Expired Hot Deals

Shoppers Drug Mart

Kobo Libra 2 (Black) $220 + 50k PC Optimum points (Oct 27 only)

[OP]
Oct 31, 2004
518 posts
301 upvotes
Toronto

[Shoppers Drug Mart] Kobo Libra 2 (Black) $220 + 50k PC Optimum points (Oct 27 only)

Shoppers now has the new Kobo Libra 2 ereader on their website and there's a 50k PC Optimum offer for purchases over $150 today only.

In Ontario, final price would be $248.59 + 50k points
24 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2632 posts
397 upvotes
Burnaby
nice finding!
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;
Sep 15, 2019
245 posts
574 upvotes
orleans
That's not too bad considering that 20x the points would be 66,000 points.

I would assume they will have them in store if they are now online, and I doubt it will be a super hot item. Still, for some people it might not be worth getting an additional $16 worth of points to have to search for one during 20x the points.
I will tell my grandchildren about the deal I got on an HP Touchpad at the Bank street staples thanks to rfding.
Feb 17, 2005
977 posts
302 upvotes
Outside of the operating system / platform, how are the specs different from the new Kindle paper white? The kindle seems like a better device?
Mar 26, 2008
70 posts
84 upvotes
Edmonton
FYI: I just found out SDM has a terrible electronics policy. If you buy something from them and it doesn’t work you will be stuck with it and you’ll have to go through the manufacturer to deal with it. I just experienced this after I bought a Nintendo switch from them that was a dud. They shouldn’t even sell electronics. So buyer beware.
Oct 13, 2017
837 posts
816 upvotes
Hamilton
porkchopbread wrote: Outside of the operating system / platform, how are the specs different from the new Kindle paper white? The kindle seems like a better device?
Not sure about the specs but Kobo comes with overdrive which gives you access to books from various libraries.
Jul 5, 2007
454 posts
95 upvotes
Langley
I personally had a lot of difficulty with dead pixels on older model Kobos (Forma, Libra H20). Had to exchange multiple times in order to get one with a perfect screen.

If having a perfect screen is important to you, I'd be a bit hesitant due to SDM's exchange policy. You'd have to deal with Kobo directly to exchange units.
Aug 17, 2018
14 posts
3 upvotes
Where did you see the "50k PC Optimum offer"? I could be blind but I'm signed in and don't see it anywhere.
Aug 17, 2021
2 posts
Yeah same I can't find it. Maybe deal expired?
Aug 17, 2018
14 posts
3 upvotes
Ok I found it... when you go to checkout it will say "Bonus Points 50,000".
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1565 posts
947 upvotes
Calgary
porkchopbread wrote: Outside of the operating system / platform, how are the specs different from the new Kindle paper white? The kindle seems like a better device?
Screen and CPU are different. The new libra2 seems to be better but not by far. Also the size is bigger about 0.2 inch. The major difference is the button while paper white doesn't have one. The dimension matters if you want to keep it in your pocket which with libra 2 you probably can't.

This gen paperwhite has a huge upgrade. 17 LED vs 5, USB C vs 2.0, 6.8 VS 6. I'm getting mine today to replace my first gen.

I also have the US library card so kindle actually works better for me than overdrive. Plus I bought my paperwhite for only $100 after all discount including tax which is a lot better and cheaper than kobo.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1675 posts
2520 upvotes
Surrey
ceeaytch wrote: Ok I found it... when you go to checkout it will say "Bonus Points 50,000".
Mine doesn’t show??
Images
  • 06273B91-EFC5-4A92-8ADD-27EE880E6A50.png
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
2571 posts
989 upvotes
Calgary
Gatiix wrote: Yeah same I can't find it. Maybe deal expired?
Aug 17, 2018
14 posts
3 upvotes
jaksdj22 wrote: Mine doesn’t show??
Not sure why it's not working for you. I just picked one up with the bonus 50k points. Attached the email confirmation.
Images
  • Screenshot_20211027-134618.png
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
2084 posts
1972 upvotes
Surrey
ibuddler wrote: Screen and CPU are different. The new libra2 seems to be better but not by far. Also the size is bigger about 0.2 inch. The major difference is the button while paper white doesn't have one. The dimension matters if you want to keep it in your pocket which with libra 2 you probably can't.

This gen paperwhite has a huge upgrade. 17 LED vs 5, USB C vs 2.0, 6.8 VS 6. I'm getting mine today to replace my first gen.

I also have the US library card so kindle actually works better for me than overdrive. Plus I bought my paperwhite for only $100 after all discount including tax which is a lot better and cheaper than kobo.
How did you get it for $100?
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4990 posts
2187 upvotes
Winnipeg
ibuddler wrote: I also have the US library card so kindle actually works better for me than overdrive.
What do you mean by this? I thought US libraries primarily used Overdrive? Can you access Kindle editions from your US library account?
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
4197 posts
6997 upvotes
Abbotsford B.C.
jcon wrote: What do you mean by this? I thought US libraries primarily used Overdrive? Can you access Kindle editions from your US library account?
Overdrive in the states offers Kindle editions, but not in Canada
Jun 9, 2009
855 posts
190 upvotes
Hamilton
ibuddler wrote: Screen and CPU are different. The new libra2 seems to be better but not by far. Also the size is bigger about 0.2 inch. The major difference is the button while paper white doesn't have one. The dimension matters if you want to keep it in your pocket which with libra 2 you probably can't.

How did you get a US library card? I’ve been looking for ever ( I have the Oasis, PE 2019, and just ordered the PW Signature) but can’t get a US library card outside of shelling out $150.
Sep 3, 2017
820 posts
1427 upvotes
Vancouver
Dang I didn’t know this update was coming. I bought the Libra H2O about 2 months ago during the 40% back offer.

Not sure what’s the difference really, but I like the USB-C support.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
1860 posts
538 upvotes
Halton
Nice find!

How does this compare to the Kobo Forma ?