Expired Hot Deals

[Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix] 10% Off Canadian Tire Gift Cards (Oct 28 to Nov 3, 2017)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2017 6:25 pm
Nov 19, 2009
414 posts
88 upvotes
Windsor
embguy wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 12:23 pm
The cashier might be using the wrong code ($100 GC code instead of the $50 GC code) for your $50 GC purchase. Just a guess.
I think the cashier has to key in both the code and the dollar amount for some reason unbeknownst to me. In this case, I say it serves SDM right for not making it deduct the discount automatically!
Oct 14, 2013
464 posts
317 upvotes
Seriously, how hard would it be to program the $ amount to deduct automatically??

With some of the newbie cashiers, I've had to literally walk them through how to do it..
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3205 posts
2276 upvotes
Ottawa
embguy wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 12:23 pm
The cashier might be using the wrong code ($100 GC code instead of the $50 GC code) for your $50 GC purchase. Just a guess.
I think that cashier's incompetence as shown below is more common nowadays. They can't do simple calculations without a calculator or a phone. If you give them some small change to try getting back full dollars, a lot of them wouldn't know what to do - for example, if the total comes to $5.35 and you give them $10.35 so you could get $5 bill back , they'll be so lost Disappointed But Relieved Face. It's really sad to see this happening quite frequently.
cheaper_than_cheap wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 10:27 pm
Bought some today and the cashier used a calculator to double check what 10% of $100 worked out to :D Had to laugh/cry a little at that.
jigz787 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 12:18 pm
I had the same story.. Gave $ 10 discount instead of 10%
Hahah
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3184 posts
6779 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Just a friendly reminder that today's the last day for this offer.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7938 posts
1612 upvotes
My cashier had to get a flyer and me point to the ad to believe there was a promo. Then no idea how to do it. Read the ad over and over but apparently failed to notice the code. Afte rbuilidng up a ~15 person line at the only open cash she called for the manager. The manger had to read the ad and try a few times...then use a calculator to verify what 10% of a 100 was
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
1272 posts
340 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
actng wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 12:12 pm
bought michelin xice 3 which was on sale to begin with, with this 10% gift card promo, and the final price is cheaper than simplytire group buy!
I got michelin X-ice 3 from Canadian Tire this Feb. After the discount with 10% off GC, the total price is $498 all in.
Currently on Costco.ca, the total price is $723 all in after $70 rebate
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2814 posts
232 upvotes
I'm looking at the shopper's flyer ending nov 3 (on Flipp.com) bottom of page 3 as suggested in OP but don't see this deal... can someone please post a link..?
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3205 posts
2276 upvotes
Ottawa
zoro69 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 1:44 pm
My cashier had to get a flyer and me point to the ad to believe there was a promo. Then no idea how to do it. Read the ad over and over but apparently failed to notice the code. Afte rbuilidng up a ~15 person line at the only open cash she called for the manager. The manger had to read the ad and try a few times...then use a calculator to verify what 10% of a 100 was
Ha.ha... they both must have done the same Shoppers-R-Us trainings. I bet they don't know how to apply 50% off sale items either.

I was at a SDM earlier this week to get the CT GCs, I didn't see any left on the display so I asked 2 of them if they had any behind the cash or in the back. They both said that everything they had was on the racks and didn't bother checking. A minute later one of them opened the drawer behind them to get something else, lo and behold, lots of CT GCs were scattered in the drawer and present in full view so I got some. I'm scared for our future Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1192 posts
328 upvotes
Another story about SDMs staff. I'm worried about the future too.

Found 1 $100 GC and 2 $25 GC in the rack.
Took the flyer to the cash, cashier enters the PLU without scanning GC first. She didn't know how to proceed. She asks another cashier how to enter the promo, the other cashier says that's only a 2 day sale promo and it's over. I said where does it say it's a 2 day sale. She kept insisting it was.
Another SDM employee was behind me in line waiting to pay for something. He grabbed the flyer and by looking at the super small print for 2 seconds he said yes it's a 2 day sale. Then I said where does it say that. He said I don't know I can't see the print is too small.
So why did he say it was a 2 day sale when he can't even see.

Anyway they call the manager, she tries to read the small print but couldn't see either. She finally said ok scan the GC first then enter the PLU.
After entering the PLU the cashier needs to enter the dollar amount of the rebate, the cashier looks at me and the manager and says what is 10% of $25 I had to step in and say $2.50. the same for the$100 GC , she asked what is 10% of $100 again I had to say $10.

I guess it's in the job description of SDM employees that basic math is not required and serving customers is not important.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9632 posts
2280 upvotes
i had no problems, walked in last night, found 30+ gift cards on the shelve, grabbed 100$ one, went to pay, no line, cashier opened the flyer and grabbed a code, wrang it in, i paid 90$

then i went to Canadian tire, got new wiper blades, furnace filters, and some other stuff and used the card.

really easy here. im in just outside of Edmonton.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3205 posts
2276 upvotes
Ottawa
jadoocian wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 1:51 pm
I'm looking at the shopper's flyer ending nov 3 (on Flipp.com) bottom of page 3 as suggested in OP but don't see this deal... can someone please post a link..?
SDM Flyer link Still see it at the bottom of page 3.

Looking at your signature, you'll either need to do a close-up magic to see it or maybe this is just an illusion to you LOL
Sep 10, 2017
654 posts
201 upvotes
i was Yonge st and only few 50$ CT cards were left. so now a couple remaining after i picked up 6. Question. Do the cards get activated when we use them first time or the cashier activates them when we pay for them?
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2814 posts
232 upvotes
gumby wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 4:02 pm
SDM Flyer link Still see it at the bottom of page 3.

Looking at your signature, you'll either need to do a close-up magic to see it or maybe this is just an illusion to you LOL
lol thank you and well played
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3184 posts
6779 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Loving the stories! But I do feel for the cashiers - most of their transactions, including GC's, require no PLU input or entering of discounts - just scan and total. In come the RFD crowd to both get a deal and help brush up the SDM workforce math skills. LOL.

pishahasha wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 1:17 pm
Seriously, how hard would it be to program the $ amount to deduct automatically??

With some of the newbie cashiers, I've had to literally walk them through how to do it..
I'm not certain if all of their POS machines are setup the same but the locations I go to in the greater Edmonton area requires the cashier to enter the final amount after entering the PLU. For example, a $25 CT GC with a 10% discount would be $2.50 off. The cashier would scan the GC, card value and price shows $25, cashier would enter the PLU associated with the discount, and then would have to enter $22.50 to override the $25 price. Many times the cashier would enter $2.50, thinking the value entered is the discount and not the final price and would go into panic mode when the $25 card shows sale price of $2.50 (discounted 90% instead of 10%). I just smile and say you need to enter the final price of $22.50, not the discount of $2.50.

Perhaps I should include the original GC price, discount amount and final price in my future thread posts. ;)

jadoocian wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 1:51 pm
When I list the page number (3), I go by the physical flyer's page number located at the bottom of the page. When using digital means such as Flipp, Reebee, etc., you need to take that into consideration.

Flipp shows front of Flap as page 1, back of Flap as page 2, page 1 as page 3, page 2 as page 4, and finally physical flyer page 3 as Flipp digital page 5.

If you're still not seeing it, please advise what Postal Code you're using and I'll see if I can provide you with another Postal Code and link that works in TO. :)

Rogues2017 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 4:42 pm
i was Yonge st and only few 50$ CT cards were left. so now a couple remaining after i picked up 6. Question. Do the cards get activated when we use them first time or the cashier activates them when we pay for them?
The cards should be activated when you pay for them. Posts in past threads mentioned that you have to wait 24 hours before using but I, always concerned about losing any paid GC value to theft, would always make my CT purchase right after I purchase the GC from SDM (usually within 10-20 minutes). I haven't had an issue yet that the cards weren't activated.
Sep 20, 2007
284 posts
129 upvotes
Edmonton
I have bought thousands of dollars of Canadian Tire gift cards over the last three years. In fact I bought $2700 of gift cards this go around, planning on getting some winter tires with tomorrow's 20x points promo.
Currently dealing with my first compromised gift cards purchased at the previous shoppers promo in April. The gift cards were used in May in Calgary, I live in Edmonton. The customer service phone line was able to determine when, what store # and how much was used. They can't determine what was purchased. They also told me the disclaimer on the back "Canadian Tire is not responsible for replacing the value on this card if it lost, stolen, destroyed, damaged or used without your knowledge or consent" Meaning they do no have to replace my compromised gift cards. So make this another warning to you all, request a fresh batch of cards from behind the till.
I have to contact the store manager and ask for them to look up what was purchased and if a canadian tire money card was used. Then file fraudulent gift card use.
Worse case scenerio, I've lost $105 in gift card fraud. Looking at the big picture, I figure'd I have saved $1000 over three years from the 10% off.