Wheels and Tires

Shopping for all season tires help (2015 Honda Accord - 215/55R17)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2019 1:17 pm
[OP]
Nov 3, 2014
71 posts
20 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON

Shopping for all season tires help (2015 Honda Accord - 215/55R17)

My local Costco quoted me $940 total (tax/installation included) for a set of Michelin Defenders. I have used Michelin X-Ice for many winters and they have done a very good job, but I was wondering if anyone knows of some good tire shops I should also look into that may have a better deal for all seasons. Make of the tire doesn't really matter as long as it is reliable.

Any insight/opinion is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
8 replies
Oct 3, 2017
648 posts
482 upvotes
Personally I find high mileage treadwear tires like Michelin Defender ride hard as rocks and I can't stand the ride.
On the other hand if you are doing super high mileage every year maybe the high mileage wear would be important. I also find high mileage tires offer less wet weather capability and braking compared to lower mileage tires. I'm referring to decent brands for lower mileage. Most are sporty but perfect for regular cars.

Good lower mileage tires have made my ride feel like I had the suspension upgraded and ride a lot softer compared to Defender type tires.

As to price Costco has the best after sales service in terms of warranty and early wear out issues.
Oct 3, 2017
648 posts
482 upvotes
Personally I find high mileage treadwear tires like Michelin Defender ride hard as rocks and I can't stand the ride.
On the other hand if you are doing super high mileage every year maybe the high mileage wear would be important. I also find high mileage tires offer less wet weather capability and braking compared to lower mileage tires. I'm referring to decent brands for lower mileage. Most are sporty but perfect for regular cars.

Good lower mileage tires have made my ride feel like I had the suspension upgraded and ride a lot softer compared to Defender type tires.

As to price Costco has the best after sales service in terms of warranty and early wear out issues.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2014
71 posts
20 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I drive close to 30000km a year on average so I am definitely looking for more of the high mileage treadwear type of tires. I do agree that during the first year of driving with them the ride is very firm.

The Costco tire center I went to had very limited choice, but will more than likely give me some peace of mind with their warranty and other policies if I purchase and have them installed from them. Reading your post has definitely made the lower mileage tires sound pretty good though lol So I will do some inquring on those as well. Thanks, George613.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3752 posts
3847 upvotes
GTA
I've had Defender T+H on my car for a year now and they're perfectly comfortable.

But I think the opposite is true: as tire performance increases, ride quality decreases.

OP, check out the Simply Tire website for more tire options and prices.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2014
71 posts
20 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I completely forgot about Simply Tire. Thank you, derass. Nice to read the Defenders are treating you well.
Oct 5, 2017
437 posts
143 upvotes
Just bought Pirellis P7 at Costo, really liked the upgrade in road comfort and noise. I only used motomaster tires before. $770-80 gift card. Check out https://tires.costco.ca, they have the same price as the warehouse.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1047 posts
480 upvotes
Toronto
Chandlerparsons wrote: Just bought Pirellis P7 at Costo, really liked the upgrade in road comfort and noise. I only used motomaster tires before. $770-80 gift card. Check out https://tires.costco.ca, they have the same price as the warehouse.
+1 for the Pirelli P7 A/S. Great improvement over our OEM tires
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5428 posts
1839 upvotes
GTEH!
ThomasHunter wrote: My local Costco quoted me $940 total (tax/installation included) for a set of Michelin Defenders. I have used Michelin X-Ice for many winters and they have done a very good job, but I was wondering if anyone knows of some good tire shops I should also look into that may have a better deal for all seasons. Make of the tire doesn't really matter as long as it is reliable.

Any insight/opinion is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Not familiar with shops near your location, Stoney Creek. Try Tires23 in Mississauga? if it's not too far for you.
😎