• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2011 4:33 pm
[OP]
Jul 24, 2009
9 posts
Thornhill

Shopping for a new flat-screen TV

Hello there,

Trying to understand what is the real difference here b/w LED and regular LCD TVs? Some links on the internet (http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-guide/) suggest the benefits of power consumption are not that huge?

What about features, such as movie playback, DLNA connectivity, etc? Any difference there? What brands are the best to consider?

Appreciate any help ...
5 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
25163 posts
14894 upvotes
Toronto
The basic technology between so called LED tvs and LCD tvs is exactly the same. They are both LCD (liquid crystal display) tvs. In the case of LED tv, LEDs are the backlighting source. For LCD, the backlight is ccfl. In terms of features that you mentioned, they could be found in both. Recently, there seems to be a push to replace ccfl with LED backlighting. So, if a feature is bleeding edge, you may find it not being rolled out to a LCD unit.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6659 posts
2300 upvotes
Basically what will888 said. It's essentially the same thing so don't walk into a store and spend tons more on a TV because it's LED vs. LCD.

Have you considered plasma? It didn't have a very good rep a few years back they have come a long way and pretty much almost closed the gap. Unless you live > 2,000 ft. above sea level then I would give plasma some thought as well.
[OP]
Jul 24, 2009
9 posts
Thornhill
Thanks for the responses folks... This confirms what I learned so far, so if I choose b/w LCD and LED with the same set of features, then I will go by the price

I do consider plasma (as I need several TVs for different rooms), which seems to be a good choice for dark rooms, however is more energy-consuming.

Some friends also suggested to buy an external movie player that connects via HDMI cable to the TV and has internet connectivity as well.

This should cost b/w 100-150 bucks as opposed to having all movie playback and Internet connectivity features built in which potentially costs much more ...

Any ideas about this combination?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2307 posts
1055 upvotes
Toronto
You're better off getting an external box for streaming and stuff. With the changing pace of technology any built-in features on the TV could become obsolote pretty quickly.
Jan 8, 2008
77 posts
48 upvotes
Eastern Ont -The Uni…
+1 on that.

Like buying a car with a built in GPS. It'll be obsolete before your car wears out.

The external boxes are a lot cheaper than the added cost of the features built in to the TV.