Art and Photography

Should I buy a Geek Squad certified open box camera?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2019 3:10 pm
[OP]
Sep 26, 2008
145 posts
26 upvotes
Longueuil

Should I buy a Geek Squad certified open box camera?

Just as the titles says wondering peoples experience with geek squad open box and if its worth the additional savings off cameras retail cost.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2896 posts
646 upvotes
No.

Unless it's discounted 30-40% off, not the usual 10-15%.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7645 posts
1516 upvotes
Good read - https://www.cheatsheet.com/gear-style/r ... -box.html/

The grey area and concern seems to be warranty, since BB would tell you it is still covered under the same manufacturer's warranty. However, by the time you needed a warranty claim repair, would the manufacturer still honor their warranty just the same or would they back out when they see the "Open-Box" description on the receipt, that is the unknown ??

Similarly, your CC extended warranty coverage may or may not apply to "Open-Box" since it could be lumped as "Used", so you could be losing out on that, too.

If you luck out and nothing happens then it may be a good way to save but if something does go wrong then you may end up with a paper weight that is not worth to spend to fix, instead of having a working unit back in your hands.

So, agree with bhrm that if the discount is huge then may be worth the gamble but for a small saving, having the full warranty as insurance may pay out in the end.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
1800 posts
496 upvotes
Montreal
Avoid ALL Geek Squad certified products at any cost.

You've been warned.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17033 posts
3889 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a geek squad open box certified 4K HDR TV and it was in mint condition with all the original protective plastic films intact. It had not yet been previously assembled, as the stand was still separate with no evidence it had been installed and removed. Saved about 20% IIRC.

YMMV. Good luck.
Jul 15, 2003
32 posts
13 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
This is a really big YMMV. Last year I bought an open box certified phone that was absolutely pristine, with most of the protective film still on (only the screen was uncovered). But a few years back I got an open box camera that had to go in for repairs three times within a year. (Huge kudos to Sony for honouring the warranty, and actually replacing the camera with a newer model after the third repair even though it was a month or so after the year warranty had expired!) Personally I might take a chance and order, but return if it showed any signs of wear at all. But unless the savings are really significant, it might be better to just wait for the next sale.