Expired Hot Deals

[Shoppers Drug Mart] Seagate External Hard-drive 3TB $99.99 (July 9-10 only)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2016 11:51 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1402 posts
1266 upvotes
WESTMOUNT

[Shoppers Drug Mart] Seagate External Hard-drive 3TB $99.99 (July 9-10 only)

Shopper's/Pharmaprix has a Super Sale this Saturday and Sunday only. They have a Seagate 3TB external hard-drive for $99.99 (20 cents eco fee in Qc).

It looks like similar to this model: http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-dr ... -portable/

It has pretty good reviews on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansio ... ansion+3tb

Cheers!
52 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
4300 posts
411 upvotes
GTA
i had a 3TB seagate that stopped working after exactly 1 year and after reading online apparently it was a big issue with the 3 TB drives. Not sure if this is the model number but i wouldnt take a chance with that again, not even going anywhere near any other seagate just to be safe...
Jun 18, 2010
490 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
urir10 wrote: i had a 3TB seagate that stopped working after exactly 1 year and after reading online apparently it was a big issue with the 3 TB drives. Not sure if this is the model number but i wouldnt take a chance with that again, not even going anywhere near any other seagate just to be safe...
What would be a better option than Seagate drives?
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2656 posts
2411 upvotes
Whitby
Seagate. nuff said. don't put anything you care about or want to keep on it.
Oct 18, 2006
542 posts
62 upvotes
It looks more like the one in the amazon link than the Seagate one. I think this is the AC powered version, rather than the smaller USB powered one.
Aug 19, 2013
905 posts
839 upvotes
TORONTO
yeah i'd be suspicious of the 3TB desktop ones - seems to be very high failure rates (though the 3TB backup plus in the house seems to be still alive) Regardless, it heats up quite a bit

The other ones are fine though
Nov 21, 2012
155 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
lossless wrote: What would be a better option than Seagate drives?
Get a third party enclosure.

Does anyone know if the hard drive is removable?
Oct 30, 2011
25 posts
Toronto
Segate recently ( a few years ago) bought out Samsung's drive division. Now a large porportion of Segate drives are Sumsung in origin. Many years ago Samsung hard drives had a very bad reputation for reliability, and I suppose that has not changed to any significant degree. We are now hearing that Segate drives have a higher than average failure rate! Any surprise?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
2680 posts
1062 upvotes
QC, Canada
Never

Buy

Seagate

(Trust me, you will thank me later)
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1221 posts
700 upvotes
Scarborough
koontzy wrote: never

buy

seagate

(trust me, you will thank me later)
correct
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
717 upvotes
The drive inside is very likely the 5900rpm ones, thus the failure rate might not apply, but then neither will it be comparable to the 7200rpm drives that kept dying.
Oct 8, 2010
39 posts
21 upvotes
Kitchener
There is no perfect brand, and every hard drive has a chance of failing. If something is very important (pictures, documents, etc), keep multiple copies on different brands' hard drives. IE, don't buy two of these seagates as they may fail at the same time (same applies to WD). Also, some people say, RAID is also not the best way to keep a backup. If you only have one copy, then it must be replaceable (mp3's, movies, OS, etc).
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2355 posts
718 upvotes
New Brunswick
My Seagate failed but it was replaced.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8569 posts
3343 upvotes
Toronto
If you're only backing up your files on one computer then you have no idea on how to back up files anyways.

To actually back up files you need to back it up 3 times in separate forms in different areas if the files you're keeping are of any value to you.

External hard drives are hit and miss from any brand, pointless anecdotes will sway one way or the other but no brand is 100%.
Jul 6, 2016
13 posts
urir10 wrote: i had a 3TB seagate that stopped working after exactly 1 year and after reading online apparently it was a big issue with the 3 TB drives. Not sure if this is the model number but i wouldnt take a chance with that again, not even going anywhere near any other seagate just to be safe...
There was one very specific 3TB model they had that had really high failure rates (11% IIRC). There's currently a class action lawsuit against them over this model, so you might want to sign onto that and get some if your money back when it concludes.

That said, the model that had this problem was pulled from the market about a year ago and it's unlikely that this drive will have the same problem as Seagate drives are among the most reliable overall.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1402 posts
1266 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
Variability wrote: If you're only backing up your files on one computer then you have no idea on how to back up files anyways.

To actually back up files you need to back it up 3 times in separate forms in different areas if the files you're keeping are of any value to you.

External hard drives are hit and miss from any brand, pointless anecdotes will sway one way or the other but no brand is 100%.
Reading this thread, one would get the idea that no one is taking advantage of the different clouds available to them.

I have 3 clouds on the go. If a hard-drive crashes, it's a pain but the files are backed up on one of the three clouds.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
1814 posts
1826 upvotes
Toronto, ON
herrdude wrote: Reading this thread, one would get the idea that no one is taking advantage of the different clouds available to them.

I have 3 clouds on the go. If a hard-drive crashes, it's a pain but the files are backed up on one of the three clouds.
what clouds are you using? tia