Computers & Electronics

Should I be concerned my Fire TV remote heats up like crazy?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2020 10:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1200 posts
194 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …

Should I be concerned my Fire TV remote heats up like crazy?

On occasion, say every 2 or 3 months, my first generation Fire TV remote suddenly stops working. Dead batteries I presume and I replace them with new ones (typical alkaline AAA). Every time I do that the remote immediately heats up. Like HOT, in seconds too hot to hold the batteries in my bare hand kind of hot. This is repeatable for as long as I want to feed it more batteries. But if I'm quick with yet another set of new batteries, I can perform the special reset function (hold down menu, back and left navigation buttons for 10 seconds) and the beast comes back to life and is good for another few months. I guess it's a pretty neat party trick having a Fire TV that's also a space heater...
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2213 posts
1269 upvotes
Calgary
I'd be concerned that you actually have to ask if it's concerning this happens. Batteries + heat = not good. Get that remote replaced!
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1322 posts
314 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
You got me worried here as I still have a 1st gen FireTV and remote (fingers crossed hasn't happened to me yet)... Problem is you can't get new replacement anywhere now
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
No concern. You got fire insurance. It's just the deductible you got to worry about.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28763 posts
9217 upvotes
badOne wrote: No concern. You got fire insurance. It's just the deductible you got to worry about.
The don't call it Fire TV for nothing! :lol:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1200 posts
194 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
I agree, Amazon is taking truth in marketing too far in this case. I've informed them (Amazon) about the issue - it's rare but others have reported it. They haven't expressed any concern to me. Can a pair of triple A alkaline batteries cause a plastic remote control to ignite? I don't know but I doubt it because the batteries tend to drain very quickly. I also don't know if heating up is what cause the remote to die in the first place, only that replacing the batteries gets it real upset.
Jan 3, 2018
132 posts
61 upvotes
Do you have any emotional attachment with your 1st gen Fire TV ?
If not, then I would suggest you replace it with say 4K Firestick...it is just awesome !!!
If you and me talk less often, then we might become best friends !!!
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10303 posts
2669 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ctrl-Z wrote: On occasion, say every 2 or 3 months, my first generation Fire TV remote suddenly stops working. Dead batteries I presume and I replace them with new ones (typical alkaline AAA). Every time I do that the remote immediately heats up. Like HOT, in seconds too hot to hold the batteries in my bare hand kind of hot. This is repeatable for as long as I want to feed it more batteries. But if I'm quick with yet another set of new batteries, I can perform the special reset function (hold down menu, back and left navigation buttons for 10 seconds) and the beast comes back to life and is good for another few months. I guess it's a pretty neat party trick having a Fire TV that's also a space heater...

I have seen that before. On the first gen firestick remote

I wager you dropped it or it was dropped at some time. It happened to my first gen fire tv right after it was dropped hard at a bad angle a few years ago. It was being dropped alot since the kids used it. I just happened to be right there the time it the floor and went burning hot.

I didn't bother investigating figure something cracked! a connection/solder or the BT chip. But it got burning hot and lost all functions so I just yanked the batteries.

You can by 10 buck firetv stick remote to replace it or order a new remote 4k style they work too.Or designate it to be used on a cec supported tv and just use your tv's remote.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1200 posts
194 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
freeduty wrote: Do you have any emotional attachment with your 1st gen Fire TV ?
If not, then I would suggest you replace it with say 4K Firestick...it is just awesome !!!
Only real attachment I have to it is that is has built-in Ethernet so I don't have to deal with iffy wi-fi or buy an adapter. I also like that it has optical out and USB for a keyboard. And I just bought a clip-on piece of hardware to control TV volume functions. And the fact that it works perfectly fine MOST of the time.

I do have a 4K Fire TV on another TV which I like and I guess I'll buy another one (plus Ethernet adapter, sigh) to replace the 1st generation one when next on sale.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1200 posts
194 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
lead wrote:

You can by 10 buck firetv stick remote to replace it or order a new remote 4k style they work too.Or designate it to be used on a cec supported tv and just use your tv's remote.
As far as I can tell, there are no replacement remotes for FireTV 1st generation devices (there may well be for the FireSTICK). Using an app on my cell phone as the remote is definitely not for me.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10303 posts
2669 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ctrl-Z wrote: As far as I can tell, there are no replacement remotes for FireTV 1st generation devices (there may well be for the FireSTICK).
all the remotes from the firestick first gen bt remote upto and including the the most recent 4k remote version. They all work on all firetv devices now. You just need to be running the latest update.
Ctrl-Z wrote: Using an app on my cell phone as the remote is definitely not for me.
I was referring to using cec. That way your tv's remote works on the firetv.
https://www.howtogeek.com/207186/how-to ... ou-should/
Oct 11, 2020
1 posts
I just had the same issue with my for TV stick. The back was very very hot so we opened it ,took the batteries out . They were also very very hot. Too hot to hold in your hand . So this is a problem. Has there been a recall on the fire stick?