Careers

Should I cancel an arranged interview if I change my mind and decide not to pursue that position at this moment ?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2019 9:13 am
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto

Should I cancel an arranged interview if I change my mind and decide not to pursue that position at this moment ?

The main reason not to pursue is because the position is only for half a year or less.

I am thinking if I decide not to pursue this position, I don't want them to have the feeling that I am wasting their time for interviewing and not take their offer (if they end up sending me an offer).

On the other hand, I am thinking if I go, I will have an opportunities to meet the hiring manager, just in case there will be other long term/permanent opportunities in the future. And this is the organization that I would like to get into for a permanent role.

What do you guys think ?

By the way, what is best and professional way to cancel the interview without burning bridge? Can I just say "I decide to withdraw from the application due to personal reason"?

Thanks
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote: I am thinking if I decide not to pursue this position, I don't want them to have the feeling that I am wasting their time for interviewing and not take their offer (if they end up sending me an offer).
Most people are applying for many jobs at the same time, and potentially attending several interviews. It's no big deal. People have to choose between offers all the time. Just be polite about it and get the experience from attending interviews.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
Manatus wrote: Most people are applying for many jobs at the same time, and potentially attending several interviews. It's no big deal. People have to choose between offers all the time. Just be polite about it and get the experience from attending interviews.
Thanks for the input. However, I am currently working, thus can't take too many days off for interviews. Actually, forgot to mention, I am getting another interview with another department in the same organization, which is the main reason I would like to cancel this one for the short term position.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
Just tell them honestly, nothing wrong about changing your mind.
They will be appreciated that you cancel it rather no show or went to the interview and waste everyone's time.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA
MP3_SKY wrote: Just tell them honestly, nothing wrong about changing your mind.
They will be appreciated that you cancel it rather no show or went to the interview and waste everyone's time.
This. Sometimes the truth is the best way, I've done this and they wanted me to come in really badly, tried to offer other incentives (not monetary unfortunately, flex days, company car) but the commute was not going to work out long term.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks and I agree
MP3_SKY wrote: Just tell them honestly, nothing wrong about changing your mind.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)