Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Shoppers Drug Mart

Seagate 6TB Expansion Desktop Drive External HDD - $80 (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2021 7:42 am
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2322 posts
2836 upvotes
Ottawa
Kasakato wrote: Are you buying from SDM Taiwan?
https://www.seagate.com/ca/en/support/w ... aiwan/faq/

Last I checked, this is North America.
Good point. Show me where it says otherwise for a NA warranty and I'll believe anything you're saying. Otherwise....

Here's the link for the Canadian one. It does not state anywhere that it's date of manufacture. It only states to consult the packaging. When I bought my slim from Amazon, it shows the warranty period on the outside and no expiration date.

How Long Does The Coverage Last?

The warranty period for your product is the length of time indicated as part of your product packaging. Please see your product box or quick start guide for the applicable warranty period for your product. You also may go to www.seagate.com/support/warranty-and-replacements to obtain the length of your warranty period for Seagate, Maxtor or LaCie branded product and to determine whether there are any usage-based limitations. If you purchased the product in a European Economic Area Member State, you will receive the longer of your applicable product warranty period or two (2) years. The warranty period for all components other than the main product is ninety (90) days from the documented date of your purchase or two (2) years if purchased in a European Economic Area Member State.

If you got screwed by them for believing they could make such a warranty stick, sorry!
Last edited by aidendanger on Aug 25th, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22705 posts
3696 upvotes
aidendanger wrote: Good point. Show me where it says otherwise for a NA warranty and I'll believe anything you're saying. Otherwise....
Look on the Seagate website. You're clearly capable of finding the wrong info, so keep googling...
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2322 posts
2836 upvotes
Ottawa
Kasakato wrote: Look on the Seagate website. You're clearly capable of finding the wrong info, so keep googling...
Dude, you're clearly capable of spouting BS too. So either show me or walk. Thumbs Up SignSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11263 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: Thats not how Seagate NA works. Theres a predetermined expiration date upon production.
False, check their website: date of purchase.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22705 posts
3696 upvotes
aidendanger wrote: Dude, you're clearly capable of spouting BS too. So either show me or walk. Thumbs Up SignSmiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Ask these folks who discovered the same: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/se ... d.2480932/

Or Seagate's position, granted from years ago- but other than length changes, their policy has been pretty stable: https://techreport.com/news/7733/seagat ... -position/

Or this Amazon buyer:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansio ... r=8-8&th=1
1.0 out of 5 stars Bought in August, dead in November - Seagate says no warranty!
Reviewed in the United States on November 29, 2016
Capacity: 4TBPattern Name: HDDVerified Purchase
Wow, what a disappointment. This was purchased back in August as an external backup device for my pc. My computer is run with a Tripp-lite battery backup and the power also goes through one of my high-end surge suppressors. There has been no power fluxes or storms since I bought this. I've been working in the computer industry since the 1980s so I'm well aware of system operations and what can cause damage. No heat variations, the drive was never bumped or moved. Nothing.

Today I noticed an alert on my backup program. No Seagate drive is seen in Disk Management. I tried the device on a 2nd computer in the house and it is dead. Dead dead dead.

UPDATE: I went to the Seagate website and entered the drive and serial number. As mentioned earlier this was bought in August 2016 here on Amazon. The date of manufacturer on the drive is 02/27/2016. Seagate states "the warranty has expired".

It powers up okay and the blue LED is illuminated. There's no dreaded clicking or clunking and you can feel the drive is spinning, but all computers do not see it. I can't even try fdisking it because no hardware is being registered by my operating systems.

Seagate used to be better than this. Thank goodness I do redundant backups.
Last edited by Kasakato on Aug 25th, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2322 posts
2836 upvotes
Ottawa
Kasakato wrote: Ask these folks who discovered the same: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/se ... d.2480932/

Or Seagate's position, granted from years ago- but other than length changes, their policy has been pretty stable: https://techreport.com/news/7733/seagat ... -position/

Or this Amazon buyer:
1.0 out of 5 stars Bought in August, dead in November - Seagate says no warranty!
Wow, what a disappointment. This was purchased back in August as an external backup device for my pc. My computer is run with a Tripp-lite battery backup and the power also goes through one of my high-end surge suppressors. There has been no power fluxes or storms since I bought this. I've been working in the computer industry since the 1980s so I'm well aware of system operations and what can cause damage. No heat variations, the drive was never bumped or moved. Nothing.

Today I noticed an alert on my backup program. No Seagate drive is seen in Disk Management. I tried the device on a 2nd computer in the house and it is dead. Dead dead dead.

UPDATE: I went to the Seagate website and entered the drive and serial number. As mentioned earlier this was bought in August 2016 here on Amazon. The date of manufacturer on the drive is 02/27/2016. Seagate states "the warranty has expired".

It powers up okay and the blue LED is illuminated. There's no dreaded clicking or clunking and you can feel the drive is spinning, but all computers do not see it. I can't even try fdisking it because no hardware is being registered by my operating systems.

So you're basing your claim on a computer forum and Amazon reviews. Keep googling, you got this! Walk Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

In any case, if you let them pull this on you again I'm sorry you put up with it. I wouldn't.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22705 posts
3696 upvotes
repatch wrote: https://www.seagate.com/ca/en/support/w ... -warranty/

Show us where it says otherwise?
90 days applies to:
The warranty period for all components other than the main product is ninety (90) days from the documented date of your purchase or two (2) years if purchased in a European Economic Area Member State.

--
These accessories are not tracked serials, so there is no expiration date in the warranty checker. Think AC adapters.
Jul 27, 2017
16 posts
14 upvotes
“ The warranty period for your product is the length of time indicated as part of your product packaging. Please see your product box or quick start guide for the applicable warranty period for your product.”

I think they mean that the packaging will say how long the warranty is. Not that it will have an “expiration date” printed on the box.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22705 posts
3696 upvotes
aidendanger wrote: So you're basing your claim on a computer forum and Amazon reviews. Keep googling, you got this! Walk Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

In any case, if you let them pull this on you again I'm sorry you put up with it. I wouldn't.

Im really not sure why you believe you can change Seagate's policies. It been like this way for over a decade.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/co ... _the_date/

Main reason I primarily purchase WDC only.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11263 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: Ask these folks who discovered the same: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/se ... d.2480932/

Or this Amazon buyer:

There's ALOT of bad info out there.

So, let's step back, this is how it works:

Your warranty period is from date of purchase. If you can't PROVE date of purchase, it goes to from date of manufacture. LOTS of companies work that way, and it's actually an improvement over the 'no proof of purchase, no warranty' that most other companies do.

I'm 100% certain that some reps have claimed the second option is the only option, and I'm 100% certain many consumers have fallen for that BS. Don't accept it.

When dealing with warranties don't be 'nice'. Be firm as to what you are due, and don't let them dismiss you.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11263 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: Im really not sure why you believe you can change Seagate's policies. It been like this way for over a decade.

That was a bulk purchase, from a marketplace seller. That's NOT an 'authorized' seller, that's basically, AT BEST, grey market. At worst? They bought a used item.

Please don't just take everything at face value.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2322 posts
2836 upvotes
Ottawa
Kasakato wrote: Im really not sure why you believe you can change Seagate's policies. It been like this way for over a decade.

LoL. Yes and I've successfully used their warranty, and many others throughout my years. No way I or any one would believe it's from date of manufacture, it's absurd. I'd they tried it, they'd fail. Just like you're not failing so hard showing me a Reddit thread. You're misinformed, like the many you posted.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22705 posts
3696 upvotes
aidendanger wrote: LoL. Yes and I've successfully used their warranty, and many others throughout my years. No way I or any one would believe it's from date of manufacture, it's absurd. I'd they tried it, they'd fail. Just like you're not failing so hard showing me a Reddit thread. You're misinformed, like the many you posted.
Sure, show us the RMA that was out of warranty! Id be delighted to see an example.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2322 posts
2836 upvotes
Ottawa
Kasakato wrote: Sure, show us the RMA that was out of warranty! Id be delighted to see an example.
Nah. You made the unsupported claim. The burden is all on you dude. And you've choked. Everyone but you is in agreement.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22705 posts
3696 upvotes
MikeNet wrote: Guys just refer to this thread on RFD.
shoppers-drug-mart-seagate-expansion-de ... 1-2454575/

Actual RFD thread about Seagate, Shopper’s and warranty.
Good find, but the two guys below will declare this is fake news.
repatch wrote: There's ALOT of bad info out there.

So, let's step back, this is how it works:

Your warranty period is from date of purchase. If you can't PROVE date of purchase, it goes to from date of manufacture. LOTS of companies work that way, and it's actually an improvement over the 'no proof of purchase, no warranty' that most other companies do.

I'm 100% certain that some reps have claimed the second option is the only option, and I'm 100% certain many consumers have fallen for that BS. Don't accept it.

When dealing with warranties don't be 'nice'. Be firm as to what you are due, and don't let them dismiss you.
aidendanger wrote: Nah. You made the unsupported claim. The burden is all on you dude. And you've choked. Everyone but you is in agreement.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2322 posts
2836 upvotes
Ottawa
Kasakato wrote: Good find, but the two guys below will declare this is fake news.
Yes we absolutely would. Without a date of purchase, the serial number defaults to the date of manufacture. If you have a receipt with date of purchase it begins at that time. Show me evidence other than hearsay from forums. Actually, you had your chance and just make up stuff so....

Warranties are for eternity! Yep. I read it. On Reddit. So it's true. Face With Rolling Eyes