Mar 3, 2020
1 posts
8 upvotes
Guelph

[Shoppers Drug Mart] RCA Smart TV 65" 4k $549

Saw this at the silvercreek shoppers. Not sure about expiration date
Images
  • 33425692-8270-4F95-9F38-C93AE5965F05.jpeg
Last edited by aasoror on Apr 5th, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added size to title
23 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2448 posts
2251 upvotes
Whitby
Bonus redemption coming next weekend. 9th-11th
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
4043 posts
1381 upvotes
Edmonton
I don't know if I want to purchase a 'smar tv'. Or maybe its a smart V? Not sure...

I think more are going to suggest just spending a bit more from Costco, unless you have alot of points to make this a great deal.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7898 posts
1335 upvotes
Any info on model or specs anything?
IMO, spend a little more, get something better.
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
2226 posts
1855 upvotes
Montreal, QC
it looks like YMMV deal
but it would be nice to stack on 20x pts, that gives like 110K pts back
Jul 2, 2016
524 posts
1290 upvotes
Not sure why they did increase the price but up until the end of last year that same tv would be available for $500. This is a big YMMV but I noticed at my local Shoppers they didn't sell it during weekend sale back in Dec 2020 and it was available during there point redemption event. I was able to do the 200000 points redeemed for 300000 points and the paid the difference with a coupon in the app for 20x the points. It was a great deal!
May 3, 2003
393 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Can OP please add 65" to title? And the SDM location (I assume you're referring to one in Guelph).
Sep 29, 2007
576 posts
161 upvotes
Port Colborne
eshum wrote: Can OP please add 65" to title? And the SDM location (I assume you're referring to one in Guelph).
They did include the location. But maybe edited it in after.

Address: 104 Silvercreek Pkwy N, Guelph, ON N1H 7B4
Mar 21, 2005
130 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
What's the return policy with SDM? If the TV is of bad quality or has issues?
Jun 10, 2018
26 posts
111 upvotes
TV is only worth it if you get it with PC Optimum points. We got this on a points redemption like two years ago? Not happy with it if I paid that cash but with the bonus PCO redemption we're fine with it.
Our complaints that arent the biggest issue that we live with:
  • Start up time is a little slow, takes like 5-10 seconds for anything really to be responsive
  • I haven't been able to use any universal remotes with it (Roku stick remote doesn't work)
  • It's not very smart the smart features are pretty much useless, so we just stick with roku or chromecast
  • All in all I just wouldn't recommend paying full price for
Aim for what this guy did and it'll be worth
George1616 wrote: Not sure why they did increase the price but up until the end of last year that same tv would be available for $500. This is a big YMMV but I noticed at my local Shoppers they didn't sell it during weekend sale back in Dec 2020 and it was available during there point redemption event. I was able to do the 200000 points redeemed for 300000 points and the paid the difference with a coupon in the app for 20x the points. It was a great deal!
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2102 posts
504 upvotes
Scarborough
This TV was 499 last year at sdm. I think at this price point you are better off buying a Costco tv.
Jun 13, 2011
104 posts
216 upvotes
This TV can't handle 4k.

We watch ours on 1080p.

We got this for 499 last year in bonus redemption.
Sep 25, 2009
547 posts
92 upvotes
Maple
lagonis wrote: What's the return policy with SDM? If the TV is of bad quality or has issues?
My friend bought this RCA tv on Black Friday last year. It was defective out of the box. Shoppers couldn't replace it because they had no more stock, and wouldn't accept the return. He was advised he would have to deal directly with RCA.
So I'll try and sum up his experience with Curtis.

No contact through phone, they use email only.
Numerous redundant emails asking for the same info to start the warranty/claim process.
Numerous, and I mean numerous unanswered emails.
Had to drop off the the tv to the repair center in Mississauga.
The repair center knew and advised Curtis within 24 hours that the tv was unrepairable.
It took Curtis over 3 weeks to tell him that.
A month after that, he received a refund cheque in the mail, but no email to advise him a cheque was on it's way.
So overall, it took almost 3 months, and no tv to show for it.
Dec 27, 2007
21216 posts
12746 upvotes
Kitchener
crm2003 wrote: This TV can't handle 4k.
What does that mean? You mean the smart features doesn't support 4K streams? Aside from that it should "handle" 4K over HDMI just as any other native 4K TV out there (quality of the actual image is a different metric though).
Dec 27, 2007
21216 posts
12746 upvotes
Kitchener
dmangsr wrote: Shoppers couldn't replace it because they had no more stock, and wouldn't accept the return.
Electronics at SDM are final sale (they usually stamp the back of the receipt at the time of purchase), not the best place to buy any electronics tbh (except consoles with stellar manufacturer warranty services).
Jun 13, 2011
104 posts
216 upvotes
aasoror wrote: What does that mean? You mean the smart features can't handle 4K streams? Aside from that it should "handle" 4K over HDMI just as any other native 4K TV out there (quality of the actual image is a different metric though).

For ours, can't handle the colours. Using a 4k fire stick and 4k bell Fibe tv box.

Had change the settings from HDMI edid from 2.0(4k) to 1.4(1080p)

My parents have the 60in version, from sdm and same issue.

But, the 1080p is GREAT, and I'm guessing the TV is doing an up scaling.

Overall very satisfied with the TV

Sep 25, 2009
547 posts
92 upvotes
Maple
aasoror wrote: Electronics at SDM are final sale (they usually stamp the back of the receipt at the time of purchase), not the best place to buy any electronics tbh (except consoles with stellar warranty services).

Yes, I know, but he wasn't expecting two things to happen
1. The tv to be defective out of the box.
2. The horrible customer service from Curtis.
Dec 27, 2007
21216 posts
12746 upvotes
Kitchener
lagonis wrote: What's the return policy with SDM? If the TV is of bad quality or has issues?
Final sale, opened or otherwise. Very risky gamble buying an RCA tv from SDM. Wait for RCSS no tax/redemption events at least they will allow for returns/exchanges with 0 questions asked.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2010
1002 posts
288 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm sure nobody is rushing out to get this, but I did see one about half an hour ago at Edmonton's 111st and Ellerslie road location when I was buying discount easter chocolate.
Dec 27, 2007
21216 posts
12746 upvotes
Kitchener
crm2003 wrote: For ours, can't handle the colours
Can you elaborate? Are you saying when fed 4K signal over it's HDMI 2.0 ports the colors get messed up? Then you once set the source to FHD same contents will play fine?
I'm guessing the TV is doing an up scaling
All native 4k displays will upscale (one way or the other) when fed input mismatching their native display resolution, not sure if you are suggesting that this TV isn't a 4K TV or that it can't accept 4k input!