Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Shoppers Drug Mart

YMMV - Sonos One Gen 2 $115 ($219 Original)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2021 6:06 pm
Feb 21, 2019
226 posts
420 upvotes
Vancouver
MikeyCanuck wrote: Youtube Music doesn't play nicely with the Sonos. I can't target my Sonos as a "cast" target like I can google speakers or chromecast. I used to be able to do so with Google Play music, but not since it switched to Youtube music. Sure I can link my streaming account to the Sonos account and select and play from the Sonos app, but now I'm managing my music in one app and playing it in another. Sonos also don't play nicely with integration into Google home and voice activation. It doesn't integrate playlists very well (at all). I can play music via voice commands directly on a Sonos One or targetting a Sonos:1 from a Google mini, but only by song or album, not by playlist. It DID work at one point, and then they broke it.
Thanks a lot for this information, I was very close to buying in to Sonos heavily. But may be reconsidering after reading this. Have you found a better option?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3158 posts
6406 upvotes
RonenS94555 wrote: How was the KEF??
Sounds good but the app is horrible. Gen 2 are supposed to have a better app, but seems like no plans to support the older LS50w and LSX.

I hardly listen to music because using the app or doing anything with these speakers just makes me mad.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1518 posts
703 upvotes
Victoria
Gadoosh wrote: Thanks a lot for this information, I was very close to buying in to Sonos heavily. But may be reconsidering after reading this. Have you found a better option?
They really do sound nice, though a bit pricey at regular price. I just really don't like having to use the Sonos app. If you aren't into the Google system it may not be that bad, as others have stated they have no issues with other streaming services. My wife and kids actually just listen on Nest Mini's (which really do sound crappy in comparison). However, I understand the Google Audio sound better, and for us, would probably a nice middle ground. They seem to go on sale for $89 often enough with another $10 coupon available usually depending on the retailer. My thought is to sell off my 3 Sonos and put Google Audio in all the rooms replacing mini's where it makes sense to do so given their size, and probably a wash in price. I've just been a bit lazy, but likely I'll pick up an Audio when it's next on sale and then compare the sound and see just how inferior it is to the Sonos. If it's close that's probably the route I'll go. If it's not close enough, I may keep the one or more of the Sonos for certain rooms and still get some Google Audios. Mostly I'm bitter because the integration with Google Play Music and voice control WAS better... too bad the companies can't play nice in the sandbox ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
kimwoobingsu wrote: Sounds good but the app is horrible. Gen 2 are supposed to have a better app, but seems like no plans to support the older LS50w and LSX.

I hardly listen to music because using the app or doing anything with these speakers just makes me mad.
The app is horrible, but it has nothing to do with the Sonos One hardware generation.

The app has two versions, S1 and S2. There is essentially no difference in functionality for most users. The S2 app replaced the S1 app, but Sonos didn't bother including support for some of their old hardware that can't be updated to S2-compatible firmware, so they keep the S1 app around. Once you allow them to update your speakers to S2-compatible firmware, you have to switch to the S2 app and you can't go back. That's an issue because the S2 app is incompatible with older versions of iOS and Android and Windows (they dropped support for Win7). Sonos is one of those annoying companies who are constantly trying to obsolete their older products and make you buy new stuff.

Their support is also horrible. For the last two months users have been complaining that Apple Music got de-authorized from their Sonos speakers and when they attempt to re-authorize on Android (S1 or S2 app), they just get a blank screen. You have to use a mobile phone because the S2 app won't let you add Apple Music on a tablet or computer. It took more than 2 months of many people reporting the problem to Sonos and getting the runaround before Sonos finally admitted they were having issues with Apple last week. Still not fixed.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13237 posts
12065 upvotes
Toronto
Fyi don’t bother if you use YT music, no way to play it without going through their crappy app. Doubt it’ll change since they have a beef with Google, ended up selling mine since I’m not on Spotify premium.
Jul 14, 2011
52 posts
40 upvotes
Bluetooth is not a comparable technology. I've been through every iteration and aside from the horrible range and flaky pairing, it does not scale.
I can't speak much on Sonos yet as I just recently entered the ecosystem, but what I do know is my 4xUnifi APs on 1Gbe backbones has me running with very low latency and excellent coverage.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2008
1178 posts
809 upvotes
Quebec
Should I just call to check stock?
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
Angultra wrote: Fyi don’t bother if you use YT music, no way to play it without going through their crappy app. Doubt it’ll change since they have a beef with Google, ended up selling mine since I’m not on Spotify premium.
Spotify Premium is $3 per month via RFD group buy. Pretty much a must for me because my car does well with it.
Jun 11, 2013
177 posts
126 upvotes
Ajax
Found 1 at whitby and Taunton, 226.55 after tax - 64700 in pts
Mar 15, 2007
621 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
Rob_EV wrote: Spotify Premium is $3 per month via RFD group buy.
Off topic, but where do I find the details for this group buy?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
1083 posts
1364 upvotes
Bradford
if you are trying to stream youtube, maybe try the app sonostube (iOS, Android).
Oct 26, 2003
148 posts
34 upvotes
Mississauga
I found one in Mississauga for $199, just need one more to complete the surround setup
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2449 posts
1639 upvotes
Montreal
bladerunner wrote: I found one in Mississauga for $199, just need one more to complete the surround setup
There's no more 20x points, so what's the point?
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Telus CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 25gb $25/month
Electrolux 527 Washer $300
Jul 22, 2009
464 posts
480 upvotes
Oakville
If only I could source two of these at the OP's price, would go nice with the Beam gen 2.