• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2017 1:02 pm
[OP]
Nov 27, 2007
60 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto

Shoppers Optimum Program Expiring?

Haven't seen this discussed at all, but I was reading the SDM terms and conditions to see if my points will expire and came across this piece of information.

GENERAL INFORMATION

42. The Shoppers Optimum Program will terminate at 11:59 p.m. on December 31, 2016 (the “Termination Date”).

43. Shoppers Optimum Members will have until March 31, 2017 to redeem Shoppers Optimum Program rewards using Shoppers Optimum Points accumulated up to the Termination Date. Shoppers Optimum Points will expire at 11:59 p.m. on March 31, 2017 and will not be honoured after such expiration date.

44. Shoppers Drug Mart reserves the right to extend the Program beyond the Termination Date, or terminate the Program at any time prior to the Termination Date, by providing 30 days notice in Shoppers Drug Mart store flyers and notices posted in participating stores. If events beyond Shoppers Drug Mart’s control materially affect Shoppers Drug Mart’s ability to operate the Shoppers Optimum Program, the Program may be suspended or terminated without notice.

Any thoughts? Is this a date they keep changing or is it something related to the buyout I wonder.
Last edited by TomRFD on Sep 16th, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title edit
136 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7795 posts
865 upvotes
Eh, you mean 2017, you can no longer get points as of January 1 2017 but you can still redeem them up to the end of March.

Wonder why they're terminating the program, seems like really the only reason left to shop there anymore.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Nov 26, 2002
582 posts
52 upvotes
With Loblaw Inc now owning Shoppers, I'm sure they will eventually be offering PC Points in lieu of Optimum points.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
7897 posts
12363 upvotes
Scarborough
Wow I knew this might be coming but actually seeing it in writing is sad. Hopefully if/when they do switch to PC points, they still run points promos like they do now. I wonder when the T&C's were updated to that?
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7795 posts
865 upvotes
TomRFD wrote:
Sep 16th, 2013 10:17 am
Wow I knew this might be coming but actually seeing it in writing is sad. Hopefully if/when they do switch to PC points, they still run points promos like they do now. I wonder when the T&C's were updated to that?
I doubt it, T&T prices shot up quite a bit after they were bought by Loblaws, I don't see them carrying out the same Optimum points promos that Shoppers used to, which were quite good. Getting a $200 Oral B Sonic toothbrush set for free by stacking several points promos was pretty sweet but that was years ago and the points promos had been steadily getting less lucrative anyway.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Apr 26, 2004
545 posts
69 upvotes
Cambridge
I'm pretty certain that at least a couple of termination dates have come and gone over the years already for the optimum program and shoppers just keeps extending it. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7253 posts
1011 upvotes
Yes it has had different dates all along, with new a new one set when it arrives. Loblaws is hardly going to do anything to alienate members of the biggest loyalty program in Canada anytime soon,

What I do worry about is them changing the product mix. What used to be the photo/game/movie room very similar to SDMs selection at the local Loblaws stores is now their customer service counter. RFDers love that stuff at SDm since it ends up below cost with the points. They mustn't sell many digital cameras anymore, and there is no future with games anyway. Woudn't be surprised if that all goes in favour of some new product from Loblaws
Deal Expert
Jun 11, 2007
15692 posts
1681 upvotes
Maple Ridge
I like shopper's point. The 20X or 18500 points are the only reason I shop there.
Prize Won:
(2015-2016) Nothing big/Small...
(2014) Huawei Mini Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
http://my.cutetaffy.com
Jul 9, 2012
74 posts
8 upvotes
ACTON
When Zellers was still around and launched Club Z with the catalog the program always had an expiry date in the terms. It always just changed the date and extended.
Just a legal thing if they do decide to end it.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1976 upvotes
tabcola wrote:
Sep 16th, 2013 1:14 pm
When Zellers was still around and launched Club Z with the catalog the program always had an expiry date in the terms. It always just changed the date and extended.
Just a legal thing if they do decide to end it.
+1 This is just standard. They have to give sufficient notice to terminate the program and this gives them the flexibility to terminate the program if they want to but it does not mean the program has been terminated.

I worked in a government office and we used to have general lay off notices posted each year. Since they had to give so much notice for mass layoffs, they just always had us on layoff notice so they had the flexibility to do it whenever they wanted. So much for the myth of a secure government job.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2007
60 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
I agree that it makes sense to continuously update the page with new expiry dates, however, I've never seen it on that page before - and I do remember visiting that page a few times in the past.

It's an assumption that any loyalty program can end as it's a perk provided by the company. Maybe it's just the timing of my notice of this tidbit combined with the knowledge of the Loblaws takeover that made me raise an eyebrow.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1161 posts
205 upvotes
Canada
slimnet wrote:
Sep 16th, 2013 9:33 pm
I agree that it makes sense to continuously update the page with new expiry dates, however, I've never seen it on that page before - and I do remember visiting that page a few times in the past.

It's an assumption that any loyalty program can end as it's a perk provided by the company. Maybe it's just the timing of my notice of this tidbit combined with the knowledge of the Loblaws takeover that made me raise an eyebrow.
It's been like that for a LONG time ... I still have the paper copy of the T&C when I signed up and the program has supposedly ended in 2009!
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
Oh ok, happy to see that it's just procedural. I love Shopper's and I have no problem with the prices.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
[OP]
Nov 27, 2007
60 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Awesome - hard copy FTW then. Thanks for clearing it up.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel