Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Shoppers Drug Mart

Get 50,000 points when you spend $150 online (Electronics now available for shipping)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2020 6:13 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2014
1171 posts
741 upvotes
Toronto
Longprocess wrote: The points have value regardless of how you got them. It doesn't make sense to not count the points as having any value when you spend them but count them when your receive them.

Consider this:

You open a new account and make two shopping trips as follows

Transaction 1: Buy $100 worth of goods: Spend $100 cash, receive 100,000 points (it's possible).

You would look at this and say "I bought $100 for free because I got $100 worth of points back"

Transaction 2: Buy $100 worth of goods again: Spend $0 cash, spend your 100,000 points, receive 0 additional points.

You would again look at this and say "I bought $100 for free because I only used my 100,000 points and no cash."

The result from your logic would be that you got $200 for free (earned 100,000 back in the first transaction, and in the 2nd only used 100,000 points without spending any cash).

When of course, that is not the net result of these two transactions. The actual result is that you spent $100 and got $200 worth of goods (with 100,000 points being received and redeem in the process).

The takeaway is that points cannot count as 0 when spent but then count as value when received. It means you double count your points in every transaction. This has nothing to do with whether your points were free or not.
I suggest you give up and not waste your time with him anymore. You can not educate someone that does not want to learn.
Jul 2, 2014
119 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks OP
I bought the switch with 200k points
Net $150 after tax....
Nice deal

Any recommendations on games to get????
Oct 30, 2018
448 posts
438 upvotes
Pharmer wrote: I suggest you give up and not waste your time with him anymore. You can not educate someone that does not want to learn.
I'll do that. I've explained it about as well as I can. They either just don't get it or they're trolling. I just find it hard to believe that they're trolling because I just can't fathom where someone would have to be in their life to derive any enjoyment from trolling on a deals forum of all places. Very sad.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2014
1171 posts
741 upvotes
Toronto
velo2k wrote: Thanks OP
I bought the switch with 200k points
Net $150 after tax....
Nice deal

Any recommendations on games to get????
Should of bought a game in the same transaction with the switch so you get 50k points back
Jul 19, 2018
896 posts
1491 upvotes
Longprocess wrote: The points have value regardless of how you got them. It doesn't make sense to not count the points as having any value when you spend them but count them when your receive them.

Consider this:

You open a new account and make two shopping trips as follows

Transaction 1: Buy $100 worth of goods: Spend $100 cash, receive 100,000 points (it's possible).

You would look at this and say "I bought $100 for free because I got $100 worth of points back"

Transaction 2: Buy $100 worth of goods again: Spend $0 cash, spend your 100,000 points, receive 0 additional points.

You would again look at this and say "I bought $100 for free because I only used my 100,000 points and no cash."

The result from your logic would be that you got $200 for free (earned 100,000 back in the first transaction, and in the 2nd only used 100,000 points without spending any cash).

When of course, that is not the net result of these two transactions. The actual result is that you spent $100 and got $200 worth of goods (with 100,000 points being received and redeem in the process).

The takeaway is that points cannot count as 0 when spent but then count as value when received. It means you double count your points in every transaction. This has nothing to do with whether your points were free or not.
And wrong. You are not even in the same world. Move along.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
Drew81 wrote: No fire stick 4K. Total crap.
down the road when this stock depletes and that product phases out. The new firestick light or non 4k...is basically the same stick as the 4k only at 1080p and .5gb of ram less
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2014
1171 posts
741 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone confirm for last year 2019 deal on switch.
Can you get the bonus giftcard AND 20x points if you had the personal 20x offer on the PC app (not the store offer)?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
3108 posts
3603 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Pharmer wrote: Can anyone confirm for last year 2019 deal on switch.
Can you get the bonus giftcard AND 20x points if you had the personal 20x offer on the PC app (not the store offer)?
gift card bonus and other offers stack.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2014
1171 posts
741 upvotes
Toronto
junglemage666 wrote: gift card bonus and other offers stack.
So for 400$ switch, you could potentially get the 150$ GC AND 120k points back?
Jul 10, 2018
92 posts
17 upvotes
Neon switch OOS.

Got the grey only, I do prefer grey colours but it’s a bit bland compared to the animal crossing I sent back to Walmart.
HP_John wrote: Its because this thread here is about the $150 threshold, since you're only getting 50,000 points free, its not nearly as good as getting 20x the point on a $500 console for example (150,000 points). It doesn't make sense to buy a console on this deal, as you will get much more points on 20x the point than this 50,000 points here. Most SDM have a very limited section of games, but people use SDM to get a great deal on a console. I'm not suggesting SDM loses money overall, they know what they're doing, that is the whole idea of a loss leader. We lose money on a console but we give them points to spend on our very overpriced products. SDM prices are even higher than Loblaws for example
My thinking is this is good with the bonus redemption. 200K points for $300 off, if you have another item you get the additional 50K points for around $150 off total. The biggest redemption period I think was $300 for $450 (can’t remember if there were other deals to stack). I know there’s some really good deals if you can stack gift cards/20x but that’s hard to time plus you don’t have to fight the crowds in stores if they do that redemption again.

Granted my extra item was an item for somebody else that they asked me to get at the right time and I had the bonus 100K so for me this was a pretty good deal, not sure if there’s any that’d be better where I don’t have to hunt down consoles in store..
Apr 5, 2010
373 posts
253 upvotes
simplypop wrote: Shoppers doesn't lose money on consoles or 99% of anything in the store. If you think Shoppers loses money and uses electronics as a lose leader, Loblaws loves you.

Shoppers/Loblaws is still making fantastic money, don't you worry about them. They can afford their yachts :)
I agree with you that as a whole, Shoppers makes money. However, unless you have proof of what a console wholesale price is, everything I've read says the margin on consoles (especially new consoles) is next to nothing. Any discount they give you on a console basically loses them money. Their strategy is that get you into the store so that you end up buying something that does make them money. This is also true for companies like BestBuy, where they will make more money selling you the HDMI cables than the TV.
Dec 30, 2010
489 posts
238 upvotes
Both color of switch is now OOS. I hope they have it back in stock for black friday bonus redemption event.
Jun 5, 2018
132 posts
163 upvotes
Moore Park, ON
George1025 wrote: “Or maybe SDM has a different deal with their suppliers but it feels like they use the knowledge that customers will spend money in their PCO ecosystem on higher profit products then spend their points on these electronics.”

I’ve had the opportunity to talk to a past president of shoppers (I was talking to him as a potential investor, worried about the cost of the optimum program.). He bluntly stated that the bonus redemption days were all about getting women into the store to buy high margin cosmetics. His claim was that it was very successful in driving sales at very little costs given the crazy margins on luxury cosmetics.
Sorry this is taken out of my post where I was basically exclusively talking about how we as RFD users will use the PCO ecosystem. As an informed consumer like yourself and a lot of members here you wouldn't be the type of person that this PC executive is talking about. We are the 1% or whatever that understand the best deal for us is to redeem our points and use their discounts on low margin items like electronics.

I'm not trying to say that they don't make a crap ton of money and that the Majority of people who use the events are their targeted market but regardless I still 100% sincerely doubt that shoppers has a deal with their electronics suppliers to give them kick backs during PC's own internal rewards days and not a typical sale. Maybe they do line up with some sort of discount they get, but I find it hard to believe especially given what you have said that they expect more sales in cosmetics and not many sales in the electronics section during these events and mostly expect people to still buy their high margin goods where they still get a pretty profit even with 20+% off
simplypop wrote: Shoppers doesn't lose money on consoles or 99% of anything in the store. If you think Shoppers loses money and uses electronics as a lose leader, Loblaws loves you.

Shoppers/Loblaws is still making fantastic money, don't you worry about them. They can afford their yachts :)
Idk similar to above I think ya, they must have agreements with the electronics suppliers but usually for regular sales they'll get kick backs. I don't know how their agreements are for their own events but it seems unlikely to me

I guess we're more trying to say that shoppers is not saying "OK we give big discounts on electronics and ppl come shopping here" more so "OK we have these promotions where we give discounts on high margin items that we still make a sizable profit on. By having this promotion there Will be people who buy electronics and we Will lose money on those. But Far more people will not be like that and we will make a ton of money still "

I guess that's how it's a 'loss leader' wrong word for sure but similar idea?

Edit :spelling, grammar
Last edited by brwnthndr on Oct 9th, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
2812 posts
3878 upvotes
DerekK912 wrote: I agree with you that as a whole, Shoppers makes money. However, unless you have proof of what a console wholesale price is, everything I've read says the margin on consoles (especially new consoles) is next to nothing. Any discount they give you on a console basically loses them money. Their strategy is that get you into the store so that you end up buying something that does make them money. This is also true for companies like BestBuy, where they will make more money selling you the HDMI cables than the TV.

Let's just say the "higher ups" love electronics and they don't lose any money on it lol. Or else why would they have this promotion? Same like the 5000 PC points for spending $20 during every weekend in September. They knew people abused it, but they made a killing. $$$ talks.
Jun 5, 2018
132 posts
163 upvotes
Moore Park, ON
George1025 wrote: I’ve had the opportunity to talk to a past president of shoppers (I was talking to him as a potential investor, worried about the cost of the optimum program.). He bluntly stated that the bonus redemption days were all about getting women into the store to buy high margin cosmetics. His claim was that it was very successful in driving sales at very little costs given the crazy margins on luxury cosmetics.
simplypop wrote: Let's just say the "higher ups" love electronics and they don't lose any money on it lol. Or else why would they have this promotion? Same like the 5000 PC points for spending $20 during every weekend in September. They knew people abused it, but they made a killing. $$$ talks.
Like George says above and what is likely very true, the Shoppers executive say thay this promotion is not targeted at us who do buy the low margin items during a discount. Their target market is still the people that will continue to buy high margin items where even with the discount they make a big profit like cosmetics
Jul 19, 2018
896 posts
1491 upvotes
brampton90 wrote: why their prices are high ? that lighting adapter for headphones is $10 from apple with free shipping shoppers charging $14. also which gas station accepts pc optimum for points ?
Mobil 1
Deal Fanatic
Nov 29, 2007
6073 posts
6034 upvotes
No Bum Deals
Splurged again taking advantage of the 200k->300k bonus redemption with the spend +$150 get 50k points.

2x Airpods and a filler for $452 Sell one for $200, give one to the wife.

All said and done out of pocket $11.85 and +/- 140k points.
. 🡻 ԀՈ ⅄∀Ϻ SIHꓕ 🡻
Aug 16, 2020
919 posts
176 upvotes
How do i get more points to to use it for 200kpoints for $300 redemption when i have only 150k points?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 29, 2007
6073 posts
6034 upvotes
No Bum Deals
newuserhere wrote: How do i get more points to to use it for 200kpoints for $300 redemption when i have only 150k points?
I had a in-app store 20x today which gave me 20k points back for buying 50 bucks of essentials, check see if you do, but getting 50k points means you have to buy a lot of stuff... It takes a couple of shops for me to get that spanning 2+ weeks.
. 🡻 ԀՈ ⅄∀Ϻ SIHꓕ 🡻

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)