Shopping for a sofa (Chaise)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2020 6:01 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 27, 2020
9 posts

Shopping for a sofa (Chaise)

Hello all, would appreciate some buying tips. I live in a pretty small city, the only furniture stores around are costco, the brick, leons, ashleys, surplus furniture, and lazy boy. We currently have a budget around $1000-1500. I am not sure if it is possible to find a decent chaise for that price. We would prefer not going used, paranoid about bed bugs.

From my reading, ashleys, leons, and the brick all carry crap in this price range. I found a decent chaise on surplus furniture from a company called Carolina Girl based in North Carolina. Their site says they use hardwood, osb, and plywood for the frame. Stress points and corners are blocked and stapled. 1.5 inch density foam with 29lbs compression core. And seat cushions are wrapped with 1.25 oz fibre. The fabric is chanille. The cushions can be flipped and washed. I contacted a representative from surplus, and she said "The NCU 7082 sectional has a kiln-dried hardwood frame, webbing support system, and loose cushions with high density foam cores. It’s a great choice and is extremely durable! Delivery fees depend on where you live but they are very reasonable. The sales associates will be able to give you more detail in store once we are allowed to reopen." On the surplus furniture website, it says "All the springs are 8.5-gauge and spaced evenly to provide comfortable, stable seating throughout the product." so I am not sure if it is webbing or springs?

The price is $998. If it lasted us 5 years, I'd be content with that.

Any guidance/advice would be greatly appreciated!
5 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14569 posts
8976 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure if you are asking for advise on this north carolina company or the chaise...... Do you want it left or right? Material? But I know your pain. Honestly, the brick will probably be your best option. When I went shopping for a chaise, the brick was the only place that had something that would work. In the end, I ended up buying an old antique chaise that is solid wood and had it redone. Was expensive but well worth it.

You'll be in the $800 range I think for the brick, or something similar. I would inspect it, some is decent quality. Your budget isn't going to be any more better spent on some US website where you can't see or try what you buy. That's a stupid thing to do with seating furniture.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4286 posts
3715 upvotes
Toronto
So does Surplus Furniture have it on display for you to try out? I wouldn't spend money on seating furniture because of the big possibility of not liking it unless you try it yourself. I would definitely recommend only purchasing a certain model once you've tried out the display model. The only exception would be purchasing from Costco.ca because of its great return policy. You can assume you won't easily be able to return anything to those other retailers you mentioned.

All the detailed specs in the world can't substitute for your butt.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1125 posts
862 upvotes
Durham Region
If you only want it to last 5 years then any cheap crap from brick will do
[OP]
Jan 27, 2020
9 posts
koffey wrote: Not sure if you are asking for advise on this north carolina company or the chaise...... Do you want it left or right? Material? But I know your pain. Honestly, the brick will probably be your best option. When I went shopping for a chaise, the brick was the only place that had something that would work. In the end, I ended up buying an old antique chaise that is solid wood and had it redone. Was expensive but well worth it.

You'll be in the $800 range I think for the brick, or something similar. I would inspect it, some is decent quality. Your budget isn't going to be any more better spent on some US website where you can't see or try what you buy. That's a stupid thing to do with seating furniture.
I am asking for advice in general, the carolina girl was just an example of one that stood out to me. We would prefer it to be interchangeable. Even a decent sofa and an ottoman would work. Material wise, we are not sure. We have two cats, they don't claw any furniture but we are paranoid about it. The carolina girl example is sold by surplus furniture, not a US website. So when stores open we would be able to go see it in person. Thanks a lot for the help!
jm1 wrote: So does Surplus Furniture have it on display for you to try out? I wouldn't spend money on seating furniture because of the big possibility of not liking it unless you try it yourself. I would definitely recommend only purchasing a certain model once you've tried out the display model. The only exception would be purchasing from Costco.ca because of its great return policy. You can assume you won't easily be able to return anything to those other retailers you mentioned.

All the detailed specs in the world can't substitute for your butt.
They do have it on display. We will just have to wait until stores reopen to go in and check it out. Thanks for the help, I'll check out costco online as well.
networksend wrote: If you only want it to last 5 years then any cheap crap from brick will do
Well 5 years is the goal, if it lasted longer, or if it is in good shape after 5 years, that would be great. Just trying to realistically look at our budget and see what can be got for it.