Shopping Discussion

Shoppers Drug Mart Seniors 20 % Thursday Discount ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2018 3:01 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
4045 posts
2378 upvotes

Shoppers Drug Mart Seniors 20 % Thursday Discount ?

Hi folks
MY parents are seniors but don't have a shopper drug mart optimum card. Thursday are seniors days. If I were to give them my card (not senior) would they still get the 20% senior discount or would they need their own sdm optimum card that verifies they are Seniors?
27 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11664 posts
8888 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
The Seniors Discount is input by the Cashier at their discretion (and NO they don't ask for proof). We've been getting the discount on and off for years, even before either of us got to their magic age of 55.

So ya your Parents could certainly use your card to rack up points for you Smiling Face With Open Mouth
(I suspect that is why you are asking)

That said, when one is actually a Senior it is worthwhile to have an Optimum Card of ones own, because under the new MY OPTIMUM Program they will get points offers customized to them and their needs.

Plus, Shoppers is very user friendly when it comes to transferring points to others.

In our house we each have cards, and compare the Weekly Ecoupon Offers we are sent (not usually identical) to decide who should buy what... Example, one spouse has a multiplier (15x) while the other does not.

In the end we can easily combine points if we want to get something in particular for a Reward, or take full advantage of a BONUS Redemption Weekend like the one just gone by.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
4045 posts
2378 upvotes
I just thought maybe a sdp optimum card when signING up asks your age, thus that card would be a senior card....
So I can send my senior parents in and buy a ps4 pro with discount and then use my card to get the sdm points correct ?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4119 posts
921 upvotes
Sask.
OP, just so you know, the senior discount is for regular priced items only.

*Discounts apply to our regular prices on all merchandise purchased by seniors and their accompanying family members with a valid Shoppers Optimum Card®. Discounts exclude sale items, prestige cosmetics, prestige fragrances, prescription purchases, products with codeine, insulin, non-pointable items, tobacco products (where applicable), newspapers, stamps, passport photos, lottery tickets, event tickets, transit tickets and passes, gift cards, prepaid phone cards, milk where discount is prohibited by law and any other items where regulations apply. Offer applies to photofinishing services that are picked up and paid for on the advertised date of the promotion. Discounts may not exceed $50. See cashier for details.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11664 posts
8888 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Agree with @natalka ...
natalka wrote: OP, just so you know, the senior discount is for regular priced items only.

*Discounts apply to our regular prices on all merchandise purchased by seniors and their accompanying family members with a valid Shoppers Optimum Card®. Discounts exclude sale items, prestige cosmetics, prestige fragrances, prescription purchases, products with codeine, insulin, non-pointable items, tobacco products (where applicable), newspapers, stamps, passport photos, lottery tickets, event tickets, transit tickets and passes, gift cards, prepaid phone cards, milk where discount is prohibited by law and any other items where regulations apply. Offer applies to photofinishing services that are picked up and paid for on the advertised date of the promotion. Discounts may not exceed $50. See cashier for details.
I went on their website & read the "fine print". Seems that one now is supposed to be 65 Years Old to qualify, and present their Shoppers Optimum Card.

Does say though that the discount is good for the Senior and anyone accompanying them.

https://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/opt ... iors-feb16
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6702 posts
3107 upvotes
Alberta
PointsHubby wrote: Agree with @natalka ...

I went on their website & read the "fine print". Seems that one now is supposed to be 65 Years Old to qualify, and present their Shoppers Optimum Card.

Does say though that the discount is good for the Senior and anyone accompanying them.

https://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/opt ... iors-feb16
I'm not anywhere near 65 and they always give me the seniors discount.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11664 posts
8888 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
jackrabbit000 wrote: I'm not anywhere near 65 and they always give me the seniors discount.
Ya that has been my experience too (see my first reply in this topic)

I was surprised to read in the "fine print" that the age now is 65 (suppose I should have been clearer on that aspect), as I thought it was still 55

As I said originally, in my experience, it is all at the Cashier's discretion, and they don't ask, as that potentially would be embarrassing all around (not to mention rude)

I find the younger the cashier the less likely are to have any clue how old a "middle aged" person might be, believe I first got the Sr Discount when I was ~45 (discount then was effective at age 55). I remember I was floored at the time, but then I shrugged it off, cause I saved some bucks Smiling Face With Open Mouth

After that it was sort of a game for me... Where I'd check my receipt to see if I was considered "old enough". Either way I figured it was a win-win, lol.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6702 posts
3107 upvotes
Alberta
I thought it was 55. Any idea when it was changed to 65 or was it always 65?
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
11664 posts
8888 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
jackrabbit000 wrote: I thought it was 55. Any idea when it was changed to 65 or was it always 65?
Did a GOOGLE and did not find a conclusive answer (including past topics here going back to 2010). It may have always been 65 "in the fine print" and some stores have been more generous to lower it. YMMV
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3252 posts
7614 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Per SDM's website (2nd SDM link doing a G00GLE search for: shoppers drug mart seniors age):
What are your senior discounts?

Senior's Day Specials

Shoppers Drug Mart hosts a Seniors Discount Day on the last Thursday of each month. Seniors receive a 20% discount off regularly priced items (some exclusions apply). To be eligible for the discount, a customer must be at least 65 years of age and present their personal Shoppers Optimum card.
Since the discount happens every Thursday and not the last Thursday of each month any longer, the rest of the information regarding the 65 years of age might also be inaccurate?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5578 posts
939 upvotes
Toronto
My parents have an optimum card. Otherwise they would receive mine paperclipped to my list for seniors day!
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
4603 posts
2181 upvotes
I just went to SDM and bought some medication and saw the 20% senior discount and I am not 55 yet ( a few more years). If it's cashier discretion than I must look a lot older than my age :(
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
16739 posts
3880 upvotes
Toronto
You need an optimum card to participate, that's all.
They likely won't care who's card you are using, though now, they can tell (or at least see a name of the owner)
RedFlagDeals addict
Jul 21, 2010
50 posts
2 upvotes
Newmarket
witenite wrote: I just thought maybe a sdp optimum card when signING up asks your age, thus that card would be a senior card....
So I can send my senior parents in and buy a ps4 pro with discount and then use my card to get the sdm points correct ?
Hi witenite,

Did you eventually get your PS4 or PS4 pro 20% senior off? Thx.
Diehard Macuser
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1189 posts
1075 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
m2pphkg wrote: Hi witenite,

Did you eventually get your PS4 or PS4 pro 20% senior off? Thx.
Personally, I have bought both a PS4 Pro and Nintendo Switch on seniors day. I brought my mom with me both times (she's 49 and looks 10 years younger than that lol) and used my optimum points card with zero problems. In addition, the cashier is supposed to manually override the discount so that it does not exceed $50, but this never seems to happen. I got $100 off the PS4 Pro and then was able to redeem $170 worth of optimum points to bring it down to $281.99 after tax. I also got the full $80 off the Switch, which I just bought on Thursday.

When you take into account seniors day and optimum points, Shoppers is the best place to buy regular priced consoles. And it's worth it to download the app: on seniors day I also had an offer for 18500 points on any purchase over $50, which I collected buying my Switch. Then the next day I had an offer for 20x the points on purchases over $25. A coworker had asked me to keep an eye out for another Switch so I called a few stores close to me and picked one up last night. So now my coworker owes me a favour and I have $200 worth of points in my account for my next big purchase.
Last edited by Ninja Robot Pirate on Jul 8th, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.