Shopping Discussion

Shopping carts in parking lots - why don't people return them where they belong?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2012 11:22 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9799 posts
1279 upvotes
GTA

Shopping carts in parking lots - why don't people return them where they belong?

I am finding it to be bigger problem every year where people don't return their carts and decide to leave them in the middle of the parking lot. I was just at a Superstore today and this one guy started walking towards the cart area and I noticed that he started walking back WAY too quickly to have reached the cart area. I walked back towards the cart area and the guy left his cart in the parking spot in front of my car. I returned it to the cart area and by the time I got back he was in his truck already but raised my voice enough that he lowered his window and I told him not to be so lazy next time, I don't want my car damaged. He rolled up his window and drove off (wasn't eye to eye contact). He was even sneaky about it, trying to go in an area where people couldn't see him. It was like 20 feet to a safe area to leave the carts.

And then when I walked into the store I saw another guy do the same thing but basically just leave it in an empty spot 2 cars over. I yelled over at him "hey, don't be so lazy, put it away" and he just got in his car and drove off (he heard me, he looked right over at me)...

Anyway, I am in a small enough town that I don't think I will get shot and I am sure some of you will say "mind your own business" but it is my business if my car can get damaged by these lazy people leaving their carts wherever they want. It isn't even like Costco where there aren't a ton of cart areas, this was a Superstore and in both cases there was a cart area less than 20 feet away. There were probably another 10-15 carts in the parking lot and I purposely picked my parking spot because it was away from a bunch of carts.

Do you ever confront people? If it is an old lady I will offer to return her cart (saw a lady that was like 50, and, I was nice to her even) but some of these people have huge carts full of stuff (i.e. they have been walking around the grocery store) but they can't walk another 1 minute to return their cart.

I kind of wish they would adopt the cart deposit system at more grocery stores.
112 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9707 posts
1655 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Cause people are lazy @sses. I've once seen a lady go across the street with a shopping cart and leave it at the bus stop.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18951 posts
2656 upvotes
Woodbridge
I try to mind my own business but when you leave it near my car than we will have a problem.

Simple, laziness. I hate when Companies like Costco ONLY puts own signs to return carts because it's windy.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
513 upvotes
GVR
It just comes down to people being lazy and inconsiderate. Can't say I've seen people leave their carts in a spot where they're likely to damage someone's car though, they're usually somewhere next to the curb where they won't roll anywhere.
navyseals wrote: It's because we live in Canada. This is how Canadians are raised.
Really has nothing to do with that. I've seen just about every race, ethnicity, and nationality leave their carts in the nearest empty spot.
May 11, 2011
343 posts
340 upvotes
Vancouver
Please learn to be tolerant. Some people have injuries that you cannot see. They can walk OK with the cart for support but cannot walk properly without it - even the distance to return the cart. Just be thankful that you can.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2389 posts
686 upvotes
Woodbridge
Walmart seems to be the worst with carts everywhere in the parking lot. Absolutely pisses me since there is nowhere to park without a cart being right there.

Haven't caught anyone but would definitely say something if I did.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6366 posts
245 upvotes
navyseals wrote: It's because we live in Canada. This is how Canadians are raised.
Oh give me a break!! I'm Canadian and it's not how I was raised. It's getting increasing annoying how so many feel it's okay to bash Canadians, while living in Canada and enjoying this wonderful country yet say one word about an immigrant and all bets are off. Not suggesting it's okay to slam anyone but for crying out loud, grow a brain and stop making such sweeping generalizations.

Many people are just too darn lazy to put the cart away. It's some distorted sense of entitlement. I have seen people leave the cart two spots away from the corral. The epitomy of laziness for sure. I've had my car scratched by carts left by lazya$$ jerks and it's infuriating but as long as there are lazy jerks in the world, this will continue.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6366 posts
245 upvotes
Chloey wrote: Please learn to be tolerant. Some people have injuries that you cannot see. They can walk OK with the cart for support but cannot walk properly without it - even the distance to return the cart. Just be thankful that you can.
I mean no disrespect but it's time to take off the rose coloured glasses.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
12906 posts
160239 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

My car already got dents all over from shopping carts (my bummer have a huge crack, too). The piss thing is people leave shopping carts all the way on the other side of the parking lot, so I have to bring that in. It's not about lazy, people are generally don't give a crap about others and don't think anything but themselves. Why do you think retail workers get pissed off at these kind people and we still get the crap for it...

Ju Leon...
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23860 posts
19670 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
YLSF wrote: why don't people return them where they belong?
Life is full of unanswerable questions, e.g.
Why do people park in more than one space?
Why do able-bodied people park in spaces designated for disabled?
Why do people empty their ashtrays in public parking lots?
Why do people double-park?
Why do people park on fire lanes?
Why do people leave their cars idling for many minutes at a time?
Why do people make turns or lane changes without signalling?
Why do people curse at you or give you the finger when you bring any of the above to their attention?
Why oh why do other people worry about stuff and morons they can't change?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
163 upvotes
If I return the cart properly, what will the cart boy do?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8434 posts
2375 upvotes
Mississauga
I like when people do this and I am nearby. I walk over as they enter their car and place it behind or infront of them respectively so they cannot leave the spot. If/when they get out and become confrontational, I point out they forgot to return it, and it could damage someones car - hey, it almost damaged theirs!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6366 posts
245 upvotes
Avenger wrote: I like when people do this and I am nearby. I walk over as they enter their car and place it behind or infront of them respectively so they cannot leave the spot. If/when they get out and become confrontational, I point out they forgot to return it, and it could damage someones car - hey, it almost damaged theirs!
I like this. :evil:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6252 posts
3141 upvotes
Toronto
Chloey wrote: Please learn to be tolerant. Some people have injuries that you cannot see. They can walk OK with the cart for support but cannot walk properly without it - even the distance to return the cart. Just be thankful that you can.
Everyone has an excuse for everything. Everyone has a reason why they're special and why some inconvenient rule or expectation of society doesn't apply to them. Unless you are actually physically unable to perform the task (i.e. not because "it hurts" or "it's too far" or "I don't have time"), it's just an excuse. Either you get something done or you make someone else do it for you, and quite frankly people who make other people do things for them that they could have done themselves are weak and inconsiderate. I would estimate close to half the people I see do not return their carts, and if half the Canadian population is too crippled to walk without the aid of a cart, then I don't know how we survive as a society.

Saying "oh, you can't criticize so-and-so for not doing a basic thing because there's a 1% chance that they might have a legitimate reason" is how these people hide and why everyone else has to deal with everyone else's messes.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8434 posts
2375 upvotes
Mississauga
deltone wrote: I like this. :evil:
My wife dislikes stuff like this, but I always do a physical assessment first - ie would I be afraid if the person got mad and it escalated ;)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5541 posts
1734 upvotes
Kanata
Avenger wrote: I like when people do this and I am nearby. I walk over as they enter their car and place it behind or infront of them respectively so they cannot leave the spot. If/when they get out and become confrontational, I point out they forgot to return it, and it could damage someones car - hey, it almost damaged theirs!
Wish I had the balls to do that, I just do the opposite, and return carts back to the corral or the store when I walk by lol
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8434 posts
2375 upvotes
Mississauga
Tabooger wrote: Wish I had the balls to do that, I just do the opposite, and return carts back to the corral or the store when I walk by lol
I think what drives me to do it is when the freaking thing is 10 steps away and they still opt to be lazy. Big issue at my local Superstore. There is NO excuse for that. I can maybe understand their laziness if it is quite a distance, but when it is just as easy to put it away, nope!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6366 posts
245 upvotes
Avenger wrote: My wife dislikes stuff like this, but I always do a physical assessment first - ie would I be afraid if the person got mad and it escalated ;)
I would never have the guts to do this. LOL I wish I would though as it's something that annoys me to no end. Just the other day I was at Costco and although the cart didn't touch my car, when I came out to leave, there was a cart right by my car. The corral was very close to the parking spot so it's not like the creep would have had far to go. Useless garbage, these lazy, self-centered jerks.