Automotive

Shopping for car insurance - Kanetix, Belair, ...

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2015 11:10 am
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3487 posts
3895 upvotes
Montreal

Shopping for car insurance - Kanetix, Belair, ...

I tried to price some car insurance with Kanetix today, but the spread between the lowest and highest quotes is almost 3x. I was wondering, for those who've used the site, do you call each company to get the details of each policy? Are there major feature variations between policies?

Also, I wonder about how easy it is to collect if ever you get a claim. Are some companies known to be particularly aggressive in denying or limiting coverage when you make a claim? Are others well regarded as being fair and honest?

I'm currently with Belair, and their prices are middle of the pack but I'm quite satisfied with all the features they include.

Any thoughts?
29 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1982 posts
659 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
I only called the lowest bidder which was Belair for me at the time. Don't waste your time calling those quoting higher
Aug 16, 2011
841 posts
253 upvotes
Kitchener
i found kanetix to have crappy rates, i just picked some companies and called for exact quotes
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
I'm glad I found kanetix, because I got a rate better than I ever had with the likes of TDMM and Belair.
But, I still get yearly quotes before renewal, to ensure the current company is still more competitive.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5897 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
Had no luck with Kanetix. Heard about Desjardin and decided to call them. they gave me a price that I couldn't refuse. After about 24 hours later and about 40 years with State Farm, I said goodbye without batting a eye!!! Quote was about 1/2 of what state farm was charging. I know Desjardin bought statefarm but there is no way state farm will be using Desjardin's rates...
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
2294 posts
721 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Used kanetix and was called by cooperators group insurance who saved me about $50 a month.

Very unlikely you'll have variations in policy, it's usually just your deductible, animal and glass that I found to vary.

Can anyone tell me why they'd go for a $2m policy when it is virtually unheard of to see anyone even get close to $1m in damages? Isn't the SCC trilogy damage cap at like $800k or something (case law) ?
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3487 posts
3895 upvotes
Montreal
jmatheson64 wrote: Can anyone tell me why they'd go for a $2m policy when it is virtually unheard of to see anyone even get close to $1m in damages? Isn't the SCC trilogy damage cap at like $800k or something (case law) ?
Because it's very cheap to go from $1M to $2M, and the damage cap is only for "non-pecuniary damages" (pain and suffering, etc.). There's always a chance you'll hit a trailer full of Ferraris, or run off the road and crash into a house and damage their Picasso, or hit a firehydrant and flood some neighborhood and shut down a bunch of businesses, etc. In those cases, you're fully on the hook for millions.

And if the judgement is for $1.02M, then that $20,000 comes out of your pocket unless you're insured for $2M. So I pay peanuts every year to prevent that.

Not to mention that if I drive to Ontario or the USA I won't be protected by Quebec's "no fault" system and then damages can really go wild.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone with intact?

Tdmm raised my rates after my first year, my lowest rate is with intact now, but all the reviews online are pretty bad for claims.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
my broker saved me 1000's and im a new driver 4 years ago i get insured a 2003 buick rendezvous for 1000 a year and a 2008 dodge grand caravan for 1400 a year
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
intact is one of the companies I have in my office, haven't heard of any issues with them and claims issues...
have you checked out the http://www.intact.ca/my-driving-discount seems to be getting quite popular lately..
BeaverLiquor wrote: Anyone with intact?

Tdmm raised my rates after my first year, my lowest rate is with intact now, but all the reviews online are pretty bad for claims.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
COSMIC5 wrote: intact is one of the companies I have in my office, haven't heard of any issues with them and claims issues...
have you checked out the http://www.intact.ca/my-driving-discount seems to be getting quite popular lately..
I know that usually only the negative reviews are the ones that get posted online but there are too many bad ones to my liking and under the BBB they get rated an f.

And I'm going to opt out of a tracker for as long as I can.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
sassysue wrote: my broker saved me 1000's and im a new driver 4 years ago i get insured a 2003 buick rendezvous for 1000 a year and a 2008 dodge grand caravan for 1400 a year
perhaps you'd like to recommend your broker then??
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
SomeOtherDude wrote: perhaps you'd like to recommend your broker then??
hes in kitcherner sunset insurance group INC it used to be called becker insurance speak to gene becker and said Richard sent you
519-747-3261

hes a broker and will get u the cheapest rate all communication is done by email or phone
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
sassysue wrote: hes in kitcherner sunset insurance group INC it used to be called becker insurance speak to gene becker and said Richard sent you
519-747-3261

hes a broker and will get u the cheapest rate all communication is done by email or phone
Thank you :)
Does he serve toronto area too then?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
SomeOtherDude wrote: Thank you :)
Does he serve toronto area too then?
he should all i give him is a cheque and all they do is withdraw the funds thats it been with him for 3 years and no hassles

before i always had to go in to this other broker and wait forever, convenience is a key for me running a business and have a family i hate sitting there like a dead fish...
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
429 upvotes
COSMIC5 wrote: intact is one of the companies I have in my office, haven't heard of any issues with them and claims issues...
Are they in anyway aligned with belair? I only ask because I was in a bad crash 2 years ago and belair has been taking good care of me, I do get transferred to a lot of different reps and the newest ones email is intact instead of belair.
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Dec 2, 2006
252 posts
31 upvotes
GTA West
If you qualify for group insurance, I'd try The Personal. My car insurance went down a reasonable amount (previously with Aviva through PCinsurance), but when I was quoted for my motorcycle, I had to ask the rep if it was for the whole year. I was happily surprised.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
Broker all the way. Was with Bel-Air for years after finding it the lowest on Kanetix but after two years with rate increases with no accidents/claims I was fed up. I called them and was basically told to suck it up as everyone was getting an increase. Work offered a group insurance plan through a broker. Called the broker and saved $1000 on car insurance (2 vehicles, a 2006 Hyundai Sonata and a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee) and $450 on my house insurance. The broker found me the best deal and it was with Avivia. What I didn't know was what I was missing! Bel-Air was cut to the bone service (Expected) but my new policies are unbelievable! $200,000 Sewer backup protection vs $10,000. Deductible cut in half for accident claims as well as having disappearing deductible. Accident forgiveness, Conviction Protection, New Car Guarantee for my new Jeep, Unlimited rental allowance if my vehicle is in the shop; I believe Bel Air capped it pretty low (Think Kia rental to replace my Jeep?!?) And what i Just found out about was 24/7 unlimited access to legal advice if needed, home repair / renovation consultation and if you use their contractor they insure the work is completed to contract standard or they will pay to fix it. Identity Theft coverage for $100,000 vs $5,000 on Bel Air.

Im not saying to run out and get Avivia but you should check with a broker. I couldn't be happier with my new policy and I just get the feeling that Bel Air was nickel and dime their customers...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
awesome!
Aviva is an excellent company, I used to have them in my office...never had an issue
kr0zet wrote: Broker all the way. Was with Bel-Air for years after finding it the lowest on Kanetix but after two years with rate increases with no accidents/claims I was fed up. I called them and was basically told to suck it up as everyone was getting an increase. Work offered a group insurance plan through a broker. Called the broker and saved $1000 on car insurance (2 vehicles, a 2006 Hyundai Sonata and a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee) and $450 on my house insurance. The broker found me the best deal and it was with Avivia. What I didn't know was what I was missing! Bel-Air was cut to the bone service (Expected) but my new policies are unbelievable! $200,000 Sewer backup protection vs $10,000. Deductible cut in half for accident claims as well as having disappearing deductible. Accident forgiveness, Conviction Protection, New Car Guarantee for my new Jeep, Unlimited rental allowance if my vehicle is in the shop; I believe Bel Air capped it pretty low (Think Kia rental to replace my Jeep?!?) And what i Just found out about was 24/7 unlimited access to legal advice if needed, home repair / renovation consultation and if you use their contractor they insure the work is completed to contract standard or they will pay to fix it. Identity Theft coverage for $100,000 vs $5,000 on Bel Air.

Im not saying to run out and get Avivia but you should check with a broker. I couldn't be happier with my new policy and I just get the feeling that Bel Air was nickel and dime their customers...
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)