabilities of the Shield, I agree the AppleTV 4K is a nice device. But there almost nothing the AppleTV does that the Shield can't do, except YouTube HDR (which is a choice of of codecs by YouTube issue, not a box issue) and Apple ecosystem stuff. On the other hand, there are many things Apple won't let you do or haven't included in their box.

In the end, 2 good but overpriced boxes aimed at different people.
Wanted to add that Apple TV supports 2 pairs of AirPods simultaneously which has been a god send for my wife and I with a newborn in the house. Also, Spatial Audio is surprisingly effective.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)