Careers

Should i add a 7 -day temp gig to my resume?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2019 8:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6344 posts
1519 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Should i add a 7 -day temp gig to my resume?

Position is a General Office Clerk at a pretty reputable company. Should i still add it?

TIA
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9705 posts
4900 upvotes
Markham
yesstyle wrote: Position is a General Office Clerk at a pretty reputable company. Should i still add it?

TIA
Does it help to get you new job you are applying for?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6344 posts
1519 upvotes
Richmond Hill
i guess so. I'm applying to office-based (admin) jobs and it could help fill in gaps and show i've been active.
smartie wrote: Does it help to get you new job you are applying for?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1400 posts
1226 upvotes
How many years of experience do you have OP?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6344 posts
1519 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ProductGuy wrote: How many years of experience do you have OP?
Before, i had 4 years of exp as a legal assistant. Switching over to HR
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1967 posts
858 upvotes
HK
I wouldn't, it's insignificant.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1400 posts
1226 upvotes
Don’t include it. People would laugh and discard your resume as it would look odd. It’s better to show as unemployed or working at previous job while looking for the right opportunity instead of putting something so insignificant on the resume.
Penalty Box
Jul 21, 2019
346 posts
652 upvotes
I would include it, but you don't put exact dates on resumes, only months, so just put something like August-September or whatever the period it was in. I'm sure they will never look into it, and it makes it seem like you got more experience and weren't diddling around. If asked about it just say it was a short temporary contract.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24795 posts
1908 upvotes
Markham, ON
Brandon26 wrote: I would include it, but you don't put exact dates on resumes, only months, so just put something like August-September or whatever the period it was in. I'm sure they will never look into it, and it makes it seem like you got more experience and weren't diddling around. If asked about it just say it was a short temporary contract.
that's 2 months....

OP: stick with 4 yrs...u are applying for HR
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1158 upvotes
It really depends. Do you have other things to fill the space? If not, a 7 day gig is better than zero experience. If you are a seasoned professional, you'd obviously have better things to put down. You said a reputable company. That's a reason to put it on.

You obviously don't need to emphasize "7 days" either written or verbal. You just put the month where you would list the timeframe. I've seen lots of people put 1 day volunteer events on their resume. You are trying to sell yourself. If the 7 days is relevant to the job, then I imagine the interviewer would be interested to hear it. How you deliver a message easily matters just as much as the content. You don't need to lie, but you never need to shine light on undesirable aspects.

You: I worked here and contributed my skills in xxx and solved so and so problems
Interview: Nice. Why did you leave?
You: It was a temporary assignment but I felt I made a meaningful contribution during my stay.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6344 posts
1519 upvotes
Richmond Hill
thelefteyeguy wrote: that's 2 months....

OP: stick with 4 yrs...u are applying for HR
Unfortunately, those 4 years were from 2014-2018. The company im trying to apply to is the one im temp-ing in.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9309 posts
1355 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Given the new info that the company you want to use this resume for is the one where you temp'ed at, I would consider putting it down to show you might have internal knowledge of their processes already which may be deemed valuable. you should've specified that in the OP because it changes the context.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5810 posts
1136 upvotes
Toronto
What did you accomplish in those 7 days, that you can sell your skillset to your next potential employer?
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Mar 20, 2006
455 posts
198 upvotes
If it helps you get the job you want you should unless you are already up to date without it. People will ask you questions about the short time frame and may confuse you. But you have just the right answer that you are taking initiative to get in to this area. I mean be prepared to be questioned about it but do include whatever may help you get what you want. By the way if you have prior short gigs you could take those out as not many people would understand or like that.