Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Coupons

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Shoppers Optimum Almost Free points (YMMV)

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2015 4:21 pm
[OP]
Member
Apr 7, 2006
225 posts
91 upvotes

Shoppers Optimum Almost Free points (YMMV)

Shoppers sent an offer for my Optimum card to earn 22,000 bonus points for purchasing $100 or more.

So, on my next visit to the store, I did the usual thing of buying a new gift card loaded with $100 to get the initial points
and then use it to buy the merchandise to get the bonus points. After purchasing the GC, the receipt showed that the
22,000 were put on my account for buying the GC.

Turns out to be that the bonus points were given for just buying the GC and I did not need to buy that much in merchandise.
Other than having to do this transaction on the day that the bonus is offered, it works out to be free points for buying the GC only.
27 replies
Jr. Member
Aug 29, 2010
142 posts
73 upvotes
Kitchener
Is this a targeted offer, coupon-based, or open to everyone?
Newbie
Nov 16, 2010
47 posts
13 upvotes
m1b wrote: Shoppers sent an offer for my Optimum card to earn 22,000 bonus points for purchasing $100 or more.

So, on my next visit to the store, I did the usual thing of buying a new gift card loaded with $100 to get the initial points
and then use it to buy the merchandise to get the bonus points. After purchasing the GC, the receipt showed that the
22,000 were put on my account for buying the GC.

Turns out to be that the bonus points were given for just buying the GC and I did not need to buy that much in merchandise.
Other than having to do this transaction on the day that the bonus is offered, it works out to be free points for buying the GC only.
I think you were lucky!

*Offer valid at participating Shoppers Drug Mart®/PharmaprixMD stores with presentation of Optimum Card at time of transaction. Offer expires after one use and cannot be used on subsequent transactions. Product availability may vary by store. We reserve the right to limit quantities and to revoke offer at any time. We are not obligated to award points based on errors or misprints. Offer valid on the purchase total of eligible products after discounts and redemptions and before taxes. Maximum 18,500 points per offer regardless of total dollar value of transaction. Excludes prescription purchases, medications in Quebec, non-pointable items, products that contain codeine, tobacco products, lottery tickets, passport photos, stamps, transit tickets and passes, gift cards & prepaid cards. No rainchecks. Not to be used in conjunction with any other Points promotions or offers.
Jr. Member
Aug 19, 2014
164 posts
159 upvotes
Ontario
m1b wrote: Shoppers sent an offer for my Optimum card to earn 22,000 bonus points for purchasing $100 or more.

So, on my next visit to the store, I did the usual thing of buying a new gift card loaded with $100 to get the initial points
and then use it to buy the merchandise to get the bonus points. After purchasing the GC, the receipt showed that the
22,000 were put on my account for buying the GC.

Turns out to be that the bonus points were given for just buying the GC and I did not need to buy that much in merchandise.
Other than having to do this transaction on the day that the bonus is offered, it works out to be free points for buying the GC only.
It happened to me as well.

I bought 500$ giftcard and I got 100000 points since it was 20 times personal offer.

But then I tried to use it for things which I bought with that card and I got regular points only.

However just to check I did it today as well and I got just my regular points only so that must be some glitch which we got benefit out of from :D .

I called the call center to verify and agen was telling that you can not double dip and any thing that you buy through gift card also won't give any bonus points. :(

I hope that is not true.

This is mine first or second post.

Pardon me if not upto the mark.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2796 posts
1258 upvotes
Burnaby
It's a bug that exists with the online loading system. Similarly I bought a $400 gift card got 20x the points (coupon from targeted offer), then used 95k point redemption + gift card to buy a PS4 and then got another 20x the points (same coupon from targeted offer as it did not go through to already redeemed) which got me enough points for another 95k redemption to which I redeemed again for games + controller. I decided to redeem both times on the same Saturday so that they wouldn't claw back the points :) later in the week.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 11, 2003
1537 posts
696 upvotes
m1b wrote: Shoppers sent an offer for my Optimum card to earn 22,000 bonus points for purchasing $100 or more.

So, on my next visit to the store, I did the usual thing of buying a new gift card loaded with $100 to get the initial points
and then use it to buy the merchandise to get the bonus points. After purchasing the GC, the receipt showed that the
22,000 were put on my account for buying the GC.

Turns out to be that the bonus points were given for just buying the GC and I did not need to buy that much in merchandise.
Other than having to do this transaction on the day that the bonus is offered, it works out to be free points for buying the GC only.
Just an FYI Shoppers knows about the glitch with the gift cards and will be taking the points back once they fix the problem.
Member
User avatar
Jul 23, 2014
232 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yay, shoppers will be the next store to shut down!
Jr. Member
Aug 19, 2014
164 posts
159 upvotes
Ontario
bigphil26 wrote: Just an FYI Shoppers knows about the glitch with the gift cards and will be taking the points back once they fix the problem.
Really?

May be that is the reason there was big update today morning.

I hope not though.
Member
Dec 31, 2009
257 posts
251 upvotes
Calgary
I've been using gift cards to buy gift cards for months now with the new program - earning optimum points with each transaction (22000 yesterday for >$100 spend with most of it a $100 gift card paid for with gift cards) - I guess if they take the points away I won't worry as much as I keep rotating my gift cards for each purchase (as opposed to using cash or credit). Probably best to do a bunch of redemptions so that my account is empty! :D
Member
Dec 31, 2009
257 posts
251 upvotes
Calgary
Meraweightloss wrote: It happened to me as well.

I bought 500$ giftcard and I got 100000 points since it was 20 times personal offer.

But then I tried to use it for things which I bought with that card and I got regular points only.

However just to check I did it today as well and I got just my regular points only so that must be some glitch which we got benefit out of from :D .

I called the call center to verify and agen was telling that you can not double dip and any thing that you buy through gift card also won't give any bonus points. :(

I hope that is not true.

This is mine first or second post.

Pardon me if not upto the mark.

If you use your gift cards today and spend over $50 you will get 20x the points on your purchase. It's just that you likely tried to use your giftcards on the same day you bought them on your personal offer 20x points and that coupon then expired (as it was "used" on the gift cards). Just wait until you get another personal offer and spend your gift card then and you will be able to double dip.
Member
Aug 16, 2006
257 posts
74 upvotes
Coquitlam
Anyone got this to work today with Saturday Jul 18, 20x for everyone?
Or does it only work with personalized coupons?
Don't care about post count, because I only do quality posts!
Jr. Member
Aug 19, 2014
164 posts
159 upvotes
Ontario
mountaingrl wrote: If you use your gift cards today and spend over $50 you will get 20x the points on your purchase. It's just that you likely tried to use your giftcards on the same day you bought them on your personal offer 20x points and that coupon then expired (as it was "used" on the gift cards). Just wait until you get another personal offer and spend your gift card then and you will be able to double dip.
I guess I need to have 20* personal offer then may be I can get that many points on my gift card purchase.

You were right and I learned that mistake that I used my perosnal offer to buy gift cards and then as offer was still in my online coupons i tried to use it again.

I failed miserably. :razz:

Any ways as long as we can use gift card to buy other stuff and get bonus points on it should be ok.

You said you were using gift cards to buy gift cards.

Was cashier ok with that? Because usually you can not buy gift cards with gift cards right?
Jr. Member
Aug 19, 2014
164 posts
159 upvotes
Ontario
bagelx wrote: Anyone got this to work today with Saturday Jul 18, 20x for everyone?
Or does it only work with personalized coupons?
It didnt work for me.

I got regular points only so I guess it is only for personal offers.
Member
Dec 31, 2009
257 posts
251 upvotes
Calgary
Meraweightloss wrote: I guess I need to have 20* personal offer then may be I can get that many points on my gift card purchase.

You were right and I learned that mistake that I used my perosnal offer to buy gift cards and then as offer was still in my online coupons i tried to use it again.

I failed miserably. :razz:



Any ways as long as we can use gift card to buy other stuff and get bonus points on it should be ok.

You said you were using gift cards to buy gift cards.

Was cashier ok with that? Because usually you can not buy gift cards with gift cards right?
Yeah they shouldn't be letting me buy gift cards with gift cards, but I find if I buy a few small things and add some gift cards they don't seem to notice when I pay with gift cards. Helps to look for the newer looking cashiers at your local store too!
Jr. Member
Aug 19, 2014
164 posts
159 upvotes
Ontario
mountaingrl wrote: Helps to look for the newer looking cashiers at your local store too!
May be the same trick I can use it for my Sobeys gift card redemption.

I can buy something and throw CT gift card when it comes on deal.

Let me try ;)
Member
User avatar
Jan 14, 2013
279 posts
273 upvotes
I am confused, am i able to use a personalized offer (in my case 18,500 pts on $100) AND the 20X pts? That would be sweet if so.
Newbie
Oct 31, 2012
22 posts
10 upvotes
BELLEVILLE
jasonandannmarie wrote: I am confused, am i able to use a personalized offer (in my case 18,500 pts on $100) AND the 20X pts? That would be sweet if so.
No...It will not work
Newbie
Oct 31, 2012
22 posts
10 upvotes
BELLEVILLE
This glitch has been going on for weeks. It only works with personalized offers. I'm surprised its taking them so long to fix it
Member
Dec 31, 2009
257 posts
251 upvotes
Calgary
jasonandannmarie wrote: I am confused, am i able to use a personalized offer (in my case 18,500 pts on $100) AND the 20X pts? That would be sweet if so.
You may. Last weekend you could use your personalized offers with the weekend bonus redemption, so people were redeeming for points and yet still getting their personalized offers if they crossed the threshold spend, for example I had spend 100 get 18500 points and I bought >$100, redeemed 50 000 points and yet still got 18500+ points back. But I haven't heard anything about today and whether people have been successful at using store promo today with personalized large point promos. But I bet you they fixed some stuff today in the system....

Top