None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto

Shopping at AMAZON.COM.... QUICK QUESTIONS

So looking to buy a stroller and have it shipped to a USA address in Buffalo NY and wondering how tax is calculated? Once I added my CC info the toral shows these prices...

Order Summary
Items: $399.99
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Total Before Tax: $399.99
Estimated Tax To Be Collected:* $0.00
Order Total: $399.99

Does it mean there is no tax even though Im getting shipped to NY, or will I be charged later on? The reason I ask is because if there isnt any tax then it's worth for me to get the stroller now and save about $30...but buy adding tax I can get the same stroller for the $30 more whenever I want to.

Also are there any amazon.com coupons available?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
212 upvotes
Surrey
mmhassa2 wrote: So looking to buy a stroller and have it shipped to a USA address in Buffalo NY and wondering how tax is calculated? Once I added my CC info the toral shows these prices...

Order Summary
Items: $399.99
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Total Before Tax: $399.99
Estimated Tax To Be Collected:* $0.00
Order Total: $399.99

Does it mean there is no tax even though Im getting shipped to NY, or will I be charged later on? The reason I ask is because if there isnt any tax then it's worth for me to get the stroller now and save about $30...but buy adding tax I can get the same stroller for the $30 more whenever I want to.

Also are there any amazon.com coupons available?
Most online retailers add tax later. You will receive full information in the detailed Email which arrives once the order has been processed. As far as tax savings go, if you're having it shipped to a NY address with the intent of bringing it into Canada, you will still be liable for taxes (GST and/or PST or HST) and potentially duties when you import it into Canada.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
80 upvotes
Just purchased my 2nd large TV from Amazon.com and having shipped to NY, same as last time.

My breakdown is;

TV: $1,099.00
Shipping: $0
Tax: $0

So, based on my previous experience, I'll be paying HST on $1,099 and you on $399.99

I've placed MANY orders w/ Amazon this way, and while they do tack on 7% tax for orders shipped to NY, they often do not charge taxes if the item is sold via a 3rd parties :lol:

If I'm buying larger $ items, I always look for an Amazon reseller. My last TV came from One Call, the current order is with Paul's TV ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
apn64 wrote: Just purchased my 2nd large TV from Amazon.com and having shipped to NY, same as last time.

My breakdown is;

So, based on my previous experience, I'll be paying HST on $1,099 and you on $399.99

I've placed MANY orders w/ Amazon this way, and while they do tack on 7% tax for orders shipped to NY, they often do not charge taxes if the item is sold via a 3rd parties :lol:

If I'm buying larger $ items, I always look for an Amazon reseller. My last TV came from One Call, the current order is with Paul's TV ;)
Thanks just placed the order after speaking to amazon.com rep and looks like no tax were added...wohooo!!! I know I have to pay taxes when I bring into Canada but that's no different than buying it here. Just got the Baby Jogger 2011 City Mini Double Stroller in STONE for $399. It's selling for $430 + tax everywhere in the states and $430 plus no tax in ebay. So a $30 saving made buying through amazon sense. Oh it's selling for $499 here in Canada.
Nov 22, 2007
146 posts
10 upvotes
Alberta
apn64 wrote: Just purchased my 2nd large TV from Amazon.com and having shipped to NY, same as last time.

My breakdown is;

I am considering buying a tv off amazon.com and am wondering if you heard of CBI USA? If i buy off amazon i can use CBI as my sipping address and then pick it up at the warehouse at the border.. this is all new to me so i am a little cautious.. any input you might have would be great....
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
80 upvotes
SaleHunter wrote: I am considering buying a tv off amazon.com and am wondering if you heard of CBI USA? If i buy off amazon i can use CBI as my sipping address and then pick it up at the warehouse at the border.. this is all new to me so i am a little cautious.. any input you might have would be great....

Yes, I do exactly that (but use a UPS store), this is my 2nd TV purchase from Amazon. Lot's of people in the GTA and Golden Horseshoe area use CBI, and there are many positive posts on this forum regarding them, USAaddress and other services.

Process is simple: purchase from the retailer and ship to the US address service. My service calls when a large package arrives, so drive over, pay a small fee to collect, return to Canuckland, declare to the tax thieves, pay HST on converted CAD$ value and drive home :)

BTW, since the discussion was specifically about taxes, I forgot to mention to OP that duty MAY be applied to products originating outside the NAFTA agreement. My TV's were made in Mexico, so duty-free :razz: , however, I've heard of very few cases where duty was actually collected.