• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2020 12:45 pm
[OP]
May 30, 2009
200 posts
27 upvotes
ontario

should I buy all season tires now?

I'll be needing tires soon but with the cooler weather coming, I will be putting on winter tires.

I want to hold off on buying all reasons until next year, once the winters come off but there are some great deals on tires right not.

Any advice? If I bought the tires now and store them in my basement until spring, would that be ok? Or I buy them now and get them install and they would be used for 2 months. Or should I wait till spring?
14 replies
Nov 30, 2005
855 posts
258 upvotes
Belleville, ON
I am in the same boat as you. I have over 100k on my original all season. I am hoping to use them until Nov and then swap them out for winters. This will give me all winter to find and buy new all seasons and have them mounted before I will have to swap them back for the spring.

Where are people buying and mounting tires these days?
Mar 11, 2012
283 posts
72 upvotes
no problem at all if you find a good deal, store them.
[OP]
May 30, 2009
200 posts
27 upvotes
ontario
ZxExN wrote: I am in the same boat as you. I have over 100k on my original all season. I am hoping to use them until Nov and then swap them out for winters. This will give me all winter to find and buy new all seasons and have them mounted before I will have to swap them back for the spring.

Where are people buying and mounting tires these days?

I'm looking at Quattro Tires.
Nov 30, 2005
855 posts
258 upvotes
Belleville, ON
What is a good value for an suv tire these days? I have 235/60R18s 104H.

Is Michelin or Continental the go to brands?

My thinking is they will probably do a sale in the spring which will save me some space and hassle of storing tires over the winter.

I might have to put the old tires back, drive to costco and have them install the new ones.

Does costco charge extra if they have to remove the old tires off rims currently on vehicle vs installing the tires on rims not currently on vehicle?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1062 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
I'd just wait until spring when they have the rebates. I find that with tires they usually have a fall and spring rebate program, but other than that the pricing is pretty consistent unless you found something on clearance that a shop wants to get rid of.
[OP]
May 30, 2009
200 posts
27 upvotes
ontario
I'm looking at kumho tires, they have an instant 10 percent rebate plus a 40 mail in rebate
Feb 26, 2007
114 posts
66 upvotes
qqq17 wrote: I'm looking at kumho tires, they have an instant 10 percent rebate plus a 40 mail in rebate
Just had Kumho HA31 installed, bought from Quattro, pretty noisy tires. On a rough road, you can feel it under your seat and steering wheel.
My old AS, Bridgestone Ecopia tires with less than 20% tread left on them still gave me almost no noise at all.
The HA31 would be quieter on a snow covered surface, i hope.
[OP]
May 30, 2009
200 posts
27 upvotes
ontario
hct398 wrote: Just had Kumho HA31 installed, bought from Quattro, pretty noisy tires. On a rough road, you can feel it under your seat and steering wheel.
My old AS, Bridgestone Ecopia tires with less than 20% tread left on them still gave me almost no noise at all.
The HA31 would be quieter on a snow covered surface, i hope.
Thats what I was looking at. I read a few reviews about the noise and am thinking about it. What kind of car do you have? I have a 2015 civic. I read that the tire is rather noisy because its pretty good in the snow.
Oct 24, 2018
365 posts
350 upvotes
I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'll never understand this. If you have winter tires, why not get summer tires to go with them as they perform much better than all season tires in wet and dry conditions above 8 degrees celsius?

"All Season" tires are a compromise in all seasons. Winter tires are best for under 7-8 degrees celsius, summer tires are best for over 8 degrees celsius. Both winter and summer tires are dramatically better at what they were engineered to do than all season tires.

The only reasons I could think of not to get summer tires to go with winter tires is if they don't make summer tires in the size required by your vehicle, or if you are not reliable enough to swap out the tires on your vehicle at the right times of the year.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2837 posts
1150 upvotes
GTA
Some people drive all seasons in both the summer and winter - they are all seasons after all.
Storing them in your garage puts a lot less wear on them than driving would.
Oct 24, 2018
365 posts
350 upvotes
Viperoni wrote: Some people drive all seasons in both the summer and winter - they are all seasons after all.
Storing them in your garage puts a lot less wear on them than driving would.
The OP stated they already have winter tires. Therefor, buying no season tires makes little sense when summer tires perform dramatically better when the ambient temperature is over 8c.

I find a lot of people don't know that so called all season tires are a compromise in all 4 seasons, and that dedicated summer tires are available. Summer tires are as much of a difference above 8c (especially in the rain), just like winter tires are below that temperature. Tire education is lacking a bit in Canada, but it is slowly getting better. I honestly think when new cars are sold they should come with 4 summer tires/rims, 4 winter tires/rims, and spare tires/rims to match.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2837 posts
1150 upvotes
GTA
nffclsr wrote: The OP stated they already have winter tires. Therefor, buying no season tires makes little sense when summer tires perform dramatically better when the ambient temperature is over 8c.

I find a lot of people don't know that so called all season tires are a compromise in all 4 seasons, and that dedicated summer tires are available. Summer tires are as much of a difference above 8c (especially in the rain), just like winter tires are below that temperature. Tire education is lacking a bit in Canada, but it is slowly getting better. I honestly think when new cars are sold they should come with 4 summer tires/rims, 4 winter tires/rims, and spare tires/rims to match.
I obviously didn't quote, my bad, but my comment was specifically addressing OP's question on storing the tires in the garage until next spring.
Nov 29, 2011
920 posts
303 upvotes
Milton
qqq17 wrote: I'll be needing tires soon but with the cooler weather coming, I will be putting on winter tires.

I want to hold off on buying all reasons until next year, once the winters come off but there are some great deals on tires right not.

Any advice? If I bought the tires now and store them in my basement until spring, would that be ok? Or I buy them now and get them install and they would be used for 2 months. Or should I wait till spring?
Buy them and have them installed now, use them a couple months, then change the wheels yourself to the winters in a month or two. Or, if you're not able or willing to do the swap yourself, buy and install the new tires now, but make an appointment at the same time for them to swap out to your winters in October/November. Once October hits, tire places book up fast for weeks in advance.

But like the other user said too, if you're putting winters on, then for the rest of the year look at 3-season (spring/summer/fall) or summer tires, not all-seasons.

Remember to have each set of tires on their own rims.