Wheels and Tires

Shopping around for good quality Alloy Rims(Wheels) for my Toyota Corolla 2016 LE ?

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2020 1:34 am
[OP]
Aug 3, 2018
2 posts

Shopping around for good quality Alloy Rims(Wheels) for my Toyota Corolla 2016 LE ?

I'm really naive about automotive deals and cars so please forgive if I sound silly.

I have a Toyota Corolla 2016 LE with OEM Alloy Rims(Wheels).

At the beginning of Winter, I put my winter tires on the OEM Alloy Rims.

Since winter is over, and spring is starting, I wanted to put by all seasons back.

However, I know it's better to do keep my winter tires mounted on it's own dedicated rims, and when spring comes around, just substitute the all-season/summer tires mounted on it's own dedicated rims.

Therfore, for my all-season/sumner tires, I want to shop around for Alloy Rims(Wheels) with the following specs:

-hub-centric
-16 inch
-preferably has TUV certificate (Germany), or a Japanese or Australian equivalent certificate
-(Casting: spun-rim form casting and high light technology casting OR Just Forged wheels )
.......please feel free to suggest if I'm missing anything else from my specs.....

However, I was also thinking if I should just remount my all-season/sumner tires on the OEM Alloy Rims that I already have, and then just shop around for a new dedicated set of Rims for my winter tires. Is this better?

In any case, could someone please suggest some good sites that sell good quality Alloy Rims(Wheels) for my Toyota Corolla 2016 LE ?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1090 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
Easiest would be getting another set of OEM wheels from a used tire shop/junkyard. It's a Corolla so it should be pretty easy to find.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3834 posts
3928 upvotes
GTA
Quality aftermarket wheels are going to be expensive, flashy, and a target for theft.

Another option for quality wheels would be new stock set from the dealer, or a used stock set from the junkyard.
Dec 1, 2009
211 posts
149 upvotes
Put your winter tires on steel wheels?
[OP]
Aug 3, 2018
2 posts
liplip wrote: Put your winter tires on steel wheels?
The other main disadvantage is that steel wheels weigh more than alloy ones. This excess weight can potentially decrease a vehicle’s center of gravity and put more wear on the suspension. It can also negatively impact a car’s fuel economy and cause handling and acceleration issues. It’s important to note, however, that this excess weight from steel wheels can come in handy during the winter months when it can work to better stabilize a vehicle in snowy or icy conditions. For this reason, many drivers opt to swap out their alloy wheels for steel wheels during the winter season. Steel wheels may be an ideal year-round choice for vehicles that regularly off-road and heavy-duty work trucks.

A final drawback to steel wheels is that they’re not applicable for all vehicles. Most are only available in 16-inch rims and they’re not intended to be installed on vehicles that were designed to operate with alloy ones.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15640 posts
4716 upvotes
London
bartmac123 wrote: The other main disadvantage is that steel wheels weigh more than alloy ones. ... and they’re not intended to be installed on vehicles that were designed to operate with alloy ones.
The guy who thinks he needs forged alloy rims for winter use is lecturing people on the evils of steel rims?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5512 posts
1916 upvotes
GTEH!
liplip wrote: Put your winter tires on steel wheels?
I suggest this also. Black steel wheels will probably be cheaper than another set of alloy rims.
And put back your A/S tires on your original rims.
😎
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4744 posts
554 upvotes
Burlington
LE means high performance summer tires.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3834 posts
3928 upvotes
GTA
bartmac123 wrote: The other main disadvantage is that steel wheels weigh more than alloy ones. This excess weight can potentially decrease a vehicle’s center of gravity and put more wear on the suspension. It can also negatively impact a car’s fuel economy and cause handling and acceleration issues. It’s important to note, however, that this excess weight from steel wheels can come in handy during the winter months when it can work to better stabilize a vehicle in snowy or icy conditions. For this reason, many drivers opt to swap out their alloy wheels for steel wheels during the winter season. Steel wheels may be an ideal year-round choice for vehicles that regularly off-road and heavy-duty work trucks.

A final drawback to steel wheels is that they’re not applicable for all vehicles. Most are only available in 16-inch rims and they’re not intended to be installed on vehicles that were designed to operate with alloy ones.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Especially from some no-name alloy wheel brand trying to peddle their product.

https://hpdwheels.com/blogs/news/alloy- ... ns-of-each