Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2018

SDM Y530 Gaming Laptop (not the Y520!) $899(-$450 Pts)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2019 8:11 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 21, 2018
9 posts
GBUalways wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 11:09 am
The 20x promo last Saturday was not available for everyone. However, most people got the 20x last Saturday which we could see and was loaded automatically via the PC Optimum app. There is nothing for you to apply the 20x as long as your PC Optimum is scanned by the cashier. Did you see the 20x in your app? Was your card scanned?
I could not remember if I had Saturday on my card, but if I had Sunday and Monday showing, then wouldn't it also include saturday? I also had my card scanned
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1416 posts
834 upvotes
ThisisBischof wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 10:59 am
I bought this the y520 last Saturday (the 24th) and forgot to use the 20x points offer while in-store. When I set up an inquiry, I got this message from customer care:

We are sorry for the inconvenience. On review of your in-store and personal offers available at the time of your transaction, we are unable to locate any valid offer for "20x the points when you spend $75". Unfortunately without a valid offer we are unable to award any points for an item.

This doesn't make sense to me, I was pretty sure the deal ran the whole weekend and a big part of why I bought the laptop at SDM. I'm not losing my mind that it wasn't 20x points Saturday, am I? Also how many points was I supposed to get from buying the laptop? I feel they don't want to give me the points because of it being a big purchase on a 20x points day...
ThisisBischof wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 11:13 am
I could not remember if I had Saturday on my card, but if I had Sunday and Monday showing, then wouldn't it also include saturday? I also had my card scanned
In your prior post, you said you forgot to use the 20x the points. Not entirely sure what you mean by that but if you scanned your optimum card and had the 20x points offer you should have gotten the points. You are contradicting yourself by saying you scanned your optimum card and then forgot to use the 20x the points offer.

It can only be 1 or the other - there is nothing more to do to redeem offers on the app other than just scanning your optimum card
Nov 21, 2018
9 posts
adilh53 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 1:58 pm
In your prior post, you said you forgot to use the 20x the points. Not entirely sure what you mean by that but if you scanned your optimum card and had the 20x points offer you should have gotten the points. You are contradicting yourself by saying you scanned your optimum card and then forgot to use the 20x the points offer.

It can only be 1 or the other - there is nothing more to do to redeem offers on the app other than just scanning your optimum card
Sorry for all the confusion, but I didn't really know the ins and outs of how some optimum offers worked. I didn't realize only some people receive the 20x offer exclusively and that as long as you scan your card, you're fine. I've had cases where I had an offer on my card and scanned it, but it never counted the offer on my receipt or app.
Nov 22, 2016
80 posts
54 upvotes
Barutsu wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 8:35 pm
Some store might have new stock since. The store I went only had the one I got. I didn't try much on the east side of Montreal, so you might have more chance to find one there. I called mainly west island, center, north, downtown. Some in north shore and south shore...
I called anther 30+ stores today, still no luck. A Pharmaprix manager told me over the phone that stores that still have the Y520 will not get restocked until it gets sold, so do you mind letting me know which store you went, I'll call to see if they've got restocked. Thanks!
Dec 12, 2010
670 posts
146 upvotes
does anyone who bought this want to sell their original ram stick or buy one so both ram sticks are same latency and speed?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
3969 posts
1919 upvotes
Vancouver
chaugh wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 4:12 pm
does anyone who bought this want to sell their original ram stick or buy one so both ram sticks are same latency and speed?
I upgraded my ram to a matched pair. Have the original available for $80. Vancouver area (south or VGH).

Ron.
Nov 21, 2018
4 posts
1 upvote
AC2014 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 2:45 am
No need to swap out the HDD. There are instructions on the y520 thread to recover using a Lenovo recovery USB after installing an empty m.2 nvme SSD.

That will wipe all drives, create appropriate partition, and recreate windows on the SSD - leaving behind a fresh empty 1TB HDD you can use as a storage dump.

I just popped in a Samsung EVO 970 500gb ssd and added a stick of 8gb Corsair Value DDR 4 2666 ram.

Hopefully the RAM works... it is being detected
Hey! How'd the upgrade go? When you upgrade the SSD, did the laptop come with a M.2 SSD screw? I heard some of the laptops don't come with the mounting screws.