• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2021 3:25 pm
[OP]
Aug 6, 2019
212 posts
154 upvotes
berta

short distance race shoe recomendation

say my job performance is partially rated on a 2.4k and 5k run time. is there a non spiked shoe for this type of distance? im looking for an edge. NB and Saucony seem to be the brands that like the shape of my feet. i train with a minimal shoe.
not food
9 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2323 posts
721 upvotes
If you’re on the track, spikes for sure. XC you’ll probably want XC spikes. Road maybe the Saucony Type A/Endorphin or New Balance Hanzo/1400 if you want to stay with those brands.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7809 posts
6264 upvotes
Ottawa
Saucony Type A and Nike Vaporfly yield me identical times in 1k and 1 mile time trials - to the second. Vaporfly is the better shoe for longer distances due to how it cushions without robbing as much energy as a normal distance shoe but it comes at the expense of people knowing you spent $300 to buy a shoe to improve your 5k time by 10-15 seconds. Saucony Endorphin Pro is pretty much as good for me as the Vaporfly for HM and shorter distances and might be the way to go for you. YMMV.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3551 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
I would think anything with a spring plate to help propel you forward.

i haven't ran in a while, but when i did, the nike zoom fly was noticeably faster than the pegasus for me.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7809 posts
6264 upvotes
Ottawa
Most people don't know how to describe what the carbon fibre plate does in a running shoe - it isn't a spring and does not propel. That is not at all what its role is. A carbon-fibre plated shoe is absolutely unnecessary in 5 km races; all one needs is a very light running shoe.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
11128 posts
5516 upvotes
Vaughan
sixteen12 wrote: If you’re on the track, spikes for sure. XC you’ll probably want XC spikes. Road maybe the Saucony Type A/Endorphin or New Balance Hanzo/1400 if you want to stay with those brands.
Spike's are ideal, but OP said it partially affects job performance, however, I don't read that as fully competitive racing. So I think even if running on a track, non-spikes will suffice.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3551 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
CaptSmethwick wrote: Most people don't know how to describe what the carbon fibre plate does in a running shoe - it isn't a spring and does not propel. That is not at all what its role is. A carbon-fibre plated shoe is absolutely unnecessary in 5 km races; all one needs is a very light running shoe.
Maybe I didn't put it as eloquently but....
HOW DO CARBON FIBRES BENEFIT RUNNING SHOES?
So why put these unique fibres into running shoes? The rigidity of the plate helps provide energy return (some runners call it a pleasant "snap") that propels you forward, while the lightweight nature of carbon fibres makes it a great compound for running shoes (a lighter shoe is preferred by most runners to help with speed and ease of movement). The rigidity also helps with stability, keeping runners supported while they run. Most carbon-fibre plated shoes are made with a generous amount of cushioning, which counterbalances the rigid plate, creating the perfect balance between performance and comfort.

Simply put, shoes with a carbon plate have proven beneficial impacts on running performance!
https://www.blacktoerunning.com/blogs/e ... ning-shoes
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7809 posts
6264 upvotes
Ottawa
SoGood wrote: Maybe I didn't put it as eloquently but....

https://www.blacktoerunning.com/blogs/e ... ning-shoes
No worries. Unsurprisingly, even blogs get it wrong. There are TONS of opinions about how Vaporfly shoes work and many see them as cheating. Last year, World Athletics approved them for competition but the cheating accusations have not gone away. Regardless, after having read many many studies and articles about these shoes, I have concluded that nobody really knows how that plate helps.

My take on these shoes is that the PEBAX foam that Nike uses in the Vaporly is light and somewhat stiff - its high stack cushions and the degree to which this foam doesn't rob energy return is extraordinary. The original idea of the plate was to stiffen the shoe to overcome the squishy-ness of such a height of the sole of these shoes. But who knows why this combination of foam and plate works so well (in longer distances)?

Alex Hutchinson wrote a June 1, 2020 article in Canadian Running on the shoes. Alex is a guru in the field of the science of running and he quotes Saucony's VP of Innovation as saying "There's a lot of storytelling or myths about these carbon-plate shoes" and Alex concludes "At this point, the only thing we can say for sure is that no one truly knows exactly how or why the combination of plate and foam works so well." Unfortunately, bloggers contribute to the myths.

In the end, I do not find them useful in shorter distances and think that 5k runners racing in these look goofy - paying hundreds of dollars for performance you can get in a $75 shoe. In marathons, they're unbeatable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)