• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2020 8:45 pm
[OP]
May 17, 2003
9639 posts
3016 upvotes

[Shoppers Drug Mart] Eggs

Eggs
Last edited by couponmummy1 on Apr 22nd, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
87 replies
Apr 17, 2015
542 posts
361 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Been trying to find eggs.. sold out a two Walmarts.. two shoppers and the one Costco I tried.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3632 posts
2261 upvotes
Use to buy 10 cartons of these same eggs for 1.88 a carton on weekends only. Now due to covid they upped the price to 2.29 a carton.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4942 posts
1264 upvotes
Abbottabad
Raise your own chickens. Problem solved.
Jun 18, 2017
453 posts
299 upvotes
If you got 20x in your app and need other items to get to the minimum spend you can take about 30% off these eggs back in points too. I’ve done it a couple of times in the past. Only issue is shoppers is real hit and miss for stock. Some stores have like 40 cartons which sell out within a hour of opening on Saturday. Others have mountains of eggs that you can still find them Sunday afternoon. I say find a store that has a full grocery area they seem to be the ones that have the most stock compared to the stores that just has a fridge section.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
14712 posts
3551 upvotes
been to 3 SDM and no eggs around North York
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Jun 18, 2017
453 posts
299 upvotes
couponmummy1 wrote: It's not limited to Saturday and Sunday. Its an all week sale until Friday. The third one will cost $2.69.
In the west in the past the eggs were always a weekend thing but just looked at the flyer and your right it’s all week this long but they also increased the price compared to their typical weekend only sale.
Jul 31, 2008
241 posts
71 upvotes
By applying this slightly lower price for the entire week I think this is really a smarter move for them
No need for them to advertise weekend sale of 2 dollars or less and
One has to consider that during the weekdays first one hour - seniors get 20% off regular price
Having this advertised price of 2.29 ... it's actually higher than the 2.15 (2.69 less 20%)

I used to know a senior couple who always their milk and eggs runs on SDM Thursday prior to covid.
It was 20% and they accepted the slightly higher eggs price since this was part of their weekly routine
and they avoid those multi cart customers on 20X weekend.

Last week went to Rexall ... weekend sale for 1.99 (Limit 2) ... They don't have it this week
I prefer the ones at Rexall ... Gray Ridge or Burnbrae branded eggs (not No Name)

If sometime this week, there is a weekday SDM PC optimum offer
i.e. Spend 30.00 get 7500 PC points offer
Then I may consider buying eggs at 2.29 to get those PC points

Is this a hot deal - I would say warm
(noticed your reply against downvotes in the other thread)

Should this be a placed in shopping discussion thread - probably.
Just my 2 cents
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15118 posts
3021 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
At the moment, just finding eggs is a deal. Few cents won't change my life
Nov 17, 2016
182 posts
129 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: At the moment, just finding eggs is a deal. Few cents won't change my life
how long has the egg shortage been going on? I just bought 2 cases for Easter a couple of days ago and didn't notice that supplies were low. I'm in Toronto
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5552 posts
8932 upvotes
Montreal
StevePos wrote: how long has the egg shortage been going on? I just bought 2 cases for Easter a couple of days ago and didn't notice that supplies were low. I'm in Toronto
There's no shortage of eggs.
Self fulfilling rumors.
Only local temporary imbalance between how fast people buy and shelves can be restocked.
People don't have breakfast in restaurants anymore, they have breakfast at home so they buy more eggs.
But there are as many laying hens as before.
It's just like the run on TP.
There's no shortage of that either.
There's a shortage of employees in grocery stores to keep the shelves stocked.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15118 posts
3021 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Temporel wrote: There's no shortage of eggs.
Self fulfilling rumors.
Only local temporary imbalance between how fast people buy and shelves can be restocked.
People don't have breakfast in restaurants anymore, they have breakfast at home so they buy more eggs.
There's no supply shortage, but rather the 'supply- chain fullfillment' issue. The Just-in-time inventory systems are just getting re-scoped, as prior forecasts are now flawed. Hence, the empty shelves etc. However, it's not like TP or cleaning supplies, eggs are in much better shape. However, believing that supply-chain is working is flawed. It is not.

Essential supplies like Yeast for baking etc aren't there.. and haven't been since the start. I actually commend the ugly hoarders in the beginning, as they were mostly right. It's us, who believed that everything is ok, that are paying for not hoarding and having to make more trips to stores vs the hoarders.. lol
Last edited by weedb0y on Apr 22nd, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2016
1068 posts
948 upvotes
Montreal
Used to be $1.99 per dozen when on sale. No time machine
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14859 posts
4348 upvotes
Expecting the status quo to continue is wishful thinking. Yes, supplies are being rerouted from restaurants to grocery stores, and warehouse reserves were healthy, but if this continues for months, we will start to see shortages. There are less people working and distancing regulations which will trickle down the supply chain. As long as demand for certain products remain high, supply will start to fall behind.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5552 posts
8932 upvotes
Montreal
Why would there be more demand?
Do people eat more eggs?
(OK, I've gain a few but that's not because of eggs and that's beside the point anyway. Lol!)

Price is a wonderful tool that will tell if there's a shortage or not.
As long as we keep seeing special pricing, it's an indication that there is no shortage.
You don't see special prices on hand sanitizer these days, do you?

We are headed towards less restrictions, not more.
Keep calm and carry on.
There's no egg shortage.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
14712 posts
3551 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Why would there be more demand?
Do people eat more eggs?
(OK, I've gain a few but that's not because of eggs and that's beside the point anyway. Lol!)

Price is a wonderful tool that will tell if there's a shortage or not.
As long as we keep seeing special pricing, it's an indication that there is no shortage.
You don't see special prices on hand sanitizer these days, do you?

We are headed towards less restrictions, not more.
Keep calm and carry on.
There's no egg shortage.
special used to be $1.88 and now $2.29 where regular is $2.69...with limit one per person..so I guess yes there is shortage
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5552 posts
8932 upvotes
Montreal
kiasu wrote: special used to be $1.88 and now $2.29 where regular is $2.69...with limit one per person..so I guess yes there is shortage
The limit is 2 on the eggs at Shoppers. Then it's $2.69 WITH NO LIMIT! You can hoard if you want!

I should have said "specials" is a wonderful tool that will tell if there's a shortage or not, not price.
Specials on eggs (and other specials) are loss leaders.
The higher or lower price only indicates how much chains are willing to lose on every dozen.
The prices vary up and down from time to time depending on how much of an impact the grocery chains wants to make.
Now, these days, with shorter hours, line-up outside the stores, social distancing inside, merchants don't have to be so aggressive with pricing.
They are almost the only game in town with restaurants closed except for take out.
Some merchants like Walmart and Pharmaprix (Shoppers) have even stopped with their flyers.

The point is you wouldn't see eggs on special, whatever the price, if there was a shortage.
Dec 30, 2006
665 posts
361 upvotes
Toronto
Temporel wrote: There's no shortage of eggs.
Self fulfilling rumors.
There absolutely is a supply shortage of eggs.

Egg suppliers are limiting what retail stores can order from them. Where as before they put no limits
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
19711 posts
5867 upvotes
SDM had the eggs local here in Thunder Bay. I don't eat as many as I used to so they go to waste. Wish I could buy 6 packs at a reasonable rate but they usually cost more than buying 12.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5552 posts
8932 upvotes
Montreal
tyrrell wrote: There absolutely is a supply shortage of eggs.

Egg suppliers are limiting what retail stores can order from them. Where as before they put no limits
Source or B.S.!

Kind of ironic, I just found Hand sanitizer on special.
I guess we are beginning to see less shortage for that.