Health & Wellness

Should I ask for reimbursement?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2020 4:24 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 7, 2020
4 posts

Should I ask for reimbursement?

My dentist told me that I needed a root canal and referred me to an endodontist. The Endodontist then told me that I didn’t need a root canal. I was charged $150 for the cbct scan and consultation. Should I ask my dentist to to reimburse me since she was incorrect in telling me I needed a root canal?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1191 posts
615 upvotes
Many general dentists will do routine root canals themselves, rather than refer to an endodontist.

Maybe instead of being upset, you should be pleased that your general dentist referred you to a specialist rather than just doing a root canal themselves, and that the specialist's opinion is that you don't need one.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2007
3614 posts
2260 upvotes
Edmonton
LourdesM69347 wrote: My dentist told me that I needed a root canal and referred me to an endodontist. The Endodontist then told me that I didn’t need a root canal. I was charged $150 for the cbct scan and consultation. Should I ask my dentist to to reimburse me since she was incorrect in telling me I needed a root canal?
New account, first post, reader's digest question = possible troll.

Why don't you provide the full story? Didn't your dentist do an x-ray? What were the findings. Why did your dentist believe a root canal was necessary?

More importantly, why did the endodontist blieve a root canal was not necessary?

Th story doesn't end there. Obviously, the tooth would require some treatment. What is it?
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 7, 2020
4 posts
That is the whole story. I went in for a cleaning, they took an X-ray they “saw something” and told me I needed a root canal, gave me a referral and sent me on my way. At the endodontist they forced me to get a cbct scan, the dr performed the cold press test (sorry I don’t know the correct terminology) she called my dentist, disappeared for about 20min and came back and said that after viewing the X-rays that my dr had taken and the cbct scan that I do not need a root canal at the moment. That I had a filling on that tooth and that is possible why the dentist thought a root canal was needed. That I could possibly need one in the future but as of now I don’t. That is the whole story. I don’t appreciate you calling me a troll. Why would I waste my time creating an account to ask this question?

Also, my dentist doesn’t do root canals.

I should also note,I was charged $150 as stated before for the cbct scan and consultation. I thought that was the end of it. But no, my insurance was then billed $436. My insurance will not cover the cbct so I don’t know if the endodontist is going to bill me the difference. My point is that a root canal would’ve been $358 and if I end up getting billed the difference well.... I might as well have just gotten the root canal.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3843 posts
1048 upvotes
LourdesM69347 wrote: That is the whole story. I went in for a cleaning, they took an X-ray they “saw something” and told me I needed a root canal, gave me a referral and sent me on my way. At the endodontist they forced me to get a cbct scan, the dr performed the cold press test (sorry I don’t know the correct terminology) she called my dentist, disappeared for about 20min and came back and said that after viewing the X-rays that my dr had taken and the cbct scan that I do not need a root canal at the moment. That I had a filling on that tooth and that is possible why the dentist thought a root canal was needed. That I could possibly need one in the future but as of now I don’t. That is the whole story. I don’t appreciate you calling me a troll. Why would I waste my time creating an account to ask this question?

Also, my dentist doesn’t do root canals.

I should also note,I was charged $150 as stated before for the cbct scan and consultation. I thought that was the end of it. But no, my insurance was then billed $436. My insurance will not cover the cbct so I don’t know if the endodontist is going to bill me the difference. My point is that a root canal would’ve been $358 and if I end up getting billed the difference well.... I might as well have just gotten the root canal.

Perhaps you should've asked your dentist or the endodontist what the " something " was they saw, then they can proceed to explain to you the reasoning behind the root canal. I think the key word presented was you dont need a root canal " at the moment", which means things can change in the future. Think if it as you already have your foot in the door with the endodontist, the consult was already done, so you won't need to go through that again when/if you need a root canal in the future.

Billing on the other hand is something you should be on top of. Understanding your insurance policy is your own responsibility unfortunately. If you're concern about how much a procedure is going to be covered by your insurance, you can always ask for a pre-determination before anything is done, that way every one knows what the split is.
Sr. Member
Oct 3, 2017
893 posts
725 upvotes
Dentists charge every time you sit in the chair. I would never have a regular dentist do a root canal especially on a multi rooted tooth.
Be happy you got off with only a $150 charge from the endo.

And insurance never covers the amount billed (before the copay). They always only cover a % based on an old fee schedule which is always well below what is actually charged.

Plus that $358 root canal from an endodontist is more like $900 to $1200 often with a $1500 crown and $400 post added on top by your dentist.

And down the road that tooth could still need a $6+k implant/crown.

Could have bought a big house for what I have spent on my teeth.
Sr. Member
Apr 18, 2017
684 posts
1333 upvotes
LourdesM69347 wrote: That is the whole story. I went in for a cleaning, they took an X-ray they “saw something” and told me I needed a root canal, gave me a referral and sent me on my way. At the endodontist they forced me to get a cbct scan, the dr performed the cold press test (sorry I don’t know the correct terminology) she called my dentist, disappeared for about 20min and came back and said that after viewing the X-rays that my dr had taken and the cbct scan that I do not need a root canal at the moment. That I had a filling on that tooth and that is possible why the dentist thought a root canal was needed. That I could possibly need one in the future but as of now I don’t. That is the whole story. I don’t appreciate you calling me a troll. Why would I waste my time creating an account to ask this question?

Also, my dentist doesn’t do root canals.

I should also note,I was charged $150 as stated before for the cbct scan and consultation. I thought that was the end of it. But no, my insurance was then billed $436. My insurance will not cover the cbct so I don’t know if the endodontist is going to bill me the difference. My point is that a root canal would’ve been $358 and if I end up getting billed the difference well.... I might as well have just gotten the root canal.
Wow, people responding are being absolute dicks. A dentist is a professional - we learn to trust these people and for the not lead us astray. OP maybe made some missteps, but geez people have some compassion.

I went through a similar situation. Moved to a new town, had pain in my teeth so visited a dentist. They said I need molars removed and sent me to a specialist. Costed me a bit of money for the dentist + specialist. Didn't end up getting them out because the cost was astronomical.

Moved back home a few months later and went to my regular dentist, and they said my molars were fine. No issues or reason to have them removed.

I wouldn't bother fighting the fees though. I would probably not go back to that dentist. Find a better one.
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 7, 2020
4 posts
coilz wrote: Perhaps you should've asked your dentist or the endodontist what the " something " was they saw, then they can proceed to explain to you the reasoning behind the root canal. I think the key word presented was you dont need a root canal " at the moment", which means things can change in the future. Think if it as you already have your foot in the door with the endodontist, the consult was already done, so you won't need to go through that again when/if you need a root canal in the future.

Billing on the other hand is something you should be on top of. Understanding your insurance policy is your own responsibility unfortunately. If you're concern about how much a procedure is going to be covered by your insurance, you can always ask for a pre-determination before anything is done, that way every one knows what the split is.

That “something” was a shadow. Which I’m assuming was the filling. I know I should’ve asked more questions but dentists give me anxiety as it is so I just took her recommendation.

As for the billing. When I arrived at my appointment they told me that I HAD TO get that cbct scan in order to proceed. I felt forced to do it. At the end of the day now I know I should’ve asked more questions and done my research ahead of time. Thank you for your response.
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 7, 2020
4 posts
User131439 wrote: Wow, people responding are being absolute dicks. A dentist is a professional - we learn to trust these people and for the not lead us astray. OP maybe made some missteps, but geez people have some compassion.

I went through a similar situation. Moved to a new town, had pain in my teeth so visited a dentist. They said I need molars removed and sent me to a specialist. Costed me a bit of money for the dentist + specialist. Didn't end up getting them out because the cost was astronomical.

Moved back home a few months later and went to my regular dentist, and they said my molars were fine. No issues or reason to have them removed.

I wouldn't bother fighting the fees though. I would probably not go back to that dentist. Find a better one.

Thank you for responding. I sure wasn’t expecting the rudeness from some people. First timer here. Lesson learned!!
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6457 posts
1234 upvotes
User131439 wrote: Wow, people responding are being absolute dicks. A dentist is a professional - we learn to trust these people and for the not lead us astray. OP maybe made some missteps, but geez people have some compassion.

I went through a similar situation. Moved to a new town, had pain in my teeth so visited a dentist. They said I need molars removed and sent me to a specialist. Costed me a bit of money for the dentist + specialist. Didn't end up getting them out because the cost was astronomical.

Moved back home a few months later and went to my regular dentist, and they said my molars were fine. No issues or reason to have them removed.

I wouldn't bother fighting the fees though. I would probably not go back to that dentist. Find a better one.
I also wanted to add that it’s the dentist’s responsibility to explain things to their patients in a way that the patient can understand and make an informed decision.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3843 posts
1048 upvotes
LourdesM69347 wrote: That “something” was a shadow. Which I’m assuming was the filling. I know I should’ve asked more questions but dentists give me anxiety as it is so I just took her recommendation.

As for the billing. When I arrived at my appointment they told me that I HAD TO get that cbct scan in order to proceed. I felt forced to do it. At the end of the day now I know I should’ve asked more questions and done my research ahead of time. Thank you for your response.
Usually the type of " shadow" that prompts a visit to an endodontist is at the root of the tooth. Hints at the presence of an infection/abscess. Hence the referral by your general dentist to an endodontist for a consult. CBCT gives more of an in depth 3D view of the tooth, it's internal canal system and surrounding area, might become standard of care in the future. Perhaps the endodontist saw something else with the CBCT images in hand, prompting him/her holding off on the root canal.

Yes it's good to get into the mind set of asking questions while you're in the chair, definitely their job to answer any questions you have with regards to any procedure. I understand it's tough sometimes when you're put on the spot. Can always call back at a later time with questions too. Good luck!

Top