Expired Hot Deals

Shoppers Drug Mart

Shoppers Drug Mart flyer Round up QUEBEC

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2020 12:35 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 27, 2009
602 posts
6798 upvotes
Montreal

[Shoppers Drug Mart] Shoppers Drug Mart flyer Round up QUEBEC

Just like my Quebec grocery round up, I will share what I think is the most worthwhile items to look for. The main attraction of SDM is the bonus points/bonus redemption that makes ALL the difference. As such, is it acceptable to pay a slight premium in some cases. Here goes :

Page 1 :
Coke/Pepsi 710 ml 6pack 2/5$ At this level, its already a good price, add the 20x points, its a GREAT price.
Energizer MAX 20 AA 11.79$

Page 4 :
No name peanut butter 2.99$ Comparable Kraft brand is usually 3.77$ on sale for 1kg.
Coke/Pepsi 12 pack 4.29$ The 24pack is on sale usually for 7.49$ lately. With 20x points, its cheaper AND you can mix and match. To be fair, its about 4.79$ at MAXI and 2/9$ at PROVIGO/LOBLAWS.
No name facial tissue 126 2ply or 78 3ply .79$

Page 8 :
Burnbrae 12 Omega large eggs 2.49$ Decent price on its own, usually it is the regular eggs at +-2$ for 12 pack
Quaker Croque Nature cereal 2/5$ Cheaper at Costco for the GIANT box. However, you can mix and match the flavors which Costco does not carry. Very good cereal is it but they are awesome with yogurt and some fruits.

Page 9 :
Breyers ice cream 2.99$ Often on sale at this price, sometimes 2.49$.
President's choice condensed milk 1.99$
ACER laptop 15.6inch Ryzen 3 8gb/256gb Fair price before the 20x points. Item discussion can be found here : shoppers-drug-mart-499-99-acer-aspire-3 ... d-2388614/
SEGA genesis mini 59.99$ Has been cheaper on clearance at Walmart/The Source etc but again, the game changer is the 20x the points.
The last of us PS4 The game itself is questionable but the price+20x isnt :)

Page 12
Colgate Prevident 12.99$ Expensive toothpaste but those who need this, its a great deal. Usually 11.99$ at Jean-Coutu, 12.29$ on Amazon and 15.47$ at Walmart.

Page 16:
La Roche-Posay skincare 15% off. Good value skincare that, on regular price, comparable to other pharmacy prices but with 15% off and 20x points bonus its a good time to stock up. Furthermore, its usually only one of the line up that is on sale ( Cycaplast, Toleriane, Hydraphase etc). This time, the whole line up is on sale.

Page 19 :
Similac infant milk powder 39.99 Cheaper at Walmart before the points.

Summary : The strategy is to look for staples that are on par or slightly more expensive than other stores but knowing how much 20x the points is in total savings IS the key. However, the true gamechanger is to wait the BONUS REDEMPTION where you can get 50% extra in points value or the use xxxx points get xxxx points back that make SDM such an incredible place to shop. I usually wait for big ticket items that rarely go on sale such as the Nintendo Switch or potentially when the PS5/ XBOX gets released.

Enjoy.

Edit : fixed some typos.
Last edited by MTLGuru on Jul 11th, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Financial and Debt Advisor
18 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 19, 2013
2327 posts
1914 upvotes
Ottawa
good post, can you add how many points you get/$1 spent excluding the 20x :)

from the laptop post, looks like it's 1.5% back
Last edited by NoCountry4RFDer on Jul 11th, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jr. Member
Oct 27, 2009
164 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto, ON, Canada
While it is indeed tasty and can be found for reasonable prices, I find my weight goes up quickly whenever I add that Quaker cereal to my diet.

3 times in the past few years it's gone on sale for $1/box, so I'd buy like 10 and eat them over several weeks. It was only after the third time that I realised it must be that cereal, as my weight is generally stable, including when I eat other brands of cereal in similar amounts.
Deal Expert
Oct 30, 2006
15541 posts
5910 upvotes
No name peanut butter isn't comparable to Kraft IMO.
.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 27, 2009
602 posts
6798 upvotes
Montreal
Taste is subjective, but at almost half the price, why not? :D
Financial and Debt Advisor
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 17, 2007
3105 posts
634 upvotes
In bed.
Kraft All Natural peanut butter 750g and PC Blue Menu Just Peanuts 750g go on sale $1.99 ea or often $5/2. This is not only at Shoppers but also at other Loblaw banners.
Mok122cobra wrote:
Gotta love Crappy Tire and their $1600 set of "Artiste" pots and pans. Is this some kind of joke?
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/canadia ... #p30113679

😂
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 27, 2009
602 posts
6798 upvotes
Montreal
NoCountry4RFDer wrote: good post, can you add how many points you get/$1 spent excluding the 20x :)

from the laptop post, looks like it's 1.5% back
It is, you get 15 points per dollar ( 1.5% ) on almost every product. Therefore, 20x the points makes it about 30% "cashback". If you wait for those 200k points for 300$, it becomes roughly 45% "cashback". On spend xxx , get xxc points, you get another way to spend your points.

However, the formula is slightly more complex as taxes have to be taken into account.

I believe there has been a calculator on RFD to determine the true, effective cahback rate.
Financial and Debt Advisor
Newbie
Aug 18, 2018
51 posts
94 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
MTLGuru wrote: If you wait for those 200k points for 300$, it becomes roughly 45% "cashback".
How does it make 45%-50% "cashback"? If you earned 200k points - you've already accounted for it as ~30% "cashback". So from that point, I treat 200k points = 200$.
"200k points for 300$" makes it "spend 300$, get 100$ back", which makes it ~33% (and it is pretty similar to the "regular" 20x deal)
Is my math wrong?

And thanks for the flyer summary - I'd like to read these every Saturday (before going to SDM for 20x shopping)
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 27, 2009
602 posts
6798 upvotes
Montreal
mrstdn wrote: How does it make 45%-50% "cashback"? If you earned 200k points - you've already accounted for it as ~30% "cashback". So from that point, I treat 200k points = 200$.
"200k points for 300$" makes it "spend 300$, get 100$ back", which makes it ~33% (and it is pretty similar to the "regular" 20x deal)
Is my math wrong?

And thanks for the flyer summary - I'd like to read these every Saturday (before going to SDM for 20x shopping)
If you have already 200k points ( i'll assume you consistenly used 20x the points which is about 30% back. On regular days 200k points is worth 200$.

On use 200k get 300$ days, that is a 50% increase in points value therefore making your 30% cashback about 45% "cashback". (30*1.5= 45)

Cheers!
Financial and Debt Advisor
Member
Aug 21, 2011
204 posts
156 upvotes
Seeing the full sized Switch in their flyer for the first time in what I think is a while. Makes me wonder if it’s in stock more regularly now.

Last time I asked at a Shoppers they said they get a couple sent from corporate completely randomly, and only once every few weeks if that.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1889 posts
2665 upvotes
Halifax
mrstdn wrote: How does it make 45%-50% "cashback"? If you earned 200k points - you've already accounted for it as ~30% "cashback". So from that point, I treat 200k points = 200$.
"200k points for 300$" makes it "spend 300$, get 100$ back", which makes it ~33% (and it is pretty similar to the "regular" 20x deal)
Is my math wrong?

And thanks for the flyer summary - I'd like to read these every Saturday (before going to SDM for 20x shopping)
I think you are correct. the rest is just mental math and compartmentalization. We don't run around saying our $100 we have is actually worth $133 when we buy an item 25% off. It's still worth the same. You are just getting a discount. Although I know I am 'starting it' The easiest way, I think to value the deal is rather than work with percentages, and weird math, just look at how much you walk away with. Assuming you value points as dollars, Spending $300 on a 20x day nets you 90k in points (90$) so net is $210 for $300 in value. On a bonus redemption day spending $300 costs you $200 in points so $200 for $300. So bonus redemption is better by a small margin. The other obvious large advantage of bonus redemption is that you get a similar bonus (but better) than a regular 20x event AND you can lower your points balance leaving cash which is useable everywhere and not just at loblaws.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
10265 posts
19020 upvotes
Montreal
mrstdn wrote: How does it make 45%-50% "cashback"? If you earned 200k points - you've already accounted for it as ~30% "cashback". So from that point, I treat 200k points = 200$.
"200k points for 300$" makes it "spend 300$, get 100$ back", which makes it ~33% (and it is pretty similar to the "regular" 20x deal)
Is my math wrong?

And thanks for the flyer summary - I'd like to read these every Saturday (before going to SDM for 20x shopping)
Many Shoppers threads have turned into "Math Wars".
It all depends on your point of view.
Let's not do this with this nice thread in which OP has put a lot of efforts.
Agreed, 20 X the points = 30%.
Then during a bonus redemption event, if you redeem 200,000 points for $300 worth of stuff, there are two ways to look at it:
- you got a 50% bonus on your points;
- you got a 33% discount on what you got.

One could say, I got a 50% bonus on my 30% in points = 45%
Someone else might see it in another way if they look at it from the 33% discount on the stuff point of view.
But in the end, it's all the same.

The only weak point in your statement is that you never spend $300; you redeem 200,000 points which is worth $200.
You do realize that those are two separate events, and stack on each other, right?
It's not CHOOSE your event, you have to do BOTH eventually.
First, you earn points (30%) then you will HAVE to redeem your points in the future (for another up to 50% bonus).
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
10265 posts
19020 upvotes
Montreal
tdracer wrote: (...) Spending $300 on a 20x day nets you 90k in points (90$) so net is $210 for $300 in value. (...)
Not exactly,
If you spend $300, your net will be lower than $210 because you will have to redeem those 90k points in the future presumably for another up to 50% bonus.
So that 90k will yield you maybe $135 of "stuff" for a net of $210 - $45= $165.
Again, no Math Wars intended. :)
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1889 posts
2665 upvotes
Halifax
Temporel wrote: Not exactly,
If you spend $300, your net will be lower than $210 because you will have to redeem those 90k points in the future presumably for another up to 50% bonus.
So that 90k will yield you maybe $135 of "stuff" for a net of $210 - $45= $165.
Again, no Math Wars intended. :)
no. that's just double counting again. I won't argue beyond this. Ignore points and use cash. Imagine you go to store A. You go out with $300. In the first store, what you thought was going to cost $300 only cost $210. You have 90 left. Then you go to another store and buy something that you thought was 90$ but instead find it is on sale as well for $63 and you saved an additional $27. In the end you saved money no matter how you count it, but most people would say they saved 90$ at store 1 and saved $27 at store 2. Very few would say that there $210 was actually worth $390. Even fewer would save 90$ at store 1 and then say that really that $90 they saved is worth $117 because they know in the future they will buy something on sale with it.

It's not necessarily wrong to count it the way people do here. It's just weird. But as I agreed with poster above, the net benefit in actual dollar amounts between a regular 20x event and a bonus redemption event (assuming you consider points to be as valuable as dollars ) is $10 more for bonus redemption. Again, there are other advantages for both promos that go above and beyond the strict measurement of dollars.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 10, 2011
1001 posts
993 upvotes
St. Catharines
Please indicate WHICH SDM flyer you are using. Page 4 of the Niagara Region Ontarfio flyer has Pepsi & Coke 18packs for 5.28. No 12 packs.

Also Omega-3 eggs are Sat-Sun only for 2.49. Regular eggs are 2.69 all week. Brown eggs are 2.99 all week (if your store carries them - mine hasn't in the past.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some days I think that I am the only person who knows how to use Google.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 27, 2009
602 posts
6798 upvotes
Montreal
Agreed with the math wars and can complicated. It becomes even more complicated when we add tax (es). Its the reason i use 45% "cashback" because its not exactly that. However, i feel it is easier to track the viability of optimum points as a cashback rather than as a savings or discount rate.

One thing to remember is that 20x the points IS a great rewards program and if used correctly can yield very interesting results.

It does take a bit of work but you can definitely save a lot through SDM and saving money is the true spirit of RFD :D.

Cheers!
Financial and Debt Advisor
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 27, 2009
602 posts
6798 upvotes
Montreal
cpfan wrote: Please indicate WHICH SDM flyer you are using. Page 4 of the Niagara Region Ontarfio flyer has Pepsi & Coke 18packs for 5.28. No 12 packs.

Also Omega-3 eggs are Sat-Sun only for 2.49. Regular eggs are 2.69 all week. Brown eggs are 2.99 all week (if your store carries them - mine hasn't in the past.)
It literally is specified on the first sentence of the post :p but i'll edit the title.

Thank you!
Financial and Debt Advisor
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
10265 posts
19020 upvotes
Montreal
Shoppers have 4 different flyers with some items that differ in prices and availability:
- Atlantic;
- Québec (Pharmaprix);
- Ontario;
- West.

OP being from Montreal, obviously the Québec version is used.

Top