Home & Garden

Shoud I buy a used Toro 724 Power max snowblower for 525$ (6 years old) ?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2021 1:34 pm
Nov 7, 2016
9 posts
1 upvote
Montreal

Shoud I buy a used Toro 724 Power max snowblower for 525$ (6 years old) ?

Hello,

I am moving in a house where the previous owner has a Toro 724 Power max oe to sell for 525$. It has been purchased in October 2015. It has been used only to clean a small pedestrian hallway since they always had a contract for snow removal for the parking.
The snow blower seems to be in good shape.

I am wondering if it will be suitable for my needs: clean a parking for 2 cars and be able to remove the snow left by the city in front of the parking. I already have a Toro single stage 721 R Snow Blower , will it be more officiant to what I actually have ?

Is it better to get a Toto 824 power max or a bigger Unit? The price tag is a factor, but If it is not painful to do I will be able to avoid paying for snow removal every year. I don't care spending a good amount of money, if it will make my life easier with 2 young kids.
I leave in Laval if this change anything.

Thks for your insights
Image.
8 replies
Jul 17, 2010
362 posts
399 upvotes
525 is a fair price. Also consider the cost if you buy one elsewhere, you will have to pay for delivery if you don't have a truck or van.

As long as there is not rust on the frame. If the owner did their annual pm on belt, drive, and engine, the machine will last at least another 10 years
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Seems like a no-brainer, you will probably get $250 for your 21" Toro on Kijiji? The 724 will make your old 721 seem like a toy with its small wheels etc, the 24" does take up more storage room though. If the 724 is in decent shape I would jump on that upgrade and sell your old one to cover half the cost.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
It's big for the size driveway but that'll be good to have when you need to clean the pile up at the end of the driveway when snow plows go by. Pretty much anything new is going to be more than $500.

I'd put gas in and start it and if it starts easy...buy it for little less obviously [maybe $400??].

PS don't sell your snowblower till snow is in the forecast.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
Titeuf wrote: The snow blower seems to be in good shape.
How can you tell? Engine compression test? Carburetor inspected? Spark plug inspected? Fuel line inspected? It runs ok in all speeds and under load?
Nov 7, 2016
9 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
BDSL wrote: How can you tell? Engine compression test? Carburetor inspected? Spark plug inspected? Fuel line inspected? It runs ok in all speeds and under load?
I am gonna see it today, owner have done the revision last year, they take care of their belongings and pay for everything for the house's reparations to be done by professional.

I don't have the knowledge to check the snowblower to see if it is in a perfect shape. I had mine for 2 seasons only. But I can definitely , check for rust, leak and start it.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
If you do buy then assume, due to the limited use, that you may have to replace all or some shear pins, get yourself 2X as many as the machine needs. This is especially important as you say you will be removing the snow left by the plows.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
If you wait for the right sale, these Toro 724 can be had for as low as 850 + HST, so say a grand.

You're paying roughly half for this 6 year old one.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
2004 posts
1181 upvotes
London
I'd offer $400 if it runs. Has the oil ever been changed? He probably doesn't need it and would likely drop to $400 to avoid moving it, heck, not having to deal with kijiji people would be worth the $100. If they are moving to a condo, maybe he also won't need his shovels and scrappers, garden tools etc and will toss those in for a slightly higher price.