Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Shoppers Drug Mart

SDM - HOT if you have 200k+ PC POINTS - Diesel Whey Protein 2lb containers $34.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2022 3:37 pm
Nov 26, 2020
98 posts
347 upvotes

[Shoppers Drug Mart] SDM - HOT if you have 200k+ PC POINTS - Diesel Whey Protein 2lb containers $34.99

Been searching the web for a good protein deal for Canadians.

2lb containers of Diesel New Zealand Whey Concentrate are on sale at Shopper's Drug Mart for $34.99 (regular $38.99). They have the promo of redeeming 200k points for $300 of merchandise going right now also.

Therefore, I placed an order for 9 total containers (18LB of protein powder) for:

$314.91 (subtotal)
+ $15.75 (taxes)
- $200 (points)
- $100 (from SDM promo)

to come out to a whopping $30.66 cash spent.

So, ($200 + $30.66) / 18LB = $12.81/LB for New Zealand Whey. This is a hell of a price for today's times and for a quality product like Diesel.
32 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2017
2449 posts
4447 upvotes
Vancouver
This is really deceptive

Have you not heard of opportunity cost? I could have redeemed those points for $300 in groceries. The protein you got still cost you $300+
Apr 13, 2017
183 posts
227 upvotes
Winnipeg
and what's the expiration date on all of it? Cause 162Lbs of Whey Concentrate is more than most general gym /fitness enthusiasts are going to go through in a year
Nov 26, 2020
98 posts
347 upvotes
soymilkslam wrote: This is really deceptive

Have you not heard of opportunity cost? I could have redeemed those points for $300 in groceries. The protein you got still cost you $300+
Sure, you could have -- in store. Generally speaking, SDM groceries are much more expensive than elsewhere so the promo quality is lessened by the greater cost/item. The product I listed is on sale at a competitive price.

No, it didn't cost me $300+. It cost me $230.66.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
ilovethedeal wrote: Sure, you could have -- in store. Generally speaking, SDM groceries are much more expensive than elsewhere so the promo quality is lessened by the greater cost/item. The product I listed is on sale at a competitive price.

No, it didn't cost me $300+. It cost me $230.66.
Like many, you don't understand points and Galen is counting on that.

SDM groceries are NOT much more expensive than elsewhere IF you only buy what's on special in the flyer during the almost weekly bonus points events. Then, if you redeem during a monthly bonus redemption event, your $200 worth of points are worth at least $260 if you redeem them $65 at a time (the first redemption level) because yes, it might be difficult to redeem 200,000 points for $300 worth of groceries all at once.

But don't kid yourself, points are not worthless. You paid your powder with at least $260 worth of food + $14.91 + 15.75 = $290.66

How much would you have paid elsewhere without having to hoard 18 pounds?
Nov 26, 2020
98 posts
347 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Like many, you don't understand points and Galen is counting on that.

SDM groceries are NOT much more expensive than elsewhere IF you only buy what's on special in the flyer during the almost weekly bonus points events. Then, if you redeem during a monthly bonus redemption event, your $200 worth of points are worth at least $260 if you redeem them $65 at a time (the first redemption level) because yes, it might be difficult to redeem 200,000 points for $300 worth of groceries all at once.

But don't kid yourself, points are not worthless. You paid your powder with at least $260 worth of food + $14.91 + 15.75 = $290.66

How much would you have paid elsewhere without having to hoard 18 pounds?
So the crux of your argument is to buy things on sale that you need? You literally said it would be difficult to make the spend on this limited-time promo, and I agree it would take a ton of time and effort to min-max this.

Ultimately, I needed this powder, and it is (one of if not the) best price around, AND I got to minimize my 'cash spent' for this transaction. What are you on about?

Last edited by MrDisco on Sep 21st, 2022 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
⬆"cash spent" is irrelevant. Total spent is what matters. But suit yourself.

Last year, during the Black Friday event, I bought a Nintendo Switch Deluxe edition (Mario kart) for $400 + taxes (15% in Québec) = $460 I paid $60 cash (taxes) AND 250,000 points for $400. But I didn't go around shooting my mouth that I only paid $60 for my Switch.
Nov 26, 2020
98 posts
347 upvotes
Temporel wrote: ⬆"cash spent" is irrelevant. Total spent is what matters. But suit yourself.

Last year, during the Black Friday event, I bought a Nintendo Switch Deluxe edition (Mario kart) for $400 + taxes (15% in Québec) = $460 I paid $60 cash (taxes) AND 250,000 points for $400. But I didn't go around shooting my mouth that I only paid $60 for my Switch.
I said I spent $230.66 for my purchase, just like you spent $310 for your switch. Are you realizing your comment didn't make sense now?
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
⬆ You STILL don't get it: the 250,000 points I used were worth AT LEAST $325 in groceries on special in the flyer during any (almost weekly) 20X the points event + $60 (taxes) = $385 that I paid for my Switch.

If you don't understand that, it's hopeless. Tell me at least you see it but you choose to look the other way.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
2400 posts
3918 upvotes
Onterrible
Temporel wrote: ⬆"cash spent" is irrelevant. Total spent is what matters. But suit yourself.

I feel you're going down the rabbit hole of semantics when it comes to the PCO Program.

Technically it's impossible to tell what "total spent" truly is as the points that are redeemed could have also been generated from it's own multiplier offers if you REALLY want to get into it...impossible to know unless one were to track every single purchase in their history of buying stuff within PCO stores. For example, I have 1.3M points at the moment, so did I spend $13000 to get them? Definitely not.

OP either buys groceries like you say or protein, he needs both so the difference is null.

I don't think OP is claiming he only spent the $30 on the purchase, just that if one were to do the same as he, they would only be out of pocket $30 AFTER using 200k points that at the time are worth $300.

Personally I only buy things with points that never go on sale (at any retailer) such as certain electronics like consoles or some Apple products. Groceries can always be cheaper somewhere else, though PCO stores do have good sales. Like you I got the Switch during BF 250k for $400, as well as paid for both my PS5 and Series X at launch with 1M points (500k each) and intend to use them on a Series S during BF again.

Didn't think we'd be in a philosophical discussion about PCO points but here we are lol
Oct 28, 2007
187 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
Revolution Protein has 25lb bulk whey chocolate concentrate for 224 shipped to ON.

$230 - $25 (promo o), also got -$7 from signup fitcoin.

Free shaker and iso whey smore sample on checkup.

$9 per lb after tax
Jul 17, 2013
73 posts
126 upvotes
Calgary
Your paying 30+ for 2lb concentrate. Not isolate. Not a good deal. You can get 4lb isolate from Costco for less than 60
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1678 posts
2053 upvotes
GTA
New to protein shakes. How do you determine quality?

I've only ever tried Six Star. I don't know if they're good or not; just that they were on sale.

Any cheap (under $40) and decent quality products for an amateur weight lifter like me?
Nov 16, 2014
250 posts
258 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
dirtyid wrote: Revolution Protein has 25lb bulk whey chocolate concentrate for 224 shipped to ON.

$230 - $25 (promo o), also got -$7 from signup fitcoin.

Free shaker and iso whey smore sample on checkup.

$9 per lb after tax
I bought Revolution isolate 11 lb for $140 in June. It was a hell of a deal with a couple of freebies on the side. But it has been one of the worst isolates I've tried: mixes horribly, chalky texture, and Vanilla flavour is barely palatable. Drinking it for 3 months has been a chore. I will never buy another Revolution protein.
Nov 26, 2020
98 posts
347 upvotes
masterlowping wrote: Your paying 30+ for 2lb concentrate. Not isolate. Not a good deal. You can get 4lb isolate from Costco for less than 60
.. Clearly in the OP it states $12.81/lb which is $25.62/2lb. Not the 30+ blind figure you put out. Also, this is New Zealand concentrate, which has a bit of a cleaner profile than regular concentrate.
QuicKi7 wrote: New to protein shakes. How do you determine quality?

I've only ever tried Six Star. I don't know if they're good or not; just that they were on sale.

Any cheap (under $40) and decent quality products for an amateur weight lifter like me?
Quality = look at ingredient list & nutrition facts. Shorter ingredient list & less 'marketing BS' (like proprietary blends) typically equates to a better product. Lower carbs/fat = a more pure product.
Mixability = try yourself and/or see what others are saying.
odiferousmuffins wrote: I bought Revolution isolate 11 lb for $140 in June. It was a hell of a deal with a couple of freebies on the side. But it has been one of the worst isolates I've tried: mixes horribly, chalky texture, and Vanilla flavour is barely palatable. Drinking it for 3 months has been a chore. I will never buy another Revolution protein.
Yup. I have ordered and consumed more than 75lb from Revolution over the years and it mixes poorly, and it is only ~67.5% pure protein, the rest is fillers and crap. Cheaper for a reason.
Last edited by MrDisco on Sep 21st, 2022 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
1486 posts
3242 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Debating between ordering, Shoppers got Points Days event in 2 days.
HMMM!!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2017
2432 posts
3017 upvotes
Hamilton
mediumsteak wrote: Debating between ordering, Shoppers got Points Days event in 2 days.
HMMM!!
The bonus redemption will be over by then so if you are looking at using points now would be better. Also, the points will only be on certain items for the points event.... And from what I recall it was things like Bounty, Finish, Colgate... stuff like that. Definitely not on protein powder
Dec 20, 2012
583 posts
532 upvotes
Barrie
You can get a similar price per pound from Canadian Protein (Grass-Fed New Zealand Whey Protein Concentrate) without jumping through any hoops/spending points. Their Economy Whey (apparently NZ whey - sauce) blows this out of the water. This is not a hot deal.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2003
2133 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto
ChippewaBarr wrote: Didn't think we'd be in a philosophical discussion about PCO points but here we are lol
Endlessly debating the "correct" usage of PCO points is the hallmark of RFD.

I should know, I've been here awhile...