[Pharmaprix] President's Choice Gourmet Ground Coffee 875-930g (~2lbs) $12.99

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 2:01 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
3106 posts
4579 upvotes
West GTA
325i wrote: Interesting... I grind my own coffee so I'm on the hunt for coffee beans all the time and everyone recommends kicking horse. Thanks for sharing!
Honestly I always get a bit skittish about buying beans off a grocery store shelf because they can get kind of stale pretty quickly. Typically beans are best for about a month after roasting, and some beans sit in distribution centers or on grocery shelves for several months before being sold. In my experience I've always found that 'fancy' beans that are old and stale aren't any better than 'normal' beans that are freshly roasted.

Detour, Pilot, Vereda Central, Two Bears, Sam James, plenty of other small roasters all have coffee that I personally think is better than Kicking Horse. Plenty of others I haven't tried - Firebat, Goshen, Early Bird, De Mello, Reunion, Social, Hatch, Propeller, Happy Goat, North Roast etc. are all well regarded.

I recently placed a larger order from Moonbeam, which is a bit cheaper than the above listed (~18 bucks per ~450g instead of ~340g). It's a good everyday cup and they ship the day of roasting so it's fresh - my only complaint is that their online caffeinated roasts seem to be on the lighter side and I prefer medium blends.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25735 upvotes
Montreal
flaming homer wrote: True, but SDM near me the black and white tins are hard to find
Ask the manager to keep it in stock for you. He will. They want to increase their sales.
Jan 2, 2014
929 posts
679 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Ask the manager to keep it in stock for you. He will. They want to increase their sales.
Honestly - I've been to 5 shoppers in my area each time they've been on sale recently (ON) - the PC coffee has been completely out of stock - 0 on shelf.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25735 upvotes
Montreal
grumble wrote: Honestly I always get a bit skittish about buying beans off a grocery store shelf because they can get kind of stale pretty quickly. Typically beans are best for about a month after roasting, and some beans sit in distribution centers or on grocery shelves for several months before being sold. In my experience I've always found that 'fancy' beans that are old and stale aren't any better than 'normal' beans that are freshly roasted. (...)
I buy the coffee from this thread regularly and the Best before date under the can increases steadily. Currently August 2022. It doesn't jump all of a sudden from September to January as if a batch had been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for months. Today, the management style is "just in time". Loblaws has 2,400 stores. SDM/Pharmaprix maybe 1,500 stores. The coffee is also present at Maxi, Provigo, No Frills, etc. They sell too much to let it go stale.

Of course, if you buy from a tiny SDM, in a rural area that sells 10 cans per year, check the date under the can but I think you know what I mean. The vacuum sealed cans keep it fresh. Of course, there's no contest when comparing the ground coffee from this thread with freshly roasted $36/kg beans but try it once for fun; you'll be surprised for a $7/900g coffee.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3791 posts
297 upvotes
YUL
the11thdoctor wrote: Honestly - I've been to 5 shoppers in my area each time they've been on sale recently (ON) - the PC coffee has been completely out of stock - 0 on shelf.
In the Shoppers/Pharmaprix stores that I frequent, the usual shelf location would be empty (normally only have a handful of tins), but there is always a separate display elsewhere with a whole bunch of stock. Perhaps see if that's also the case for you.
Jan 2, 2014
929 posts
679 upvotes
twotterdhc6 wrote: In the Shoppers/Pharmaprix stores that I frequent, the usual shelf location would be empty (normally only have a handful of tins), but there is always a separate display elsewhere with a whole bunch of stock. Perhaps see if that's also the case for you.
They have one - that was also empty at them all here :(
Gonna have to make my rounds further out I guess
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
2380 posts
4561 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Pertaining to Western provinces:
  • $7.99/can this weekend. Worth stocking up on a couple cans if this is your thing, based on recent trends (i.e. unlikely to be any lower). I ran out and had to bite at $8.99 last weekend it was on sale.
  • In 2021, the only 2 weekends where it was $6.99 was in January. For the remainder of the year, it was $7.99 for 16 weekends, and $8.99 for 8 weekends (skewed to last couple months of the year).
  • Had it go to $6.99 at least 9 times in 2020, and even $6.49 once.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1102 posts
795 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks, I'm all for supporting local roasters but might try it and see how it tastes!
Images
  • upload.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3791 posts
297 upvotes
YUL
I hope one day there will be a West Coast Dark Roast normal grind available. I only ever want dark roast, and normal grind would work better with my French press :D
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2015
7298 posts
71705 upvotes
On sale January 29 to February 4 for $7.99/$8.99.
Aug 8, 2010
950 posts
803 upvotes
GTA
I have not been able to find the decaf anywhere.
Does anyone have another recommendation for a reasonably priced decaf coffee?
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25735 upvotes
Montreal
The next sale will be from Saturday, February 12th to Thursday, February 17th: $7.99. $9 in the West.

New graphics this time, it seems to be a bag instead of a tin can for the PC coffee.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
Temporel wrote: The next sale will be from Saturday, February 12th to Thursday, February 17th: $7.99. $9 in the West.

New graphics this time, it seems to be a bag instead of a tin can for the PC coffee.
Yes, it seems like they've changed the packaging. I believe it's a cardboard box instead of a tin. I was initially excited to see this eco friendly development. But after buying one I realized that it cannot be recycled because it has a foil lining.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Mar 5, 2017
48 posts
21 upvotes
The new package is 875 grams. It is the same size as the tin container.
I was worried they were doing the smaller size higher price thing that is very common these days.
Well they did do the higher price thing but still is a good price.
Ah inflation.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25735 upvotes
Montreal
The next sale will be from Saturday, February 26th to Thursday, March 3rd: $7.99 ($8.99 in the West).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2015
7298 posts
71705 upvotes
On sale March 12-17. Coffee prices going up?

$8.99 Ontario/Quebec. $9.99 in the West.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3791 posts
297 upvotes
YUL
hill15 wrote: On sale March 12-17. Coffee prices going up?

Ouch, almost 30% increase from $6.99
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25735 upvotes
Montreal
twotterdhc6 wrote: Ouch, almost 30% increase from $6.99
That's also what I thought: Ouch!

But other coffee prices have or will also increase(d) so still IMHO a great deal because it's good.

Only buy during a 20 X the points event (30% back in points) or during a bonus redemption event (minimum 30% bonus on your points).
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
hill15 wrote: On sale March 12-17. Coffee prices going up?

In this case, I'd rather get their whole bean coffee for $12.99.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2015
7298 posts
71705 upvotes
On sale again March 26 to April 1.

$8.99 in Ontario/Quebec.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)