Careers

Should I cancel vacation

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 2:22 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55239 posts
20097 upvotes
But if laid off, all earned vacation days get paid out, correct?
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2164 posts
1974 upvotes
Ottawa
alanbrenton wrote: But if laid off, all earned vacation days get paid out, correct?
Yes, but I think legally only to what's required by the labour code, i.e. 4% of regular earnings.

That said, from a common law perspective, severance entitlement is a lot more than that.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55239 posts
20097 upvotes
Dynatos wrote: Yes, but I think legally only to what's required by the labour code, i.e. 4% of regular earnings.

That said, from a common law perspective, severance entitlement is a lot more than that.
Thanks!

That's probably why I'm not taking these once a week vacations, just in case. I can only carry forward 10 days though but it's not forced until October, which hopefully gives me a good idea whether my job is a little safer or not.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2019
1040 posts
1704 upvotes
Canada
Extrahard wrote: Some companies are forcing their employees to take their vacation, you might want to check with them. No one can answer this question but yourself. Do you feel you will burn out if you continue working until next year?
True. Taken mandated vacation this year. They are thinking we can't go when there is a second wave. Work in health care.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1958 posts
323 upvotes
Canada
apnayloags wrote: I’m on the take your vacation as planned, as you get paid for timeoff
With companies shedding staff, none of us know whose company/job will remain so taking paid vacation should be ok....
Who knows what 2021 will bring anyways??
more reason not to take a vacation
in case the company folds they owe you all the vacation pay.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10576 posts
2447 upvotes
Victoria
I've been taking mine. Took a day here or there, but that's only added up to about 5 days. Got a week scheduled in August to do a hike. Have a week in September that starts with a weekend of camping, but no actual plans for the remainder of the week. Then I have the 3 business days between Christmas and New Years off.

My job gets pretty busy, so taking a week here and there to get a break really helps. We can only rollover a max of 5 vac days, which I've already accumulated in previous years (5 day bank is already full). This means I pretty much have a use it or lose situation on my 4 weeks.

My job also isn't super easy to go away for long periods of time. I often take a week, wait a month, take another week in the summer kind of thing to break then up. For those that have jobs that allow full rollover of vac. days, do you find you have the time to take it the next year? Most of my friends that have had jobs were vac. days or lieu time builds excessively. There's no chance they ever take them.