[Shoppers Drug Mart] Reactine extra strength (10mg) 30 count $14.99 w/ coupon

[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1009 posts
1750 upvotes
Kingston, ON

[Shoppers Drug Mart] Reactine extra strength (10mg) 30 count $14.99 w/ coupon

Bought some Reactine extra strength 30 pill count box today at SDM. Most stores of SDM (and even Rexall) in their allergy pill aisles have a pull-tab coupon thingy sticking out which lets you save $3 off Reactine. So with the current sale price of $17.99 - $3 makes it $14.99, great deal for springtime allergies.

Various pill count and types of Reactine are on sale til April 17th @ SDM.

30 pills of extra strength for $14.99 is pretty good.

Check your local Flipp website/app for flyer listing, $17.99 price should be nationwide.
Images
  • reac.jpg
  • reactj.jpg
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
1053 posts
439 upvotes
ips1177 wrote: Bought some Reactine extra strength 30 pill count box today at SDM. Most stores of SDM (and even Rexall) in their allergy pill aisles have a pull-tab coupon thingy sticking out which lets you save $3 off Reactine. So with the current sale price of $17.99 - $3 makes it $14.99, great deal for springtime allergies.

Various pill count and types of Reactine are on sale til April 17th @ SDM.

30 pills of extra strength for $14.99 is pretty good.

Check your local Flipp website/app for flyer listing, $17.99 price should be nationwide.
Cashiers are still taking coupons? At Sobeys, they refused to scan my points card from my phone because they would have to touch it. Apparently no scanning guns right now. Had to pay $300 out of pocket instead of redeeming
Apr 7, 2007
670 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm, I've just been buying the 200 pill 10mg Cetirizine generic from Wal-Mart for the last few years. Costs about the same and works just as well I find.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1009 posts
1750 upvotes
Kingston, ON
ariel wrote: Cashiers are still taking coupons? At Sobeys, they refused to scan my points card from my phone because they would have to touch it. Apparently no scanning guns right now. Had to pay $300 out of pocket instead of redeeming
Thats silly they wouldn't take your coupon. These covid-19 precautions are all well & good but mass hysteria must stop. The store itself provided the coupon so they damn sure took it, in my case at least.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1009 posts
1750 upvotes
Kingston, ON
H8TR wrote: Hmm, I've just been buying the 200 pill 10mg Cetirizine generic from Wal-Mart for the last few years. Costs about the same and works just as well I find.
I also tried the Rx generic brand but I find it makes me drowsy whereas the name brand Reactine works a bit better and not much drowsiness.
Nov 29, 2009
201 posts
133 upvotes
London
H8TR wrote: Hmm, I've just been buying the 200 pill 10mg Cetirizine generic from Wal-Mart for the last few years. Costs about the same and works just as well I find.
I buy the Equate brand from Walmart also. Works just as good for me. Buying these at Walmart for over past 5 years and the costs are Much Lower. 200 is like $28.00 plus tax. If you were to buy the actual Reactine brand, 180 pills at op's price would be $90.00 + tax.
WISDOM IS JUST A HIGHER LEVEL OF COMMON SENSE ...
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15104 posts
3017 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
You can get this on prescription too.. specially if insurance works
May 9, 2014
129 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto, ON
weedb0y wrote: You can get this on prescription too.. specially if insurance works
Ding, ding!! We have a winner!!

If you have a drug plan, get a prescription strength 20mg and cut each tablet in half.

Wish someone told me about this earlier, been paying out of pocket for over the counter antihistamine when my drug plan would have covered.

Note my drug plan doesn’t cover for over the counter strength.
Oct 24, 2004
865 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
ips1177 wrote: I also tried the Rx generic brand but I find it makes me drowsy whereas the name brand Reactine works a bit better and not much drowsiness.
Is there really a difference? At least one worth the difference in price?

The last time I was at Costco, I saw Reactine was on sale and I was debating it until I saw the regular generic ones at 1/3 the cost of the Reactine at sale price.
Sep 5, 2017
108 posts
125 upvotes
Halifax
aidzhsiah wrote: The last time I was at Costco, I saw Reactine was on sale and I was debating it until I saw the regular generic ones at 1/3 the cost of the Reactine at sale price.
Buying cetirizine (generic equivalent of reactine) is a big saving at Costco. Haven't bought in a long time but if I recall worked out to be around 5 cents a pill. Compared to shoppers 50 cents a pill. Even if you prefer Reactine you can get great savings there too!

Personally none of the oral antihistamines have worked for me. Avamys (prescription) changed my life.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5240 posts
1516 upvotes
Toronto
aidzhsiah wrote: Is there really a difference? At least one worth the difference in price?

The last time I was at Costco, I saw Reactine was on sale and I was debating it until I saw the regular generic ones at 1/3 the cost of the Reactine at sale price.
I've never tried Reactine but take Equate brand from Wal-Mart cetirizine hcl and it works, at a fraction of the price of Reactine.
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro | CCM Ribcor Trigger 3D/Bauer Supreme 1S LE
'18 Union Flite Pro Red | Bauer Supreme 2S Gloves
'08 K2 T1 | CCM Super Tacks AS1
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9830 posts
9475 upvotes
Markham
I got a prescription for 90 tablets of CETIRIZINE HYDROCHLORIDE 20mg from my doctor and I paid like 8 bucks for it.

I suggest, if you have insurance, to get a prescription.
Feb 12, 2002
738 posts
155 upvotes
Vancouver
Kirkland Signature Cetirizine Hydrochloride tablets 10 mg, 200 tablets for $14.99 this week, it's $4 off, regular price is $18.99. The tablets can be split in half if you want a smaller dosage.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2004
1239 posts
629 upvotes
I suggest Montelukast (Singulair) with a prescription if ya have insurance. None of the OTC stuff ever did zilch for my allergies.
Aug 2, 2016
357 posts
421 upvotes
klown wrote: I suggest Montelukast (Singulair) with a prescription if ya have insurance. None of the OTC stuff ever did zilch for my allergies.
I don't mean any offense. You seem to have different allergies from what others are posting. Montelukast may be right for you but your statement is potentially misleading.

The thread is about antihistamines for seasonal allergies as OP suggests. You're suggesting a medication that is neither an antihistamine nor for routine treatment of seasonal allergies. Montelukast has specific indications as an alternative maintenance treatment for asthma and people shouldn't be going to their doctors asking for it to treat their seasonal allergies.

Along the lines of what other people have suggested, if you're looking for a prescription-required antihistamine because you have insurance, ask your doctor for a prescription-required antihistamine. Options include Cetirizine 20 mg tablets, Blexten, or Rupall.

**But of course, don't take medical advice off RFD :)
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2004
1239 posts
629 upvotes
jtsc88 wrote: I don't mean any offense. You seem to have different allergies from what others are posting. Montelukast may be right for you but your statement is potentially misleading.

The thread is about antihistamines for seasonal allergies as OP suggests. You're suggesting a medication that is neither an antihistamine nor for routine treatment of seasonal allergies. Montelukast has specific indications as an alternative maintenance treatment for asthma and people shouldn't be going to their doctors asking for it to treat their seasonal allergies.

Along the lines of what other people have suggested, if you're looking for a prescription-required antihistamine because you have insurance, ask your doctor for a prescription-required antihistamine. Options include Cetirizine 20 mg tablets, Blexten, or Rupall.

**But of course, don't take medical advice off RFD :)
No offense taken. Montelukast can also be used for allergies:

"This medication is also used to relieve symptoms of hay fever and allergic rhinitis (such as sneezing, stuffy/runny/itchy nose)."

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6478 ... al/details

I have taken it for years and it has helped. I suffer from different types of rhinitis, allergic and non-allergic.
Aug 2, 2016
357 posts
421 upvotes
klown wrote: No offense taken. Montelukast can also be used for allergies:

"This medication is also used to relieve symptoms of hay fever and allergic rhinitis (such as sneezing, stuffy/runny/itchy nose)."

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6478 ... al/details

I have taken it for years and it has helped. I suffer from different types of rhinitis, allergic and non-allergic.
Sorry for bringing the thread off topic. I think this is where most people have the information at hand (via the internet) but without the interpretation.
There is evidence that Montelukast works well for allergies, specifically those who could not tolerate or did not improve from first line therapies.

As mentioned, there are specific indications for Montelukast and it is not a routine treatment for seasonal allergies. While it can be used for treatment of rhinitis, it has not been shown to be as effective as other treatment modalities, such as steroid nasal sprays. My only issue with the previous post was that I didn't want people going to their doctor asking for Montelukast simply as a switch from Reactine.

For everything there is a risk to benefit ratio. Montelukast is considered a therapy requiring additional caution, which is why it is not readily prescribed. Compare and contrast with antihistamines/ nasal sprays which are generally well-tolerated with fewer potential adverse events. However in your case, you tried the basic therapies, which didn't work, and stepped up the treatment after understanding how to monitor for side effects. That's OK.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1420 posts
628 upvotes
Martyji wrote: Ding, ding!! We have a winner!!

If you have a drug plan, get a prescription strength 20mg and cut each tablet in half.

Wish someone told me about this earlier, been paying out of pocket for over the counter antihistamine when my drug plan would have covered.

Note my drug plan doesn’t cover for over the counter strength.
Plan dependent. My plan does not cover Rx strength probably because their logic is that you can just take 2 of the OTC ones.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
14370 posts
4067 upvotes
Scarberia
weedb0y wrote: You can get this on prescription too.. specially if insurance works
can u get online prescription due to covid19 social distancing, i do NOT want to be near a doctors office
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1303 posts
634 upvotes
Near GTA
FYI to people buying massive quantities...my generic allergy meds are now useless a year after expiry. They just don’t work anymore. So make sure you plan on taking them all, when doing value calcs