Expired Hot Deals

Shoppers Drug Mart

Fire HD10 Tablet 32G - $102 after 20x points (YMMV - app offer) - starting DEC 26 & 27

Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1617 posts
2899 upvotes
Shoppers drug mart is complete garbage. LOTS of false advertising. For example. KOBO LIBRA 2 eREADER. I called EVERY store in Winnipeg for this and not ONE store had it and all said they won't have it for a while. FALSE ADVERTISING!! Plus they didn't have the Amazon Fire HD10 either. This scam is just to get you into their stores hoping you'll buy something else. SCAM SCAM SCAM! There, I feel better now. Where's my coffee?
$52 25GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk and Text - Telus EPP Plan - Includes Apple Watch LTE @ NO CHARGE!
BYE BYE ROGERS!
$21.99 1GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Talk/Text Canada - Public Mobile
Fongo. Free CAD Calling.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23136 posts
28667 upvotes
Most people know that SDM has limited selection, very hit and miss, depending on store.

I think where most people are surprised is by how little effort it takes to do better for less.

Business wholesalers, small electronics shops, grey markets resellers, USA direct buys, etc., often beat big box.

I get that SDM is conveniently close, but who wants a wild goose chase?

If you can find this tablet with the 20x points, it's a great deal, none of my local SDMs seem to stock it though.

Good luck and God bless.
Feb 14, 2019
44 posts
31 upvotes
Thanks OP!

I got the Fire 10 tablet and Fire Stick Lite for $147 including tax. I paid $199.20 and received 52200 PC points.

It is the latest tablet with 3GB ram and camera is on horizontal side.

I found the tablet on 747 Don Mills SDM. They just had one 10 inch which I bought. They still have couple of 8 inch fire tablets.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1360 posts
1022 upvotes
Whitby
ipse wrote: I ended up with the Lenovo Duet from Staples and after a bit of tinkering to sideload apps, it's perfect. Better battery life too, better build, more space and memory...not to mention the keyboard and cover.

Hope this helps someone.
I sideloaded Wyze cam app and it just looks like it's running on an emulator. Any tips or tricks to make it behave like a native app?
Jul 13, 2018
263 posts
430 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought this the Fire HD10 tablet during Black Friday sale, it was $134.99+tax, and I used the bonus points redemption, 70k for $100, plus I had a new email sign up of 10k for $40 spend.

It's a great tablet for the price, I've sideloaded Playstore, but I'm really only using it for browsing and videos for the kid (YouTube, Netflix). You get what you pay for at the end of the day.

As others have mentioned, finding stock was hard. I rang around all the local stores at the time and only 1 store had 1 in store. BTW, it was the latest 2021 model with the camera on the long side.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1779 posts
528 upvotes
Ottawa
Amazon locked down several things like launcher etc in 7.3.2.2 firmware. this make Fire tablet very unusable.
do not update firmware. if new tablet come in 7.3.2.2. I will return and get one with older stock.
turnoff home wifi before using Fire Toolbox.
Jun 15, 2008
66 posts
49 upvotes
Kamdo wrote: I bought this the Fire HD10 tablet during Black Friday sale, it was $134.99+tax, and I used the bonus points redemption, 70k for $100, plus I had a new email sign up of 10k for $40 spend.

It's a great tablet for the price, I've sideloaded Playstore, but I'm really only using it for browsing and videos for the kid (YouTube, Netflix). You get what you pay for at the end of the day.

As others have mentioned, finding stock was hard. I rang around all the local stores at the time and only 1 store had 1 in store. BTW, it was the latest 2021 model with the camera on the long side.
I bought my 2021 Fire HD 10 during BF too. Discovered that the SD cards must be formatted to FAT32 (this is 2021, not 1990), so I can't load any large movie files onto it. I also cannot get it to connect to my Macbook Pro, via the included USB C cable or via Bluetooth. So, I think it's going back.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
4789 posts
3296 upvotes
Vancouver
goiceland wrote: Can this be rooted and install android?
No, the latest one that can be rooted is 2019 (i believe). That said, if you just want to install android apps, you can pretty easily install them on fire tablet.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2007
1207 posts
267 upvotes
Psykopathik wrote: So pissed. They messed up my account on BF ad took 130,000 points but didnt process my order. Missed the sale, bonus points and still have not returned my points.

Sdm fails on so many levels
The sale is still on and the 20x bonus points is still on today. You don’t need the points returned to take advantage of this deal today if you still want it and can find stock.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6587 posts
6905 upvotes
Vancouver
ipse wrote: ...Returning the POS as for MY use case (wanted Slack, Zoom, Teams, to casually work without being stuck in front of the computer) it's unusable.
How do you plan to return it? SDM won't accept any returns on electronics after you open the box, even if it's defective.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2007
1207 posts
267 upvotes
cf7777 wrote: Amazon locked down several things like launcher etc in 7.3.2.2 firmware. this make Fire tablet very unusable.
do not update firmware. if new tablet come in 7.3.2.2. I will return and get one with older stock.
turnoff home wifi before using Fire Toolbox.
I got one with a lower firmware version how can I prevent it from updating going forward? Do I have to install fire toolbox first? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2005
3292 posts
1004 upvotes
kuzi wrote: I got one with a lower firmware version how can I prevent it from updating going forward? Do I have to install fire toolbox first? Thanks!
Yes. DO NOT turn on wifi before installing Fire Toolbox.

Install Fire Toolbox, disable Automatic Updates and OTA Updates. Then you can turn on wifi.

Good luck.