Expired Hot Deals

Shoppers Drug Mart

Sizzling ~ Seiki Smart Speaker $19.99 Reg. $99.99 (YMMV)

Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
7715 posts
12980 upvotes
Montreal
Temporel wrote: I would prefer an adapter to power it. The batteries inside will have to be replaced at some point. (...)
... and it's mine that is now dead! Time to try to replace the batteries. Anybody done that yet? Any tips about how to open it without too much damage to the neoprene casing? Or where you bought the replacement batteries?
Jr. Member
Sep 17, 2015
147 posts
482 upvotes
BC
Temporel wrote: ... and it's mine that is now dead! Time to try to replace the batteries. Anybody done that yet? Any tips about how to open it without too much damage to the neoprene casing? Or where you bought the replacement batteries?
Mine died recently as well and I decided to open it. I never take it outdoors so I don't really care about the IPX7.

I was able to pull the casing out with no tools, there are some dual-sided tape in a few places but that's it.

Upon further inspection, you find 8 screws facing front, removing them reveals the inside of the speaker.

The battery is inside a plastic case. It's a 2x 18650 battery pack, named 18650-2S1P 7.2v 2500mAh with a 3-pin connector.

Now, I never cared much about this speaker having a battery because I use it more as a permanent speaker. What I want to do is use a 7~8v 2A power supply and connect directly where the battery connects to, but I'm no electronics expert, I just think it's possible.

These batteries aren't cheap, so you might be paying $20-30 for a pack... not sure if worth it.

Images:
Image

Image

Image
Jr. Member
Sep 17, 2015
147 posts
482 upvotes
BC
Update:

I basically did the same that this guy did:


So I bought a female pigtail from primecables using the free shipping day they just had.
https://www.shopperplus.ca/p-358026-cab ... emale-plug

And then bought a variable voltage power adapter with multi tips:
https://www.amazon.ca/SoulBay-Universal ... B013UJAZY8

I cut the connector from the battery, joined it with the female pigtail and connected it to the power adapter at 7.5v... and it works! Now I need to solder it properly and drill a hole to pass the connector to the outside.

I know the adapter is more expensive than the speaker was back when we bought it, but I have other uses for it so it made sense to me.

Once it's all set I can/will upload more pics. :)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
7715 posts
12980 upvotes
Montreal
zeromux wrote: (...) I know the adapter is more expensive than the speaker was back when we bought it, but I have other uses for it so it made sense to me. (...)
Thanks for posting "zeromux". I haven't repaired mine yet. Were you able to just stretch out the neoprene casing back on afterward?

I think most people would agree that this speaker is nice enough that spending about $30 to get many more years (maybe decades) of enjoyment out of it is a smart move.

Any other Seiki's battery died lately? Anyone repaired? Experience? What parts did you buy? Where? TIA.
Jr. Member
Sep 17, 2015
147 posts
482 upvotes
BC
Temporel wrote: Thanks for posting "zeromux". I haven't repaired mine yet. Were you able to just stretch out the neoprene casing back on afterward?

I think most people would agree that this speaker is nice enough that spending about $30 to get many more years (maybe decades) of enjoyment out of it is a smart move.

Any other Seiki's battery died lately? Anyone repaired? Experience? What parts did you buy? Where? TIA.
Yes, the neoprene comes back on nicely, I didn't use a new dual-sided tape though, could have but I like the result.

Here are some pics:

Passed the pigtail through the drilled hole, soldered to the battery connector, connected to board...
Image

Applied some hot glue on the drilled hole so the cable stays in place.
Testing before closing
Image

Final result!
Image
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
7715 posts
12980 upvotes
Montreal
⬆ It looks as if it was never opened. I will try to do the same but I will probably omit the plug and solder a power supply directly.

I'm surprised that nobody reacts to these posts: everyone's unit died and was thrown in the garbage a long time ago?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
2735 posts
1115 upvotes
QC, Canada
Temporel wrote: ⬆ It looks as if it was never opened. I will try to do the same but I will probably omit the plug and solder a power supply directly.

I'm surprised that nobody reacts to these posts: everyone's unit died and was thrown in the garbage a long time ago?
Mine almost burned my 4000$ couch and burned my house down at the same time. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat

Top