• Oct 23rd, 2019 12:17 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 5, 2009
834 posts
128 upvotes
Montreal

Shorten sofa legs. How,where?

Just bought a couch from Structube. Very happy with it except for the height. I want to take off 3 inches from the legs. How can I do that? Is there a way I can do it myself or is there somewhere I can have it done. Precision cut is important. The legs are metal, chrome maybe, so I'm guessing a machine is required. Your help is appreciated.
20191020_184521[1623].jpg
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7726 posts
1607 upvotes
A hand hacksaw with a metal cutting blade plus time and elbow grease may work. Just need to tape up the piece, especially at the cut to protect the finish and may be easier to build a jig to assist the cut and keep them all at the same level.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1435 posts
244 upvotes
Grimsby
If you cut those feet how will you protect the floor from the bare metal? Not impossible but thoughts need to be addressed before any action happens.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2009
834 posts
128 upvotes
Montreal
Side problem but fixable with rubber furniture pads.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8108 posts
2763 upvotes
Maple
Will the sofa look funny after cut? Shorter legs and closer floor?!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3287 posts
2266 upvotes
Toronto
Return it and buy the right couch (if it exists).

Otherwise, you need to know what those legs are made out of. If it's chrome plated steel, cutting it is going to be challenging and you'll need to trim out the cut ends. It won't be clean.

If they're polished aluminum (likely) then it's much easier. Cut, file, polish. Put on furniture pads to protect the floor and move on.

Or take the seat cushions somewhere and have them customized to be 3" thinner.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3287 posts
2266 upvotes
Toronto
It looked like those feet were part of a fully connected system, but are they actually four separate feet that bolt onto the bottom of the sofa?

If that's the case, just replace the legs with shorter ones. Lots of furniture legs at Lee Valley and other places.

Or, remove them, take them to a machine/welding/polishing shop and ask them to remove 3" and re-finish.

Mayfair Plating on Carlaw is my go-to place for chrome plating.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10063 posts
5325 upvotes
Paris
torontotim wrote:
Mayfair Plating on Carlaw is my go-to place for chrome plating.
Not to hijack, but how much chrome plating does one have to do to have a “chrome plating guy”?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3287 posts
2266 upvotes
Toronto
I've spent a few thousand over the years on chrome plating. Probably spanning 15+ years and 5+ motorcycle restorations. So I guess about that much.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2009
834 posts
128 upvotes
Montreal
Separate from the couch, I screwed them on. I was gonna say what is Lee valley because I never heard of them but whadda ya know, there is one in the Montreal area. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5684 posts
3433 upvotes
It would be more helpful to see a couple photos of the legs removed from the couch.

I suspect cutting might be easy enough, but it more a question of how to fasten them back on again.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2009
834 posts
128 upvotes
Montreal
fdl wrote: It would be more helpful to see a couple photos of the legs removed from the couch.

I suspect cutting might be easy enough, but it more a question of how to fasten them back on again.
The legs came separate with the sofa. Very easy to install (4 screws). Very easy to remove (unscrew).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5684 posts
3433 upvotes
redflag5050 wrote: The legs came separate with the sofa. Very easy to install (4 screws). Very easy to remove (unscrew).
Right but what if you chop the tops off ?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6647 posts
2253 upvotes
GTA
fdl wrote: Right but what if you chop the tops off ?
LOL, you're right..... OP should drill holes in the floor and forget this crazy nonsense of cutting couch legs!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1878 upvotes
Ontario
fdl wrote: Right but what if you chop the tops off ?
My guess is the top of the leg is one piece with the vertical leg, like this:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/ha ... niture-leg

My vote is to just remove the legs and buy another set that fit and are the size you need - and as mentioned in the thread, Lee Valley is a nice place to start:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/ha ... iture-legs
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/ha ... corner-leg - steel corner one, if lucky hole pattern matches?

I've cut wood feet myself but finished metal of any kind is going to be more difficult to look presentable, or likely come at a higher cost.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3287 posts
2266 upvotes
Toronto
If the legs are aluminum, like the ones at Lee Valley, it's no big deal at all to cut them. Hack saw or take them somewhere. Lots of machine shops, welding places etc. that can chop 3" off the bottoms, and then smooth the edges with simple tools and polish to a mirror shine again.

But this is all easy to do at home if aluminum.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5561 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
take a picture of the legs. those in your picture look wooden. It should be easy enough to cut with a band saw or something similar. Then grinded and polished smooth. Other easier option is just get different legs.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16180 posts
13468 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Construction techniques aside ...

My first question is WHY ?

3 inches is a fair bit of a decrease, when the standard in the industry is a seat height that’s DESIGNED to be so many inches off the floor so it’s comfy when one is in a seated position (the upside down L shape) that knees to feet make when resting on the floor.

Unless one is quite short in stature, altering this makes no sense ... and will only bring discomfort to the average user
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4328 posts
3774 upvotes
Toronto
If you want to do this to match an ottoman, side table, coffee table, etc. then it will be easier to raise the table than cut the sofa's legs.

Also, give the cushions some time to settle, you may find yourself eventually sitting lower once the cushions are worn in.