• Sep 18th, 2020 5:12 pm
[OP]
Aug 6, 2019
309 posts
660 upvotes
Ottawa

Shoppers Drug Mart PlayStation 5 (PS5) pre-order email sign up

SDM PS5 Pre-order sign up

For those who are looking to purchase PS5 with your accumulated PC points here is email sign up for PS5 pre-order from SDM.
Last edited by TomRFD on Sep 17th, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
20 replies
Feb 14, 2006
471 posts
380 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
Shoppers return policy don't exist which is something to consider on expensive unreleased electronics.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2002
4743 posts
1962 upvotes
Ruciz wrote: Shoppers return policy don't exist which is something to consider on expensive unreleased electronics.
I bought a PS4 at launch from SDM, when I connected it the system didn't work. I went back to store like an hour after initial purchase and it was a nightmare. They wouldn't refund it and couldn't exchange it because they had no others. I had to go back later in the day to speak to a manager, who also refused a refund and told me I had to deal with Sony for a replacement. I called Sony and they couldn't even process a warranty claim because it was launch day. They told me to return to store. I went back and spoke with manager again who said no again but after some pressure he said he'd refund it if Sony wouldn't replace it. So I had to call Sony again, I did it from the store, it took over an hour to speak with someone. Finally I was able to pass my phone to SDM manager and he spoke with them and hung up. He still didn't want to refund but did it after another 30 minutes of back and forth. He even claimed thier system wouldn't allow a return. Eventually I got the refund but it took hours and was painful. I won't buy launch systems there again. They do seem to have relaxed on returns a bit but it varies from store to store. If it is unopen you might be able to return it but ymmv.
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Oct 25, 2015
223 posts
229 upvotes
Guelph, Ontario
I bought a Google Nest Doorbell Camera from SDM and as soon as I got it home it didn't work. I called the store back right away and they said they wouldn't take it back and that I had to go through Google. Google had limited support due to COVID and it took me 3 weeks to get a replacement unit which worked right out of the box.

Would avoid buying electronics from Shoppers.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2003
1018 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
Depends on the store.

I had a great manager who encouraged me to use my points on a bonus redemption to buy a piece of tech he would take on a return to a GC. Even suggested I purchase two of the exact same item so I am not tempting to open both :) He was not there when it was time to time to return was expecting a problem - reps gave me zero issue.

It's a tough call - getting tech that can be wonky from a retailer whose focus is not tech or ignoring the huge potential point opportunities.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1172 posts
467 upvotes
A return to a GC is not the same as a return and getting your money back.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
1051 posts
176 upvotes
Markham
Lord Denning wrote: Depends on the store.

I had a great manager who encouraged me to use my points on a bonus redemption to buy a piece of tech he would take on a return to a GC. Even suggested I purchase two of the exact same item so I am not tempting to open both :) He was not there when it was time to time to return was expecting a problem - reps gave me zero issue.

It's a tough call - getting tech that can be wonky from a retailer whose focus is not tech or ignoring the huge potential point opportunities.
Fate wrote: A return to a GC is not the same as a return and getting your money back.
Lord Denning mentioned points. So exchanging points to a GC for a return is not good enough for you?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2003
1018 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
SDM is not Costco - it is not even Best Buy or Staples with it's return policy. Never buy a piece of tech there with the intent to 'try it' and return if you don't like it.

For tech you intend to keep (e.g. Xbox, or PS5) - and you have the points or want the points 20x equals 30% off or grandparents can use the senior discount for 20% - there is no better value knowing that it may require a bit more effort to make a return etc.

I for one am happy they sent out this notice, as I have points saved and kids who want a PS5. I am always worried they will drop tech and I will have to buy a ton of overpriced groceries. So promising to sell the price-fixed PS5 will be great for me.
Last edited by Lord Denning on Jun 22nd, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18398 posts
5802 upvotes
Toronto
Don't expect returns on electronics at SDM

Also, this will be at regular price on launch day (regular points redemption).
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2016
1502 posts
1599 upvotes
rofl how do they even call this preorder when you can't order online and have no way of reserving.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14336 posts
26785 upvotes
Scarborough
MastaOogway wrote: rofl how do they even call this preorder when you can't order online and have no way of reserving.
You're signing up to be notified when they do start accepting pre-orders. I'm more curious about how it'll work because I can't imagine most stores would get more than a handful each.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7190 posts
1973 upvotes
T dot 6
TomRFD wrote: You're signing up to be notified when they do start accepting pre-orders. I'm more curious about how it'll work because I can't imagine most stores would get more than a handful each.
Its not going to work. Switches were impossible to find at Shoppers for a long time after launch. I expect it to be the same for PS5 which already are going to be super hard to find because of COVID has hampered production. Even with the expected high cost, demand is vastly going to outstrip supply.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2827 posts
2661 upvotes
GTA
SDM has no idea what preorder means.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2070 posts
1897 upvotes
Whitby
Notification of when available. Right there in title.

If you going to spend almost $1000 why not get back a load of shoppers points? Probably $200 back to you. *bonus*
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2279 posts
961 upvotes
Montreal, QC
i'm going to wait for a bonus redemption weekend and play my luck on that

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)