Shopping Discussion

Shops are reopening after COVID-19, and some are adding a new line to your bill to pay for it

  • Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2020 10:32 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
24407 posts
20509 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

Shops are reopening after COVID-19, and some are adding a new line to your bill to pay for it

Shops are reopening after COVID-19, and some are adding a new line to your bill to pay for it
Under normal circumstances, Rempel's salon has 12 stylists seeing around 10 clients each a day. But because she's had to limit the number of people in her store at any given time because of social distancing, only half her staff is working, and they're each seeing four to five clients only.

The salon has a rigorous policy of using face masks, sanitizers and other cleaning products, and those all come at a cost.

"We tried to absorb it all in the beginning," she said. "But our masks have doubled in price."

Rempel said she had a stockpile of masks before the lockdown that cost her about 50 cents each. But the salon quickly used up their entire supply, and she can't find replacements for less than $2 each. Limiting the amount of customers she can handle means revenue is down by about half, but costs for items such as masks and sanitizers have more than doubled.
veni, vidi, Visa
56 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
24407 posts
20509 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Yabbut this issue is much broader than salons or BC or even just PPE.

Imagine what the airlines will be able to do with a C-19 surcharge. You'll not only have to pay for PPE but also for all the empty seats around you that are needed to comply with physical distancing. And that will be on top of the "temporary" "fuel" surcharges that are still being charged even with record low oil prices.

So yeah, ISTM that this broader discussion does belong in the Shopping Discussion forum.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7883 posts
4528 upvotes
Alberta
Trudeau is paying for their rent and 75% of their wages and whatever else and these businesses/companies are still trying to screw you with this covid surcharge. Unreal.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 20, 2012
13532 posts
2880 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
This is why having a bald cut is the best. DIY, zero cost, zero surcharge. Now if I can find a way to pay myself for 10 minutes. *welp* Saved myself $120 year from having a barber do it and that's el cheapo chinatown.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11237 posts
6281 upvotes
Markham
cgtlky wrote: Because of this "The salon has a rigorous policy of using face masks, sanitizers and other cleaning products, and those all come at a cost."
Question is does customer want to pay?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
7585 posts
2059 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: Question is does customer want to pay?
If you have no one to cut your hair (you can not cut it yourself properly), Do you have any other option ?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
12969 posts
16600 upvotes
Vancouver
Understandable that retailers need to raise prices because of increased costs, but they should just RAISE the PRICE, not advertise one price and then tack on extra charges afterwards. Imagine how far this might go if every type of business expense was tacked on afterwards instead of being built into the price:

Item advertised cost: $29.99
$2.00 COVID fee
$0.60 janitorial fee
$1.15 rent and property tax surcharge
$0.10 electricity and gas charges
$0.09 water bill
$0.47 employee benefit plan
$0.15 elevator inspection and maintenance fee
$0.10 fire safety equipment and maintenance costs
$0.90 insurance premium surcharge
$4.27 GST and PST

Total $39.82

This should all be illegal. In most of the world it's even illegal to tack on sales taxes afterwards, they must be included in the sticker price. Canada/USA are outliers with this.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 20, 2012
13532 posts
2880 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
jackrabbit000 wrote: Trudeau is paying for their rent and 75% of their wages and whatever else and these businesses/companies are still trying to screw you with this covid surcharge. Unreal.
No tip. The tip is the surcharge for keeping me "safe". Point blank.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7883 posts
4528 upvotes
Alberta
aznnorth wrote: No tip. The tip is the surcharge for keeping me "safe". Point blank.
My wife and daughter are RN's working front line at a hospital. Nobody tips them and they are at more risk for getting covid-19 than you ever will be. I've been working since day one of this pandemic also and nobody tips me either, who's keeping me safe?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
18100 posts
20482 upvotes
GTA
Gotta laugh at those people that think a hair cut is an essential service and can be gauged. Like most prices, if you don't like it, don't buy it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
24407 posts
20509 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
cgtlky wrote: If you have no one to cut your hair (you can not cut it yourself properly), Do you have any other option ?
You have several options:
1. Use a trimmer on a short setting for a crew cut.
2. Shave your head.
3. Let your hair grow.

Related question. Some men go to a barbershop to get their face shaved or their beard trimmed. How are barbers going to do that stuff while the customer is wearing a face mask?
veni, vidi, Visa
Newbie
Feb 10, 2015
37 posts
18 upvotes
Nepean, ON
These salon places were a rip off before the pandemic. They are just doing this for free advertising from the online "outrage".

Are they a car dealership? Why have an add on a fee when you're really just increasing your pricing? Total bs imo, there should be laws for stores to show all in pricing, (cell phones, cars, ticketmaster).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
24407 posts
20509 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Kiraly wrote: Understandable that retailers need to raise prices because of increased costs, but they should just RAISE the PRICE, not advertise one price and then tack on extra charges afterwards. Imagine how far this might go if every type of business expense was tacked on afterwards instead of being built into the price:

Item advertised cost: $29.99
$2.00 COVID fee
$0.60 janitorial fee
$1.15 rent and property tax surcharge
$0.10 electricity and gas charges
$0.09 water bill
$0.47 employee benefit plan
$0.15 elevator inspection and maintenance fee
$0.10 fire safety equipment and maintenance costs
$0.90 insurance premium surcharge
$4.27 GST and PST

Total $39.82

This should all be illegal. In most of the world it's even illegal to tack on sales taxes afterwards, they must be included in the sticker price. Canada/USA are outliers with this.
Don't forget the tip on top of all that :twisted: Smiling Face With Open Mouth
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20070 posts
17937 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Honestly ...
I get these are crazy times
Covid has definitely changed the way things need to operate

So I am ok ... with an added fee due to the circumstances
And I much prefer it added on as an extra
Haircut $ 29.99
Covid Fed = $ 10.00 (to cover PPE, Physical Distancing / Less Staff + Less Customers etc)
Total = $ 39.99

As long as AFTER this all is over ... the place goes back to charging $ 29.99 for the haircut

Much better, than the guy who jumps up his price now to $ 39+ and never ever brings it back down in the future
Cuz he never had any intention to give up that 33% price increase ... and THATS THE DEFINITION OF PRICE GOUGING

Truth is ... these are unprecedented times
People need to make decisions on what they will pay for anything under a new light

Would I pay $ 39+ for a haircut (vs $ 29.99 )

Depends how much I feel I need one.
Maybe yes now ... 10 weeks since shutdown
But maybe not a month from now

So maybe I look around for a new barber ... or what other places are charging
Or I just decide to go less often ... Than I used to
Afterall, I managed to survive 10 weeks so far

So as @engineered said as Consumers ... we all have choices on how we spend our money
And what we deem important / essential to spend it on
engineered wrote: Gotta laugh at those people that think a hair cut is an essential service and can be gauged. Like most prices, if you don't like it, don't buy it.
I may pay more for groceries to eat right now ... cuz of the Covid Craziness factor

But a hair cut ... ya probably not
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
7585 posts
2059 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: You have several options:
1. Use a trimmer on a short setting for a crew cut.
2. Shave your head.
3. Let your hair grow.

Related question. Some men go to a barbershop to get their face shaved or their beard trimmed. How are barbers going to do that stuff while the customer is wearing a face mask?
Basically, I am just talking about "JUST HAIRCUT", so I don't have a problem with wearing a mask and the barber/hairdresser wearing a mask and a pair of gloves while cutting my hair.

Only the rich and lazy people go to barber shop to have their beard/face hair shaved/trimmed. I can do those using the old fashion razor.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19580 posts
7808 upvotes
Toronto
This is complete BS these places should be lucky they are allowed to reopen and not screw customers by charging bogus COVID19 fees. They need to understand this is the new norm and it's the cost of doing business.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11237 posts
6281 upvotes
Markham
cgtlky wrote: If you have no one to cut your hair (you can not cut it yourself properly), Do you have any other option ?
Of course you have. Like coffee, you used to pay espresso and now you just pay regular coffee like tall dark. You still go to shop but inly buy less expensive one. Same for other services

And you can go less often .

There are always options.

Top