The Short-Term Trading Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 6:13 pm
Aug 18, 2003
957 posts
232 upvotes
Terrace
Gapping into close. Wish I trusted it.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
2959 posts
2112 upvotes
Calgary
Good morning!
Now that quad-witch is out of the way, the market should show its intentions...
Using 3340 as today's pivot...bulls need to get back over the open or it could get ugly
Probably won't do anything today unless there's a really compelling setup

Edit: Long ES 3330, stop 3326. VIX divergence - stopped (-4)
Edit2: Long NG 2.02
Edit3: Back in long ES 3329, stop LOD. VIX divergence is holding
Edit4: Stopped (-5)
Last edited by margincall on Sep 18th, 2020 11:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
Aug 18, 2003
957 posts
232 upvotes
Terrace
Long es 3330

edit. out -4 at 3326...Trump speaking at 2pm est....markt not crazy about that
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.
Aug 18, 2003
957 posts
232 upvotes
Terrace
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4274 posts
3417 upvotes
Is the iOS "Stocks" app providing Real Time prices?

I try never to go to Yahoo!, but they are the price provider for the included Stocks app. IDK if Yahoo! provides real time pricing on their website, but the Stocks app prices were always delayed.

Maybe someone else wants to check, but I've looked at both the US and Cdn cash equity markets to see if I was wrong.

My attached example was even correct to the 3rd decimal before I took a screen shot, although I noticed another stock being only correct to 2 decimal points. Good enough.

I'm not creating the N'th thread for this.

Update

See attached chart. Real time is close enough if not trying to squeeze out the last penny.
Images
  • DA2D3669-A506-418B-A8CC-FF245C1CC0FD.jpeg
  • EB548CAA-2647-4F0C-8A9A-F25FDEF8F968.jpeg
On this day in 1885, Charles Merrill was born in Green Grove Springs, Fla., the son of a family doctor. With Edmund C. Lynch, he founded Merrill, Lynch & Co. in 1914 to “bring Wall Street to Main Street.”
May 2, 2019
345 posts
317 upvotes
Vancouver
MrMom wrote: I try never to go to Yahoo!, but they are the price provider for the included Stocks app. IDK if Yahoo! provides real time pricing on their website, but the Stocks app prices were always delayed.
US live quotes are widely available, including Yahoo finance. No reason why they wouldn't work.

Canadian quotes are usually delayed by 15 min, including Yahoo: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/finance-for-w ... cale=en_CA

I thought mistakenly until today there's no legitimate free Canadian real-time feeds, because TSX (or TMX Group, rather) charges for every use of the live data. At least that's a good reason for foreign sites not to bother. But, it appears some Canadian sites have live data since 2017:

bnn.ca announcement;
money.tmx.com announcement.

So, perhaps the BNN app is one obvious place to look for real time Canadian quotes.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5305 posts
1930 upvotes
Winnipeg
thelastword wrote: Cover 20% at 420
Edit
Looks like TSLA longs are holding until or after battery day to sell. All tech names are down big yet TSLA does not want to give.
Might cover another 20% at EOD
Cover 20% at 422
30% left
What announcement will Tesla make on battery day?
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1982 posts
933 upvotes
YYZ
airmail wrote: What announcement will Tesla make on battery day?
trust in the musk.
Licensed Full Service Realtor
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4274 posts
3417 upvotes
Thanks @yvrbanker. I wasn't looking for real time pricing, but I am suggesting the iOS "Stocks" apps provides it now.
On this day in 1885, Charles Merrill was born in Green Grove Springs, Fla., the son of a family doctor. With Edmund C. Lynch, he founded Merrill, Lynch & Co. in 1914 to “bring Wall Street to Main Street.”
May 7, 2017
889 posts
446 upvotes
MrMom wrote: Is the iOS "Stocks" app providing Real Time prices?

I try never to go to Yahoo!, but they are the price provider for the included Stocks app. IDK if Yahoo! provides real time pricing on their website, but the Stocks app prices were always delayed.

Maybe someone else wants to check, but I've looked at both the US and Cdn cash equity markets to see if I was wrong.

My attached example was even correct to the 3rd decimal before I took a screen shot, although I noticed another stock being only correct to 2 decimal points. Good enough.

I'm not creating the N'th thread for this.

Update

See attached chart. Real time is close enough if not trying to squeeze out the last penny.
Saw the same problem with ES quotes on iOS too. Seems like some yahoo finance glitch that screwed up the app prices.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4274 posts
3417 upvotes
Thx @bend3r. I only look at the app to browse for news I may have missed, but I will look again on Monday to see if Friday's pricing was a glitch or a permanent change.

Update (Sept 21)

Real time cash market snapshot prices, but 10 min delayed futures prices.
Images
  • CD8EA086-C9C3-401F-A922-051E8704281C.jpeg
Last edited by MrMom on Sep 21st, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
23598 posts
5301 upvotes
where I belong
Futures ugly -2% across
Europe down as well 2-3%

VIX +17%

NKLA -27% to $25 USD after Trevor Milton resigns, what a joke stock to US market/SPAC/IPO/SEC. Everyone can sell a (fake) dream for millions
https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/s ... =home-page
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

aronpm