Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1069 posts
825 upvotes
Toronto

Should I change the serpantine belt?

The car is low mileage for its age (115,000 km), and is now 11 years old. The belt looks ok from what I can tell, but given its age, should I just change it or leave it alone? The car is a 2010 civic.
8 replies
Sep 15, 2017
795 posts
905 upvotes
look at the bottom and sides of the belt, is it cracked and weathered? You can't just look at the top of the belt, it doesn't show the condition as much.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1069 posts
825 upvotes
Toronto
oilerfan89 wrote: look at the bottom and sides of the belt, is it cracked and weathered? You can't just look at the top of the belt, it doesn't show the condition as much.
Will do. If everything looks ok, is the age of the belt a concern?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6334 posts
974 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Given it's a civic, lots of room and pretty easy. If you hear squealing while belt is spinning, consider also spending a few bucks and replace those pullies. The tensioner has a long life and unless it's super squealing or lots of play, you're good. Belts are cheap too, just make sure you have the tool to move the tensioner and move the belt around.
--
I like detailing cars!
Sep 15, 2017
795 posts
905 upvotes
Jruuu wrote: Will do. If everything looks ok, is the age of the belt a concern?
Just my opinion but kms moreso than age. I bet its got some sizeable cracks if you bend it and look at the sides. Some small cracking is normal with age but if it looks like they are going almost through i'd just replace it. For 30$-40$ its peace of mind.

A simple youtube video if you've never done it before and anyone can do it with basic tools.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4681 posts
2092 upvotes
Durham Region
Just do it. It's relatively cheap.

I just replaced my belt on a 2009 Ford Fusion with 196k. The one that came off the vehicle looks perfectly fine but why take the chance? Got a new one on Amazon for $30.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1051 posts
824 upvotes
10 years is a long time, as others have mentioned it's cheap insurance, so I would have it changed if it's for my car.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17999 posts
8976 upvotes
Change it. 100K is a long amount of time to get out of a serpentine belt and if it breaks you could be left stranded. It's a cheap piece of maintenance and not done, could cost you a tow which will more than the price as the belt itself (without labour).
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4002 posts
3195 upvotes
Ottawa
I'd change it out, it's cheap (could be as cheap as having an oil and filter change) and simple to do and gives you that peace of mind for the next 100K+.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)