• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2018 6:44 pm
[OP]
Dec 6, 2013
688 posts
249 upvotes
Ontario

Shoppers Drug Mart and false advertising

A few digital items were on sale for one-day-only special at Shoppers Drug Mart (Sat Oct 24) - one of which being the Samsung Galaxy Tab4 tablet.

I am located in Brampton and I called no less than 10 local stores, absolutely none had stock. During the day I travelled to another city for an appointment, and I made few calls while waiting. Probably another 10 stores around the area, also no stock.

How is this legal I don't understand. This is clearly false advertising. Their systems are not linked together so no store can check stock of any other. You basically have to either call or visit the store to find stock.

Basically they can put anything on an enormous sale to lure customers to the stores then simply say 'Opps sorry no stock', wasting the customer's time?

This is not the first time I have experienced this at SDMs but I am appalled as to how they are allowed to do this?

Not to mention the stupid No Return policy on electronics some stores had but not written on receipt/ not indicated on display/ not mentioned at point of purchase. This is why I barely shop at SDM! > :( > :(
:cool:
49 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
Am I reading your question right?
They have no inventory in the few Brampton stores you went to, so it's false advertising?
Aug 29, 2015
206 posts
51 upvotes
OP said all 10 stores in Brampton has no stock of the advertised deal, another 10 stores in another city also has no stock of the advertised deal. The deal is only for Saturday and she called on the same day. OP may has a point, why is it all 20 stores have no stock of the advertised deal?
Aug 29, 2015
206 posts
51 upvotes
xfftwf wrote: A few digital items were on sale for one-day-only special at Shoppers Drug Mart (Sat Oct 24) - one of which being the Samsung Galaxy Tab4 tablet.

I am located in Brampton and I called no less than 10 local stores, absolutely none had stock. During the day I travelled to another city for an appointment, and I made few calls while waiting. Probably another 10 stores around the area, also no stock.

How is this legal I don't understand. This is clearly false advertising. Their systems are not linked together so no store can check stock of any other. You basically have to either call or visit the store to find stock.

Basically they can put anything on an enormous sale to lure customers to the stores then simply say 'Opps sorry no stock', wasting the customer's time?

This is not the first time I have experienced this at SDMs but I am appalled as to how they are allowed to do this?

Not to mention the stupid No Return policy on electronics some stores had but not written on receipt/ not indicated on displayed/ not mentioned at point of purchase. This is why I barely shop at SDM! > :( > :(
Did you try asking them for a rain check?

London Drugs would give rain checks out for advertised item that are not available at the store.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
754 upvotes
Vancouver
SDM is no bestbuy.
Not all locations carry wide variety of electronics.
If they have, it's probably couple units at most.

There is absolutely zero chance they all sold out before op called?
[OP]
Dec 6, 2013
688 posts
249 upvotes
Ontario
MrsPotato wrote: Am I reading your question right?
They have no inventory in the few Brampton stores you went to, so it's false advertising?
A few? Try 20.
importpsycho wrote: SDM is no bestbuy.
Not all locations carry wide variety of electronics.
If they have, it's probably couple units at most.

There is absolutely zero chance they all sold out before op called?
I sent to a SDM to pick up a Canada Post package at 10 AM, no stock. That's when I went home and started calling the others around in Brampton, the calls stopped around 11:30AM as I had to leave.

I called at the second city around noon while waiting.

It would be quite crazy to think all 20+ stores went out of stock within half a day.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
3418 posts
768 upvotes
Canada
why didn't you PM that at walmart? take your business elsewhere...
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1020 posts
478 upvotes
although id agree sdm stock is hit or miss (what i hate about them!)
and the electronics are even worse.
My guess is however. alot of the stores probably said no they dont have when they may have it. staff too lazy to check alot of times electronics can be hidden well.. (locked in boxes, hidden up very high, hidden behind counter at checkouts.. in back room sometimes.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1020 posts
478 upvotes
badsha wrote: why didn't you PM that at walmart? take your business elsewhere...
I imagine for points and /or redemption.
Sep 29, 2014
684 posts
312 upvotes
GTA
Are we talking about this tablet ?

There are lots of reasons why the stores might not had stock.
But to say its false advertising is stretching it.

Next time don't waste so much time and just PM BB or WallyWorld.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2013
688 posts
249 upvotes
Ontario
D50M83 wrote: Next time don't waste so much time and just PM BB or WallyWorld.
bryceton wrote: I imagine for points and /or redemption.
Correct. I wanted to use all my points as I barely shop at SDM anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
162 upvotes
I don't know of you have even worked at a retail store but usually when there a really good sale people line up outside of the door before the store opens.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2013
688 posts
249 upvotes
Ontario
nano wrote: I don't know of you have even worked at a retail store but usually when there a really good sale people line up outside of the door before the store opens.
Some stores actually confirmed with me they didn't have stock for the sale.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
33884 posts
3783 upvotes
Winnipeg
comolake wrote: OP said all 10 stores in Brampton has no stock of the advertised deal, another 10 stores in another city also has no stock of the advertised deal. The deal is only for Saturday and she called on the same day. OP may has a point, why is it all 20 stores have no stock of the advertised deal?
because the flyer is canada wide and a lot of stores don't have stock, like when ps4 game goes on sale i called around and nobody have stock, shoppers is mainly food n drug store, their tech stock is extremely unreliable
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20630 posts
4727 upvotes
Poormond Hill
xfftwf wrote: Some stores actually confirmed with me they didn't have stock for the sale.
So some did have it. This ain't no different than any other retailer.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.